• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 moa base issues ?

AQC440

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Bagdad, Kentucky
I am relatively new here so if this topic has been addressed before I apologize for bringing it up again.
What is the effect of using a 20-m.o.a. base on a.22 cal rimfire at the closer ranges? Can you still get a zero at 25 and 50 yards using for instance a Weaver T-36?

Re: 20 moa base issues ?

My 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint Mil-Dot scope is zeroed for 50 yards with no problems. I zeroed it at 50 so I could get my long range shooting dope from that point out to 300 yards. I would highly reccoment a 20 MOA Base to anyone as it gives you more options with your scope, IMHO.

I believe your Weaver T36 comes with AO, so you should have no problems zeroing at 25 or 50 yards even with a 20 MOA Base.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AQC440</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am relatively new here so if this topic has been addressed before I apologize for bringing it up again.
What is the effect of using a 20-m.o.a. base on a.22 cal rimfire at the closer ranges? Can you still get a zero at 25 and 50 yards using for instance a Weaver T-36? </div></div>

AQC440,

A lot depends on how much barrel droop you have and how much range of elevation adjustment you have in your scope but a canted base with 20MOA on a 10/22 should not make any difference in your ability to zero or dial at 25 and 50 yards. In fact you will be lucky to dial PAST 50 yards with many 10/22's even with the canted 20MOA base. I've got a near stock 10/22T (Kidd trigger) dropped into a B&C Tactical/Varmint stock with EGW 20MOA base and Seekins 30mm high rings with a prototype Falcon 5.5-25x56FFP scope and have no problem dialing from 25 yards to 250 yards with standard velocity Wolf MT. The real problem for most 10/22's even with a 20MOA base is to dial out past 200 yards which is generally going to be limited by barrel droop even with a scope with 20mils (70+MOA) of elevation.

Aries64 has a MOA receiver based 10/22 (UNFB shooting 10/22!) with a Kidd barrel threaded and screwed into the receiver and his only problem was with an old Leupold he couldn't zero closer than about 100 yards IIRC correctly and this was with an EGW 20MOA canted base. Aries64's current setup with Seekins 34mm rings holding a S&B 5-25 PMII is able to dial close in at 25 yards just fine now.

Cheers/Chip

I can see how the droop in a 10/22 would make the 20 MOA base more needed, and still get the 25 yard zero.

I'm looking to get a Falcon 4-14 FFP for my Savage Mark II, and need to decide between 0 and 20 MOA. Sounds like 20 would work fine. Anyone know for sure?

And thanks for all the great info here. I'm learning a ton just lurking!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wingnut49b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can see how the droop in a 10/22 would make the 20 MOA base more needed, and still get the 25 yard zero.

I'm looking to get a Falcon 4-14 FFP for my Savage Mark II, and need to decide between 0 and 20 MOA. Sounds like 20 would work fine. Anyone know for sure?

And thanks for all the great info here. I'm learning a ton just lurking! </div></div>

Your Falcon 4-14 FFP has an advertised 75" of adjustment. That's 32.5" up and 32.5" down. Add a 20 MOA base and you now have 52.5" up and 12.5" down. I would think that a 20 MOA base would work if your planning to shoot at ranges longer than 200 yards with your 22lr. At 200 yds with most 22lr match ammo you need about 28 MOA of adjustment.

Bob

Bob

Right now I have a T36 mounted in a Leupold 1 piece base and looks to be standard height rings and the scope is nice and low.
I'm changing to a 20moa base, so what ring height change will I need to keep it low.

This is covered here. My post regarding bedding bases allows one to create a base with a custom tailered slope ensuring good short distance adjustments and then allowing maximum <span style="font-style: italic">useable</span> scope elevation beyond that.

My 10/22 had a ton of barrel droop, my meuller 8.5-25 would get up to 25 yards. Put .050 shim at back of base and was still able to get a 25 yard zero. Don't know how much cant a 20 MOA base has but my .050" cant should give you a reference. Does anyone out there have one of these bases they can measure and give us difference in thickness from one end to the other?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is covered here. My post regarding bedding bases allows one to create a base with a custom tailered slope ensuring good short distance adjustments and then allowing maximum <span style="font-style: italic">useable</span> scope elevation beyond that. </div></div>
Thanks Greg
This info has been very helpful.