• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 inch 3006 barrels 1:9 or 1:10 twist

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Looking at getting a short 20 inch 3006 barrel spun up. I usually shoot 175 smks, but will shoot heavier as well. I'm a fan of 150 grain hornady SSTs for hunting. When I use the JBM calculator, I get better stability with the 1:9 in an estimated velocity (3.09 vs 2.05). Would a 1:9 twist barrel be worth it? or is a 1:10 good enough? Am I overthinking?

Is this a trick question? Is the 1:9 more money or something?

Reactions: BLEE
Don't over-spin if you don't have to.
Your 1-10" will be more than fine for any bullet you will reasonably ever shoot.

Too many people go running toward faster twist rates when discussing shorter barrels. The vast majority of the time, that is not an issue in the first place.

Fast Fact: If you are not going to run suppressed, you may want to budget a motorcycle helmet with full face shield to wear in addition to your ear pro because that 20 inch 30-06 is going to be like dropping a Flash Bang every time you pull the trigger!

Last edited:
Excellent, thank you guys, I think I will go with a 1:10 no reason to re-invent the wheel. True on the noise, I may go with a 24 inch again, or cut back to a 22 inch to make it is a smidge bit more maneuverable. Not planning to supress....