• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" diameter steel plate

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
OK, I have a 10". Its a bit hard to hit beyond 800 yards (I have hit it at 950). Anyway, I am wanting a 20" plate. But... if it is for 800 yards plus I think I can get by with 1/4" steel. Do they make 1/4" hardened steel? At 800 yards with my 308 it is about like pistol round.

Anyone know if this is possible and if so who could do it?

Re: 20" diameter steel plate

You can get 50%, 66% and 75% IPSC targets. They are AR500 steele, so you don't have to worry about shooting them at closer distances. There are a few vendors on this site that supply them.

I have shot 1/4" AR500 as close as 400 yards with a .338LM and just BARELY leaves a mark.

Does moving to a much larger target make you a better shooter?
I would spend the cash on some paper targets, shoot many groups and work on the core issue. Getting better at shooting
smile.gif

The ideal target is one that is hard to hit, that way you have a goal. If you make it too easy you really don't gain anything other than having fun "plinking".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does moving to a much larger target make you a better shooter?
I would spend the cash on some paper targets, shoot many groups and work on the core issue. Getting better at shooting
smile.gif

The ideal target is one that is hard to hit, that way you have a goal. If you make it too easy you really don't gain anything other than having fun "plinking".</div></div>

So what's the right ratio (if there even is one)?

If I'm hitting a target roughly 50% of the time, does that mean I need to go smaller? Seems like a tough call to make, because increasing the difficulty can also bump up the frustration level. And of course, the intended use for the target also matters...

Are you "stuck" at 50%?
If you are not getting better then it's time to find out why. Get your accurate .22Rf out and use it.
Put some paper out and see how you are grouping. It is wind?
What are you doing wrong?
Pulling?

I wouldnt spend money on a 2MOA target for precision work.
1-1.5 MOA. I like 1MOA. I'm ok with 1.5. At 2 I am quite unhappy. 50% hits on a MOA sized target at 1K is nice. If you know where your other shots are it's even better. Having something so big you can't miss or you have no goal other than a "hit" really does not do much for you.

Go by heavy equipment dealer and buy some used cutting edges. They sell them for scrape after they are replaced. Almost unlimited sizes and they are hard as you can find. Just filled up the back of my truck with 8 of them the other day for $5. Do a little cutting and welding and you have an unbreakable target.

Yep, i visited the local earthmoving bucket repairer, they had a mountain of scrap AR400 in all shapes and sizes... took as much as i wanted free of charge
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: groovebus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I buy my 1/4" AR400 steel plates from metal recycling places in several different sizes. </div></div>

Where at in orange county are you getting your metal from?

Go to your local railway yard. They have different sized cross plates. Some are 6x6, 7x14, and 8x14. They are harder than woodpecker lips and make great longrange targets. You can weld them togeather or hang them side ways or length ways.