• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 20 MOA base question

Jaeger308

Scharfschütze Feldwebel
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2004
Western NY
www.longguntraining.com
What is the dimension in .000's from level from one mount to the other?
I have an old Rem 722 in .222 cal I am putting togather for my son and the mount does not give enough elevation adjustment. I want to shim up the rear mount to gain appox 15-20 MOA and want to know what thickness to make the shim? Currently the scope is only 1 MOA from the bottom end of adjustment at 100 yards so we need some adjustment to get to 200 or 300 yards for him. The scope is fine it is an IOR that rode on a .300 WM fo awhile and it tracks fine.

Re: 20 MOA base question

the burris zrings.they use a bushing system .to make a set 20 moa.you use a +10 thdths in the rear ring,and a -10 in the front.these rings the last i had were in the 30 to 40 dollar range.

If the hole spacing is the same as a short action 700, you could get one of the EGW 20MOA bases for $40 also.

The shim value per MOA is actually a function of the base's overall length and varies. Assuming a 4" base length, 1MOA works out to approximately .001111", but .001" is close enough to ballpark the value. A longer base needs more, a shorter one, less. The ideal is to get the 100yd zero somewhere around 3-5MOA up from the bottom end of the elevation adjustment range, thus making the greatest amount of the elevation adjustment range actually usable.

Greg