20 inch Criterion hybrid profile chrome lined first shots

rdsii64

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    The other day my Criterion hybrid profile chrome lined barrel arrived. I got it all mounted up last night and took it to the range today. I don't have a load worked up, yet but I used some 62 grain BTHP's I loaded for my 20 inch BCM just to function check it, get it on paper, and get out of the house.

I wasn't expecting much in the accuracy department since I was shooting a load for another rifle. Consistency regardless of group size was all I cared about today.
    It shot my BCM load better than I expected. It was consistently grouping 5 shots around 3/4" and I even had a few 1/2" zingers.(remember this was with a load I worked up for another rifle)
    When I actually work up a good 75 grain load for this barrel I have no doubts I can get bellow 3/4".

Since its not much heavier than a .gov profile ( think .750 from end to end) it will give some heat related accuracy issues. It just takes longer. As great as this barrel is, its not in the Compass lake, or white oak armament league. To be fair I didn't expect to act like one either.
    So after the first 160 rounds, Its stacking up to be a real shooter. I just wish I would have picked one up sooner.

As a side note, the folks at Criterion told me I can expect a service life anywhere 17,000 to 20,000 rounds baring abuse and excessive mag dumps. Now if they define service life the same way I do. (the amount of time it will hold its best accuracy) this is the best barrel money I have ever spent.

Last edited:

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2011
    Georgia
    Damn! If you're really gettin sub minute with a CL barrel..I'd absolutely agree thats a helluva nice shit-hot tube you got there sir!

rdsii64

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    Damn! If you're really gettin sub minute with a CL barrel..I'd absolutely agree thats a helluva nice shit-hot tube you got there sir!

Chrome lined barrels don't shoot nearly as bad as people think. My 20 inch BCM barrel will hold 1.5 inch groups until it get hot then its a 2 MOA affair. Not nearly the 3 to 4 MOA disasters people accuse them of. My Criterion barrel is actually hand lapped. Its the only hand lapped chrome lined barre I know of.

RO'K

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2013
    This is from the first magazine at 100 yards
    Aero Precision M5 upper/lower
    16" Criterion chrome lined barrel from Optic's Planet
    Athlon 1-6x Midas scope
    147gr M80 pulls and H414. Blaster ammo.
    NO COMPLAINTS!

Attachments

• photo76112.jpg
      photo76112.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 24

rdsii64

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    This is from the first magazine at 100 yards
    Aero Precision M5 upper/lower
    16" Criterion chrome lined barrel from Optic's Planet
    Athlon 1-6x Midas scope
    147gr M80 pulls and H414. Blaster ammo.
    NO COMPLAINTS!

Now I wan't another for my 308 to!

bfoosh006

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Jun 13, 2007
    PNW
    Criterion makes great barrels.... my 18" .308AR Criterion Hybrid SS Nitrated middie loves 168gr FGMM ....100yds, benched , scoped, bagged front , squeeze rear.

Attachments

• photo76344.jpg
      photo76344.jpg
      19.8 KB · Views: 10
    • photo76345.jpg
      photo76345.jpg
      16.7 KB · Views: 9
    • photo76346.jpg
      photo76346.jpg
      18.7 KB · Views: 12

ChadL

Learning.
    Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2017
    Lincoln, NE
    I recently bought the exact same barrel as the OP. Criterion 20" hybrid contour chrome lined barrel. I've been very pleased so far. To date I have just shot factory ammo. I haven't had the time to start working up a load yet. Part of my idea with this build was to have a rifle that shoots a factory ammo really well. My other rifles are reload only so I wanted something I could buy ammo for those times I didn't get to reload.
    The hole 3" or so above the center is the 2nd sighter round. The first was at the bottom left of the paper. The next three are an example of potential groupings I'm seeing with Federal Premium with berger ammo. I generally don't take pics of groups. Yes, it's just 3 shots, I know I know, and I did cherry pick. The 5 shot groups were all around .750". I'm still coming to terms with the optic. It uses a chevron as the aiming point. Not quite as precise as a crosshair. Once I get accustomed to the optic I think the groups will consistently hold in the .750 or less with the federal/berger ammo. I did try cheap ppu match ammo. I really hoped that would shoot well because it's so inexpensive. However, that shit shot all over the place. Kind of like me back in college :cool:

Attachments

• Federal-berger.jpg
      Federal-berger.jpg
      112.6 KB · Views: 14

longshot2000

Sniper's Hide Dealer: CHARLIE'S
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Northern VA
    charliescustomclones.com
    Chrome lined barrels don't shoot nearly as bad as people think. My 20 inch BCM barrel will hold 1.5 inch groups until it get hot then its a 2 MOA affair. Not nearly the 3 to 4 MOA disasters people accuse them of. My Criterion barrel is actually hand lapped. Its the only hand lapped chrome lined barre I know of.

Chrome lined is one category. Criterion chrome-line, is in another league. They have figured out how to make chrome lining work with accuracy. The Dahlke family has done a lot with Criterion, and they are great people to work with. Their other barrels are great as well (and I think a little better accuracy), but they have found some way to get the chrome into the barrel and be incredibly consistent. While other production barrel blank makers are quoting accuracy to +/-0.002", Criterion is at 0005" of variance from breach to muzzle.

rdsii64

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2008
    North Carolina, USA
    Update: So far my new Criterion barrel loves 25.9 grains of AA2520 and a Hornady 62 grain BTHP, in a Lake City Case and a Wolf small rifle primer. its a solid 3/4 MOA load.

With that under my belt I started working on a 77 grain load. ( The 62 grain load was for my BCM rifle anyway) The weird part is that It doesn't like 77 grain Nosler CC bullets with that powder. What I mean by doesn't like, is that it hovers around 1 to 1 1/4 MOA. I KNOW THIS BARREL CAN DO BETTER THAN THAT! Since I have a metric sh#t ton of Lake city brass and wolf primers, changing that part of the equation ain't happening.

First I'm going to order a 50 count box of Black hills 77 grain to make sure I don't have the only 8 twist barrel on the planet that doesn't like heavy bullets. I have never seen an AR15 with the proper twist that wouldn't shoot black hills 77 grain ammo. If it works like I think it will, then I will either find a powder that my barrel likes with the 77 grain Nosler or give the Sierra bullet a try.
    In the mean time I have some left over 75 grain Hornadys I'll try on my next range trip. If that doesn't give me what I want, I'll have an excuse to go get me some TAC or maybe some CFE223 and try those with both bullets and see what happens. I hear xbr8202 meters ok in progressive presses. I would try RL15 but I want to stick with ball powders because I load on a Dillon. Regardless of what I find, 3/4 MOA with the 62 grain bullets I have right now ain't nothing to sneeze at. I'll keep AA2520 on hand because my 308 AR and my BCM 5.56 barrel both love this powder.

Last edited:

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County

I agree. They are fewer and far between but I have a chromed-lined scionics barrel I had cut/crowned at 14.5” and it’s a solid .75 moa on the regular with federal 55 ball. Plan on shooting it with some match stuff soon just to see what it will actually do.

Potss

Minuteman
    Feb 16, 2017
    I'd like to see a 5x5 or 3x10 on that Sionics...

And while yes CL barrels can be accurate, they cannot attain the same levels of accuracy as a melonited barrel.

OP, those are some awesome results though, Criterion makes great stuff.