• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 moa base and 50 moa of adjustment - Problem?

MudBug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2005
Arizona
I'm struggling to find a scope for my CZ 452 varmit> I want something that will be good out to 200 yards and I think I found somehting but I'm not sure.

I'm looking at a Weaver V-16, but it only has 50 MOA of adjustment. I have the 20 moa base for my CZ, so I think that will get me out to 200 yards, but I think at 50 yards I will be hovering in the top 5 moa of adjustment.

Is this OK? Will this be screwing me on being able to adjust for closer ranges?

Re: 20 moa base and 50 moa of adjustment - Problem?

It will be tight. There's not guarantee that will or will not work. It depends on the tolerances of the receiver, the rail fitment and the actual adjustments available in the scope. Personally, I try to stay out of the last 5moa of adjustment with any scope since the adjustments can become nonlinear.

If Weaver lists 50moa, it might actually have more or alittle less. There's no way to be certain other than to try it. A 15moa base work be a safer bet, but I don't think anyone makes one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It will be tight. There's not guarantee that will or will not work. It depends on the tolerances of the receiver, the rail fitment and the actual adjustments available in the scope. Personally, I try to stay out of the last 5moa of adjustment with any scope since the adjustments can become nonlinear.

If Weaver lists 50moa, it might actually have more or alittle less. There's no way to be certain other than to try it. <span style="color: #FF0000"> </span> </div></div>

This is the problem. I have a standard base and a 20 moa canted base and I don't think either is gonna work.

I don't think I have ever had this much trouble figuring out which scope to get, I was really hoping the weaver would be it. GRRR

TPS makes a 15 MOA, if I am not mistaken, and Seekins may be able to do one for you.

Mud,

If you can find a scope with about 60moa, that would work for certain. Chances are the Weaver will work and once you get it zeroed at 50yds, you'll be dialing up and it should track well going up, but my concern would be if it tracks correctly all the way back down to your 50yd zero, since you could be down in that last 5moa of adjustment. OR you could luck out and you could be left with 7-10moa of adjustment on the bottom, which would be perfect. BTW does the Weaver have resettable target knobs?

I have Warne rings and Weaver bases on my 504 and have no issue getting to 200 with a Super Sniper.
Parallax adjustment to 10 meters and no need to build up a cheekpiece to get good cheek weld and sight picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mud,

If you can find a scope with about 60moa, that would work for certain. Chances are the Weaver will work and once you get it zeroed at 50yds, you'll be dialing up and it should track well going up, but my concern would be if it tracks correctly all the way back down to your 50yd zero, since you could be down in that last 5moa of adjustment. OR you could luck out and you could be left with 7-10moa of adjustment on the bottom, which would be perfect. BTW does the Weaver have resettable target knobs? </div></div>

Yes it does, they are low profile target knobs that you can re-zero.

It's hard finding all these details, but at the weaver page the specs say STT which I believe means Short Target Turrets, and the reviews at Midway say they are mid-hight, resetable target turrets.

My biggest problem here is not finding everything I want in one package, and throwing in me desire for parallax adjustment down below 50 yards makes it tough. I can find some of them, but never all of them all together unless I go up above $500 or stoop to buying a BSA or Tasco.

I may just have to spend the cash on another Sightron SII Big Sky.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have Warne rings and Weaver bases on my 504 and have no issue getting to 200 with a Super Sniper.
Parallax adjustment to 10 meters and no need to build up a cheekpiece to get good cheek weld and sight picture. </div></div>

I just don't like fixed power scopes.

Mud,

You could buy the Weaver from Midway and try to see if it works. I think Midway has a generous return policy as long as you don't mark the scope. Just be careful.

OR

Look for a Falcon 4.5-18, Nikon Buckmaster 4-14SF I know these will work in your application. Maybe even the Buckmaster 6-18SF.

Mud what are your desiring qualities in said scope Parralax setting<50 yds resettable target knobs what else ya looking for I'll help ya do a lil digging and hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mud,

You could buy the Weaver from Midway and try to see if it works. I think Midway has a generous return policy as long as you don't mark the scope. Just be careful.

