• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20' MOA base or not?

Helidonna

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2009
Montucky
I have a Rem 700 LA that I'm going to mount a NF 5.5-22X56 on. I was wondering if the 20' MOA Badger base would be overkill. The NF has 113 MOA adjustment from top to bottom if that helps, and I'm also going to use arms #22 rings. Thanks for the beating in advance, lol...

Re: 20' MOA base or not?

The caliber your 700 LA is chambered in, as well as the max range you plan on shooting, will determine whether you need the addt'l 20MOA.

Also, from my experience, the NF 5.5-22 only has 100MOA of elevation (50 up and 50 down from mechanical center of the adjustment range).

Finally, why are you set on running the ARMS rings? Do you really need QD capability? Unless you do, I'd suggest any number of higher quality alternatives like Badger, Seekins, etc. They'll serve you better than the ARMS rings in the long run.

7mm 180 Bergers @ 2850fps and someday beyond 1000', I have the arms lying around and wanted to save a few hundo. Are they that bad, and no I really don't need the QD option as stated they are in my safe that's all. Thanks for the input...

If you want to really stretch the legs of your rifle someday, I don't think that the 20MOA could hurt you...like longshot said...never a bad thing.

With a 100yd zero, you only need approx. 26MOA give or take to get to 1,000yds. However, you'll use up most all (maybe more) of the adjustment left on your scope with a 0MOA base getting to 1,400yds (46MOA give or take).

Ultimately, it is your call. I always tend to stay on the side of "its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!"

Good luck!

Thanks ORD, Buckey, and Longshotbml for the info I tend to be anal about such matters and thought I should anyway but now that you all agree I'll order soon, but what about those arms rings anymore on them? Thanks for your support...

The ARMS rings are not bad rings per se for what they were designed to be. However, they really only offer the advantage of being quick detach (QD) rings. Unless you need QD rings (like to switch between your day scope and a dedicate NV scope or between iron sights and optics), the ARMS rings are not the best option for you.

If you plan on mounting your scope and leaving it on the rifle, I'd suggest that you just get a quality set of fixed rings (like the Badger rings I mentioned above...or Seekins...or etc., etc.). They will offer you a stronger, more rigid, and durable optics mount than the ARMS rings that you won't have to worry with once they are installed and torqued down properly.

I'd go with either Badger or NightForce rings - probably the 2 best out there!!

You want to go with the 20 MOA base because #1 it keeps the scope more centered optically at long range, and #2 because you may put a different scope on it in the future. The 20 MOA is a win/win.

TC