• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing $20 Coyote Bounty Shoot All You Can!

Phil1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2009
Minot N.D.
REGINA — The battle between producers and coyotes over livestock has just taken a turn in favour of producers with the announcement of a new program aimed at controlling Saskatchewan's growing coyote population.

Agriculture Minister Bob Bjornerud told Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities members on Tuesday that a $20 bounty has been placed on the heads — or more specifically, paws — of the province's problematic predators.

"They're getting awfully domesticated and it's dangerous out there for farm families that have little kids where they're coming right in the yards," Bjornerud told reporters after the announcement. "In some cases, they're taking the farm dog and leading him out of the yard and then killing him, too. So it's just a dramatic problem out there for all producers, but especially the sheep producers in the province."

The Saskatchewan Coyote Control Program — a pilot program running until March 31 — invites producers and hunters to kill coyotes, then take all four paws to the local RM office to verify kills.

Once the hunter submits a declaration to the government, the province will pay $20. The program covers all coyotes in Saskatchewan RMs, but hunters must respect public safety and landowner rights by first receiving permission to hunt on private land. Hunters must also respect no-hunting zones like provincial parks and trapping blocks.

Some livestock producers praised the program, having themselves lost animals to the predators.

"This is one of the greatest things that's ever been announced in the history of Saskatchewan ... ," enthused cattle producer Paul Rybka from the RM of Prince Albert. "We lost six calves last year from coyotes. Also, they've moved right into our yard and now they're eating the farm cats."

Rybka said a provincial predation officer helped him and a neighbour hunt coyotes for 1 1/2 months last winter. Between them, they killed 57.

"This was last winter and now, this spring and this summer, they're right back in our yard again," he said.

So far, coyotes have killed six of the family's 11 farm cats and Rybka said he also worries for his grandchildren as the coyotes are moving in packs of five and six.

Montmartre-area cattle producer, Edwin Martel, is also pleased with the program. While he hasn't had a problem with coyotes bothering his herd, he has seen them "all over" his area.

Kelly Williamson from the Pambrun area hasn't seen many. Like Martel, Williamson said coyotes have left his cattle alone, and wondered if a coyote-control program is truly necessary. In fact, he said it could be bad for farmers in his area who have problems with ground squirrels and other rodents.

"I can't see the logic of trying to eradicate one of the major predators of an already-problem species," he said.

But Rybka said gophers are also running rampant in his area, seeming to quash the idea that coyotes are eating the rodents.

In March, the government will evaluate the program before deciding whether to continue.

http://www.leaderpost.com/technology/Sas...6730/story.html

Re: $20 Coyote Bounty Shoot All You Can!

That would be so much fun. I heard a similiar story like this one in Ohio or Illinois one about farmers contracting hunters out to take care of coyotes. I personally would do it for free. I cant stand those little bastards.

If there was a bounty on hogs.... i'd take a semester off of school just to kill them.

great article.Did you have any contact numbers to call-aimed specifically at someone who could provides specifis on are ranchers etc?

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=8155f538-6052-4598-a799-d1209c01a1e9

For regs, although this coyote policy is something new so prehaps it's not covered by a trapping-furbearers lisc.

The Rural Municipality offices might have locations of specific farms. But generally speaking less than 1% of all land is posted no hunting. once the crop is off, if the land is not posted, you're GTG.

We've had a $20 bounty on them for years..... wish I could kill more.

I have never been able to kill a coyote while hunting coyotes.
They are like white tails.. to smart for me.

I like to hunt dumb animals, that let me shoot them, like mule deer, ground squirrels, and prairie dogs.

Lets start an annual snipershide roadtrip for these mangy beasts.We could split expenses.