OR

Look for a Falcon 4.5-18, Nikon Buckmaster 4-14SF I know these will work in your application. Maybe even the Buckmaster 6-18SF. </div></div>

I've looked at all three of those, and they definatly are options I might eventually go with. I will have to check the Nikon again to see what it was I didn't like, and I believe the Falcon actually does everything I want, except that it's very large.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fireman610</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mud what are your desiring qualities in said scope Parralax setting<50 yds resettable target knobs what else ya looking for I'll help ya do a lil digging and hunting </div></div>

Parralax adjustment down less than 50 yards.

Mil-dot would be nice, but I'm starting to find this not as important.

I would kind of like something small and light, we have a 22 cal CMP match here a couple times a year that requires the rifle weigh less than 7.5 pounds.

Target Turrets and adjustment I can count on.

Something that either on it's own or in conjunction with with a 20 moa base with get me out to 200 yards or a bit further. (I have both a standard base and a 20 moa base I could use)

Price, I can get a Sightron SII Big sky (Like I have on an 18" grendel build) for about $550 which satisfies all my needs, and I may just do that, but I would be happy to save a bit of cash on this.

Decent quality and glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SgtKope</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not just shim your 20moa base? Aluminum foil works well. </div></div>

That might be an option, especially since most of the scopes I'm finding in this class have 50moa of adjustment.

I know everyone wanted a 20 moa base for the CZ's, but I'm starting to think a 10 moa base is needed.

</div></div>

I'm think that Maybe I'll just try this and pic up some burris signature rings, then if it's a problem I can just add the .005 or point .010 inserts.

That'll work. You can just dial in the amount of cant with the insert rings.

Well I got the Weaver V16 today and really like everything about it except the fact that I can't figure out how you reset (re-zero) the target knobs.

The instructions say that depending on the scope you will either pull up on the knob and move to zero, or remove the screw move to zero and replace screw.

Well pulling up does nothing, and I can't see any screw to remove.

GRR

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm struggling to find a scope for my CZ 452 varmit> I want something that will be good out to 200 yards and I think I found somehting but I'm not sure.

I'm looking at a Weaver V-16, but it only has 50 MOA of adjustment. I have the 20 moa base for my CZ, so I think that will get me out to 200 yards, but I think at 50 yards I will be hovering in the top 5 moa of adjustment.

Is this OK? Will this be screwing me on being able to adjust for closer ranges?</div></div>

I shoot a remington 513T with iron sights to 200 yds. You will need approximately a total of 36 MOA to get you to 200 yds. That is what read on my redfield sights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Imurhuckleberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MudBug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm struggling to find a scope for my CZ 452 varmit> I want something that will be good out to 200 yards and I think I found somehting but I'm not sure.

Is this OK? Will this be screwing me on being able to adjust for closer ranges?</div></div>

I shoot a remington 513T with iron sights to 200 yds. You will need approximately a total of 36 MOA to get you to 200 yds. That is what read on my redfield sights.
</div></div>

HMMM, From the Wolf Ammo ballistics chart it shows about 26 to get to 200 and about 37 to get to 250.

Wolf MT dope:

50yd Zero
100yds 6.5moa
150yds 15moa
200yds 25moa
300yds 48moa

That's an approximation, could change slighty due to temp and pressure.

I had a Bushnell 10x Tactical mounted on the dovetail of my 453 Varmint with Warne rings. The scope had 80MOA of adjustment. With a 50 yard zero I could shoot to about 240yards with no holdover IIRC.

I am now using a RT 20MOA rail and SS20x. It will focus down to 10m. The scope has 116MOA of adjustment. In theory I should have enough elevation for about 440 yards. I have shot at 50 to 300 yards with good results and have a lot of fun with this set-up.

Amen to the signature rings with offset bushings. Allows you to max out your scope's range of adjustment for long and short range stuff.

Sherlok