• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship 20 MOA insert for burris signature rings

Re: 20 MOA insert for burris signature rings

The Burris offset inserts are NOT in MOA, they are in .005, .010 and .020 inches of offset. The amount of MOA each of these inserts represents is dictated by the distance between the scope mounts.

MOA is a slope, an angle if you will, it is not an offset in one ring.

I am traveling this week, and I am too tired to work it out again, but I let's see if I can steer you towards working out the answer on your own.

A scope without a canted mount, is supposed to be parallel to the bore of the rifle. A canted mount creates an MOA value by mounting the scope on a slope atop the bore. The rear of the canted mount will be higher than the front by a specific amount so that the slope it creates will be 15 MOA or 20 MOA or whatever. 15 MOA is 1/4 or a degree, 20 MOA is 1/3 of a degree and so on. So, if the mount is 4 inches long and you want to have a slope that will be 1/4 or 1/3 of one degree canted forward, you will need to have the rear of the mount to be taller than the front by the value that will give you that slope.

This is where my memory fails me but I think I calculated that as being .0055 inch per inch of mount for each 10MOA increment. So, if you have a canted mount that is 4 inches long and you want a 20 MOA cant, the rear will be .0055 * 4 * 2 = or .044 inches taller.

So, when you use the Burris inserts, you need to measure the distance between the rings (I suggest you measure from the back of the front ring to the back of the rear ring and pray the rings are the same width. This will give you the length of the mount. If you have a zero at 400 with the .010 insert and you want to add another .010 insert, you measure the ring to ring distance and then figure out what this extra .010 inch will give you.

If your distance is 3.5 inches; .0055 * 3.5 gives you .019 needed for 10MOA. You have added .010, so about half of the required height for 10MOA or about 5 MOA. If your ring-to-ring distance is greater, the cant will go down (less MOA). If your ring-to-ring distance is shorter, the cant will go up (more MOA.)

Your first job is to get the exact ring-to-ring distance and go from there.

Here is how I do it. Its not EXACT but it lets me figure it out. Some of the things you need to know; BC of your bullet, velocity from you gun and zeroed at 100yds. Run this info through a ballistics program. So first I zero the rifle at 100yds. Then I reset the scope turret to "0". Now I can run the elev turret all the way up and see just how many MOA I have to use. Look at the ballistics printout and see if you have enough to reach the range you want to shoot,say 1000yds. If you don't have enough elev add a -005 etc. to the front ring and recheck. An exampe: My 308win load of a 168SMK at 2705fps, BC of.462 needs 37.6MOA to reach 1K. However my 1" scope has a total of 30Moa and I am zeroed at 3 MOA from the bottom so I can only get out to 800yds with my 27MOA of up. So I need a need a scope with more travel or a faster bullet. After that I go shoot and see how close the numbers are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdog2225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is how I do it. Its not EXACT but it lets me figure it out. Some of the things you need to know; BC of your bullet, velocity from you gun and zeroed at 100yds. Run this info through a ballistics program. So first I zero the rifle at 100yds. Then I reset the scope turret to "0". Now I can run the elev turret all the way up and see just how many MOA I have to use. Look at the ballistics printout and see if you have enough to reach the range you want to shoot,say 1000yds. If you don't have enough elev add a -005 etc. to the front ring and recheck. An exampe: My 308win load of a 168SMK at 2705fps, BC of.462 needs 37.6MOA to reach 1K. However my 1" scope has a total of 30Moa and I am zeroed at 3 MOA from the bottom so I can only get out to 800yds with my 27MOA of up. So I need a need a scope with more travel or a faster bullet. After that I go shoot and see how close the numbers are. </div></div>

Thanks, I'll try that on Sunday. Have a nice weekend!

A doctor in the British Army writing "British <span style="font-weight: bold">a</span>rmy" and saying "my bad"??

Things that make you go "hmm"
crazy.gif
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: British Army-Dr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you suggesting that I am not a commisioned officer in H.M. Armed Forces? </div></div>

laugh.gif
confused.gif
Hmm: It's "commi<span style="font-weight: bold">ss</span>ioned"

If you're pukka you need to get on ICSC(L) and have a good read of JSP 101 (Viz: " H.M. Armed Forces" ).

I accept that the Tarts and Vicars course teaches little more than ironing, but you're making basic errors that set my antennae twitching.
smile.gif

So, did you get a ring to ring distance? I'm back home now and looking at my notes to make sure of the values I dug out of my aging (but still pukka?) memory. They were correct.

It's a little broader than spelling and grammar, it's more about combat indicators as to military naivete :

Very, very, very few Brit officers would ID themselves as such in their logon name, go on to spell British Army with a lower case 'a', use language like 'my bad' (I'm not sure if that is language?!), punctuate HM Forces as H. M. Forces and then go on to be unable to spell the nature of their status and employment: a commissioned officer.

Attention to detail.

..and no, I wouldn't care to elaborate.
smile.gif

Walter Mitty Revealed: 20 MOA insert for burris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brown Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: British Army-Dr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you suggesting that I am not a commisioned officer in H.M. Armed Forces? </div></div>

laugh.gif
confused.gif
Hmm: It's "commi<span style="font-weight: bold">ss</span>ioned"

If you're pukka you need to get on ICSC(L) and have a good read of JSP 101 (Viz: " H.M. Armed Forces" ).

I accept that the Tarts and Vicars course teaches little more than ironing, but you're making basic errors that set my antennae twitching.
smile.gif

</div></div>

Well, young "gun_nut", I've just about spilt my tea laughing at the way you must have reacted to the information in my last PM.
A full defecation drill in reaction to being pinged as a walter
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Simply deleting all the posts on this thread, in which you argue that you are a British Army doctor, and changing your logon name will sort the problem won't it?

I imagine you're pretty pissed off you couldn't delete my posts too.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I hope, that you'll be man enough to fess-up as to why our PM correspondence </span>(that I note you've also deleted) <span style="font-weight: bold">has led you to:

- change your logon name from "British Army -Dr" to gun_nut
- delete all your posts in this thread claiming to be a British Army doctor
- change your listed occupation from 'Army Medic -Commissioned Officer' to 'Army reserve (sic)'
</span>

If nothing else you've set new ground in Walting terms; pretending to be a doctor AND pretending to be a British Army officer.
mad.gif