• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" 1:8 6.5 grendel for new shooter doing mid range targets?

SockToy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2020
United States
So, I'm in NJ, meaning I have a bunch of weird laws to comply with. We also have 7 acres or so in upstate NY, and so want to build something NY state compliant.

I'm already building up a Fightlite SCR with gibbz g4 side charging upper, Vortex ii-e 1-6x and proof 16" 1:8 mid 223 wylde carbon barrel.
But now, the barrel isn't due to arrive till end may - originally estimated at 10-20 days.

I figure... why not order another barrel, bolt, magazine, to let me get up and running sooner, and give me some choice between calibers later on? Something cheap enough to not be wasteful when the proof arrives, but good enough to enjoy and keep around.

I find deadshot barrels interesting. For 350$ I could get a stainless steel 6.5" grendel barrel with target crown, headmatched bolt, cerakote to match the existing upper, gas system to match the existing block. Save 30$ and go chromoly. Spend another 200$ and go with a name brand barrel blank.

For the inclusion of the bolt, and saving on not having to have someone pin and weld a thread protector on an off the shelf barrel the stainless @ 350ish seems pretty good - but I do read some concerns from several years ago about them not using SAAMI chambers.

I guess a couple questions...
1. Is 20" 1:8 twist about right to learn on? short enough to be general purpose, long enough to get decent velocity? choices are 1:7-1:9 twist
2. I have an adjustable .750 block, but I figure rifle length gas system for this one at 20"
3. Fluting is an option, but expensive - 100-125$ - so I guess I'll skip. Marginal weight savings & heat disspation for 1/3 the cost of the barrel?
4. 6.5 grendel the right caliber to be thinking of for a generally available round that can go a long way and fit an AR15 receiver?
5. Has anyone heard of deadshot? I'm attracted because I wont have to pay to pin & weld a thread protector for NY on another barrel, and they seem reasonably avaialble... but reasonable price and availability right now makes me wonder whats up with them

Many thanks - really appreciate any opinions, and even more any explanations. I'm still in learning mode.

M

Last edited:
1. 1:8 twist is just fine, and is what you'll find in the majority of Grendel barrels. 1:7 or 1:7.5 are pretty common as well, and can be helpful if you're shooting heavy projectiles from short barrels. I wouldn't recommend 1:9, although it's probably fine with a 20" barrel.
2. Adjustable gas shouldn't be necessary, but it never hurts to have the option. I have a midlength 18" barrel from Alexander Arms that runs like a champ - no adjustments necessary. Rifle length gas will run even smoother.
3. I wouldn't pay extra for fluting, but if a barrel comes that way at a reasonable price, then go for it. Alexander Arms and Faxon make fluted barrels for about $250. Or you can get a slim profile barrel that weighs & shoots about the same, but costs less. If you want to save weight, just get a slim profile barrel.
4. 6.5G is a great all around caliber. I'd also consider the 6mm ARC if you're doing more target shooting than hunting. I jumped on the 6.5G bandwagon a while ago and really like the caliber. If I was jumping in today, it'd probably be a coin toss between 6.5G and 6ARC. But since I'm already invested in 6.5G, I'm in no rush to switch. Just make sure you can find ammo before you jump in. Everything is hard to come by these days...
5. Never heard of Deadshot. I'd recommend looking at Craddock Precision or Compass Lake Engineering if you want a custom barrel (perhaps a 20-22" non-threaded barrel would save you some headaches in NY?). It will cost more than Deadshot, but I'm 100% confident that they'll be more accurate from the start. Call them to see what they can do for you. If you want an off the shelf barrel that should shoot around MOA (or better if you're lucky), I'd look at Criterion, SixFiveArms, Alexander Arms, or Faxon. But I suspect you'll have to worry about the threaded barrel in NY.

Last edited:
Reactions: SockToy
Another monkey in the wrench: if you don't have grendel ammo on hand, getting a barrel/bolt isn't going to be your rate-limiter.

I run an 18" with rifle length gas, suppressed, and it is titties. But, it is a gasser. If you are running 20" for velocity, rock on; but this won't be giving you bolt gun precision, so set expectations accordingly. If you have plans to go to 1k, velocity will be your friend. If, as the title says, you are more interested in mid-range (as the scope also implies), maximum barrel length isn't going to do much for you.
Grendel is a great caliber, it is my favorite all-purpose gun in an AR15 receiver.

Were I looking to get into a new caliber on a specific timeline, I'd solve for ammo before worrying about the barrel.

Last edited:
Reactions: SockToy
Were I looking to get into a new caliber on a specific timeline, I'd solve for ammo before worrying about the barrel.

Man you aren't kidding. It hadn't ocurred to me that something could be /more/ constrained than 9mm. I've been stocking 9mm and 223... yeah, grendel is short. How depressing.

Maybe I hurry up and wait for the 223 barrel.

Do you have a source for 6.5 Grendel ammo? M855 has been all I’ve been able to find locally...

When I was farting around on the internet the other day I noticed that the 123gr SST Hornady ammo was *selling* for $2.50 - 3.00 per round. I bought some last year for ~$1 a pop. Thank goodness I reload and saw the writing on the wall before the last election. I do put down a fair number of hogs and other pests every year, and that takes a bit of ammo. No way I'd want to venture into a new cartridge right now.

Having both a 6.5 Grendel AR and a 6.5 CM bolt gun, I find it way easier to go through 100 rds with the Grendel when we plink at mid range of 300-600. The bolt gun makes me slow down enough to really enjoy the experience.

Not to say I don't enjoy getting back on target with the Grendel and sending another down range as soon as I re-acquire a sight picture, but it reminds me of tearing into a bowl of tortilla chips with some good salsa nearby. I'm done before I sit down.

It has been said here many times before: discipline is much harder on a gasser than on a bolt gun. It's why we gave the crayon-eaters the SAWs and 60s, and made the up-and-coming window-lickers carry the ammo - back when I was young and stupid.

Or stupid-er.