• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20/50 vs 50bmg and 338LM

millsd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Anyone thoughts on the 20/50 cartridge as a long range alternative to the 50 or 338? I have the latter and will likely have a 50 by end of year, but while I'm waiting, just looking around at other options that may or may not be better...

Re: 20/50 vs 50bmg and 338LM

What's a 20/50? 20mm case with a 50 cal bullet in it?

I built a 7mm/270 as a cheaper alternative to a 338 while not giving up much beyond downrange energy.

yes, it's a necked down 20mm with a 50 cal bullet. Looks impressive, but I don't really know anything about how well it shoots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, it's a necked down 20mm with a 50 cal bullet. Looks impressive, but I don't really know anything about how well it shoots. </div></div>

Gale McMillan created the 50 "Fat Mac" for this purpose as I recall. It supposedly throws a 750 Amax at 34-3500fps, it's essentially a 50 Short Mag, using a 20 Vulcan case chopped and necked to 50 cal.

The neck is exceedingly short, in the 1/2 caliber range it appears from pictures. Barrel life is appropriately short as well.

EDIT: I was mistaken with information that I quoted from past reading, <span style="font-weight: bold">Later</span> cleared up the actual performance of the round below.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Millsd said:
Barrel life is approprately short as well, but for what it does, it does well. </div></div>

The fat mac is different to my knowledge, but with a barrel life of 100 rounds...I suppose I can see why this hasn't gained in popularity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
but for what it does, it does well.</div></div>

Actually that is not correct..It did NOT do well in regards to what it was designed for. They could not even complete a 1000yd BR string completed without the thing fouling so bad that the last couple in the string would be off the entire target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Millsd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes, it's a necked down 20mm with a 50 cal bullet. Looks impressive, but I don't really know anything about how well it shoots.</div></div>

You don't hear anything about it because there are issues with it
smile.gif
and the only people contemplating one are the people that by into the "faster is always better hype". Heck I was only about 2 steps from having my design completed but that evolved due to the same issues and I was not gonna waste any more time on something that was not gonna do what I wanted it to do. This concept as well as my concept was to bridge the gap between ELR shooting and HTI shooting....well it doesn't so it is what it is
smile.gif

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Later</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
but for what it does, it does well.</div></div>

Actually that is not correct..It did NOT do well in regards to what it was designed for. They could not even complete a 1000yd BR string completed without the thing fouling so bad that the last couple in the string would be off the entire target.
</div></div>

I read one or two small articles about it and the consensus was it was a barrel burner but it shot well. I haven't seen it firsthand, I'll trust your information on it over something that I have no idea what the pedigree is.

Thanks for adding and putting out the good info, I'm going to change my post above so it doesn't get confused later.