• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 MOA doing its job or I am crazy or??

GrandpaDeadLegs

No tomato
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
Superior Twp. MI
So I have the LaRue 20 MOA mount and a Bushnell XTR II 5-25 in there, and with the elevation turret bottomed out, 100 yards is a 2 mil hold under.

Now I imagine this means I will get the most out of the turret for long range, but feel like something is not right. I have re-done the mounting procedure a few times to see if I had it crooked, etc...

Should I just not care that 100 yard shots will never use the crosshairs and have my "zero" out further? Or am I a shitty scope mounter? Or am I so green that I should have expected that when purchasing the 20 MOA mount and all is gtg?

I once installed a scope mount backwards...so -20MOA. I was young then...

Reactions: Snuby642
The upper looks like it’s a zero moa rail. Does the Burris have a zero stop? Other than that I’d Drop in another scope and see if you have the same issue. I’ve never run into that issue before. So that’s all I got.

So I have the LaRue 20 MOA mount and a Bushnell XTR II 5-25 in there, and with the elevation turret bottomed out, 100 yards is a 2 mil hold under.

Now I imagine this means I will get the most out of the turret for long range, but feel like something is not right. I have re-done the mounting procedure a few times to see if I had it crooked, etc...

Should I just not care that 100 yard shots will never use the crosshairs and have my "zero" out further? Or am I a shitty scope mounter? Or am I so green that I should have expected that when purchasing the 20 MOA mount and all is gtg?
The only thing I can think of is check your scope ring alignment and make sure they are not canted up. even with the 20moa slant of the base, the rings should be in perfect alignment. With a 30mm and up tube diameter, you should have enough elevation adjustment be dead nuts at 100 yards.

I agree on checking to zero stop if present.

only other time i've heard of this happening is when someone stacked a 20moa scope mount rail ON TOP of an existing 20 moa upper

I agree on checking to zero stop if present.

only other time i've heard of this happening is when someone stacked a 20moa scope mount rail ON TOP of an existing 20 moa upper
That could be a problem!!!

Like vip said, is it possible to mount backwards?

The only thing I can think of is check your scope ring alignment and make sure they are not canted up. even with the 20moa slant of the base, the rings should be in perfect alignment. With a 30mm and up tube diameter, you should have enough elevation adjustment be dead nuts at 100 yards.
Rings would be canted down to produce his results.

As an XTR 2 owner, my guess is the zero stop is set at it's factory position.

Try the following:
-Loosen your scope cap from the existing zero point (which sounds like it's 2Mil high at zero).
-Rotate the cap (loosened ie. No clicks when rotating) and set it at the 3 Mil hash mark.
-Push down until it stops and tighten turret cap at the three Mil hash mark.
-Now spin turret back to zero and it should hit 1MIL low.
-Find your zero and set turrets appropriately.

There should be plenty of travel to get you to zero, so I'm betting the zero stop. It's kind of unintuitive if using their instructions.

Good luck!