• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" Barrel not good enough?

BULL-IT

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Brooksville,FL
I told a friend of mine at work i picked up a 700 SPS tactical with the 20" barrel.
He thinks i am an idiot for getting a 20" barrel!
He said i wont keep a good group a 300 yard with it.
Is this true or is he crazy?

Re: 20" Barrel not good enough?

Its Been talked about over and over here on the Hide,20" barrel on a 308 can stretch its legs up to 1000 yards effectively with a good nut behind the trigger.do a search here.

10-4 on the search.

And i have never had a good group at 300, i was hoping this rifle would help.

20" for .308 should be fine unless you wanted to shoot a really heavy bullet load with slow powder. In fact many feel the shorter barrel can be more accurate since it's stiffer. That's a whole different can of worms but suffice it to say with normal loads 20" in a .308 is fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crazy! The question is can you keep a good group at 300?</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ToddM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20" for .308 should be fine unless you wanted to shoot a really heavy bullet load with slow powder. In fact many feel the shorter barrel can be more accurate since it's stiffer. That's a whole different can of worms but suffice it to say with normal loads 20" in a .308 is fine. </div></div>

That makes me feel a little better, i was ready to sell it and get a longer barrel.

I had a 7mm mauser, i hit paper at 300, thats it. I could never keep a tight group.

20 is the latest and greatest!
grin.gif

2005 world benchrest championships:
WBC%20Red.jpg

I hear that every once in a while these guys shoot a decent group, and my, look how short their barrels are!

20 is the new 26.... hadn't you heard!

20 is fine, your buddy is on crack.

My 700 Tactical does ok with it's 20" barrel.... 500 metre group.

_MG_0026.jpg

_MG_0041.jpg

Then why give a shit what a douche thinks? lol Rock that 20 inches. Might want to think about a new stock, when coin permits.

Mike

I switched mine to a PSS stock. Perfect fit, good stock, and the proce was right about $200.

Well shit BULL-IT I am from just North of you in Bama, I don't condemn rednecks at all, Just folks that don't quite know what they are talking about. The B&C stock are good as I understand, never used one. I have used many HS stock and have been really happy with them but, I do have them bedded, even with the aluminium block.

Mike

20" is to long chop it 18 that's all you need at the effective rang of a 308!

Each length has its advantages. I have a AI AW with a 20 inch and a 26 inch. The advantages of the 26 inch are that you get less muzzle blast/flash and softer recoil because the barrel is 6 inches further away from your face. I get quicker followup shots and stay on target better with the 26 inch barrel. You also get more velocity with the 26 inch and every bit helps. The advantage of the 20 inch is that it is more portable. The balance seems to be the same and I think it is because the 26 inch has a thinner profile. The 20 inch is very trendy right now and allot of guys have a hard time being objective about the advantages and disadvantages of different barrel lengths. The 20 inch has the edge in some urban enviornments based on manuvering. Once your set up in your hide I think the 26 inch is better because it has less muzzle blast/flash and recoil with quicker follow up shots. By the way I have a folding stock which allows me to use a shorter drag bag and realize this is not a common option on the Remington series which is why alot of guys go with the 20 inch. What ultimately matters is what you shoot best with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaylorM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sweater in the picture has to hurt with accuracy more than a 20" barrel
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah those benchrest folks can be out there......
Point I had was most benchrest folks these days are using stubby little barrels.

Bull-it, an LTR stock would do you really well!

remington sps tactical with a 20 inch barrel and a pss stock is about the best bang for the buck rifles out there. not to mention they are super accurate. Given its no ga precession but it will get you moa at the very least.