• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" Benchrest Heavy Varmint vs. 22" Medium Varmint .308

BClean

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2019
Hello folks,

I am currently in the process of having a custom rifle build by my most trusted gunny. It will be chambered in .308 due to this calibers hugh versatility, availablitity of its ammunition around the globe, its enherited accuracy and all the other well known aspects.

The rifle will be used mostly for hunting, specifically hogs and varmint, as I am not much interested in other game. I like the challenge to deal with smart species. Occasionally I will head to the range and do some training from time to time, meaning shooting at ranges of 100m most of the time. In addition to that I will visit our fellow american hunters and riflemen at Baumholder (Germany) that do have 300m and 480m ranges. At my gunny´s place they have a tunnel of 500 m length to shoot in and that one is equipped with all necessary stuff for precision shooting and its preps. My gunny is multiple german champion in 100 and 300 m precision rifle with his own builds and located in the neighborhood to this tunnel. That´s about all we can shoot around here in terms of competition or generally speaking "long range shooting". For you guys inthe US, of course, this sounds rather ridiculous, but the matter of the fact is I need to dance with those girls on the dance floor.

Hunting wise most of my hunting is usually at night (hogs) and mostly from a raised blind at distances between 40 and 150 m and rarely out to 300m so weight is of minor concern. That said I im thinking about changing my order with the gunny and go for a 20" benchrest heavy varmint contour instead of the originally intended 22" medium varmint. I think, shorter stiffer barrels that have double the length in cylindric form in the chamber area starting later with tapering should produce vibs at higher frequencies and lower amplitude than longer barrels with taperring started right behind the chamber. On the downside the BRHV barrel weights in at more than 1 pound over the MV barrel, which may be of a certain concern for hunting. On the other hand the BRHV should be better ballanced as the mean weight concentrates in the middle of the rig.

Scope (ZCO 527) will be rather heavy too as will the mount (Spuhr 6002). Rifling is the common 1:12 twist. I intend to use the rifle with a can. That´s about all I can say about the build.

I would highly appreciate any recommendations, comments and thoughts out there from you experienced shooters and riflemen. If down the road it should turn out, that the stiffer barrel and additional weight does not give me any advantage over the lighter but longer MV barrel, I may eventually stick with the MV. Apologies for my poor english.

Regards

Bernhard

Your written English is excellent Bernard! If you want to use this rifle as a hunting rig I would be concerned about the Heavy Varmint barrel weight when you're taking shots in the field.

If it’s blind hunting and you don’t have an awful hike to the blind the weight won’t hurt anything.

That’s said you’re basically choosing between two pretty identical options as far as actual performance goes. The speed gains you would gain with 2” of barrel could be negated by the individual barrels performance/preferences.

Reactions: XLR308
Your English is far better than my Deutsche. I did a tour at Baumholder back in 2016 as an attachment to an Army Group, and loved the countryside.

That being said, I do a lot on feral hog eradication where I'm at, and am friends with a few gentlemen who do it as a way of life.

You will see no real difference in bullet performance on hogs between the two lengths you mentioned, and very minor difference in handling. No need to over think this.

The great thing about the .308 is that the relatively inexpensive 150-165 grain soft point projectiles do wonders on bringing big pigs down.

Thank you guys for your answers.
@ spife7980: Indeed I don´t have long ways to go to the blinds, so weight is not important. A much bigger issue would be easy handling of the rifle inside the blind which speaks for the shorter barrel. I used to shoot a lot out of my 8X68S and it was always let´s say suboptimal. I wonder if accuracy suffers in case I would do some competition shooting at 300 m which is max here in Germany. In theory the shorter thus stiffer barrel being stronger overall should be the better choice when it comes to accuracy. It should also be more forgiving in terms of fundamentals of marksmanship. Your assessment is much appreciated.

@diggler1833: seems your judgement is similar to spife 7980´s. If I get it right, it boils down to personal preference rather than technical relevance
from a hunting perspective. Competition wise it may be different as even small divergences can make for victory or loss. More important is the head thing....if I know, the rifle shoots beyond any doubt, I am urged to improve on my own skills instead of trying to figure out, what the rifle did wrong ;-). Here we say...if the farmer can´t swim the swimming trunks are always to blame.

As you state the speed gain would be no more than marginal, I wonder if going even further back say to 18 " on the heavy one would be of any advantage in terms of handling without giving up anything in accuracy.

Thank you guys for your answers.
@ spife7980: Indeed I don´t have long ways to go to the blinds, so weight is not important. A much bigger issue would be easy handling of the rifle inside the blind which speaks for the shorter barrel. I used to shoot a lot out of my 8X68S and it was always let´s say suboptimal. I wonder if accuracy suffers in case I would do some competition shooting at 300 m which is max here in Germany. In theory the shorter thus stiffer barrel being stronger overall should be the better choice when it comes to accuracy. It should also be more forgiving in terms of fundamentals of marksmanship. Your assessment is much appreciated.

@diggler1833: seems your judgement is similar to spife 7980´s. If I get it right, it boils down to personal preference rather than technical relevance
from a hunting perspective. Competition wise it may be different as even small divergences can make for victory or loss. More important is the head thing....if I know, the rifle shoots beyond any doubt, I am urged to improve on my own skills instead of trying to figure out, what the rifle did wrong ;-). Here we say...if the farmer can´t swim the swimming trunks are always to blame.

As you state the speed gain would be no more than marginal, I wonder if going even further back say to 18 " on the heavy one would be of any advantage in terms of handling without giving up anything in accuracy.

Todd Huey kills a ton of pigs with a 16" .308 in an AR platform. Sometimes he uses a .308 with an even shorter barrel. You can see a lot of his rifle/load reviews on YouTube under the name: Lonestarboars. As far as handling, shorter is usually easier. And other than your sensitivity to muzzle blast or recoil, you should see no real difference in accuracy...however certain accuracy nodes can exist in different barrel lengths, even with the same ammo. It should not be much, but harmonics are nearly impossible to predict.

18.5" is what the XM 3 was and it filled all the needs on your list. The 165 serria gameking with 43 grains of Rl15 shoots into the same group as the 168 matchking with the same charge. It should run 2450 to 2500fps depending on the barrel and can. In my 26" it's 2625.
Short fat and slow is the way to go!!

Last edited:
Running a can on a hunting rifle, I’d recommend going short. I did a 20” 308 and I love it, but now that I have a can, I sometimes wish I’d done 18”. At your intended ranges, you won’t be giving up much performance, but you will gain ease of handling and possibly accuracy because of added stiffness.

good luck and many wishes of fun shooting your new toy when completed

Hey guys, just back from a hog hunt in France I notice that I got more replies than I ever expected and all of them are much appreciated. As a result of the recommendations and judgements I received I will have my gunny enter into further discussion via 18" or 18.5" barrel lenght. Your thoughts are matching my theoretical approach. Considering the ranges I am going to shoot within and my hunting preferences 18 to 18.5" of a fat benchrest heavy varmint contour and a good can should be not too bad. I think I will go for that one unless my gunny should strongly object this combination.

I will keep you informed of my gunny's opinion as well as my final decision and of course promise to post pics of the rig as soon as it will have materialized. Thanks everybody for your support.

@ Bare There: Due to federal law I am not allowed to use minor than 6.5 mm cal for hunting boar. I personally think it is stupid, as shot placement is the best caliber ever, but it is what it is here in good old Germany.

Regards

Bernhard

Last edited:
Reactions: ubettcha