• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 20 Moa Mount with 20 Moa Rail will it work?

Mt_Hunt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2018
Chester, Montana
I have a new Sig tango 6 5-30 and will be ordering a bighorn origin which has a 20moa base and was thinking of using a 20 Moa scope mount ,spurh or mpa, along with it. Has anyone done this with the tangos? I am not sure on what the full travel of this scope is in Mils should be plenty with just the 20 Moa base, but if I move the scope to a different gun that doesn’t have a 20 Moa base I would have it in the mount if that makes sense. I have a bunch of 30mm rings but this is the first 34mm tube so mount height is a new deal for me.

That scope according to the Sig manual has a total elevation range of 80MOA / 23.2MRAD. You may or may not have enough down elevation left for a 100yd zero because when you mount the scope you pretty much have to go 40 MOA down just to get at a "default" position, other words how the scope would be if mounted with 0 MOA rail and base. That's not to say it may not happen, but unless you are going to be shooting at extreme long range 1000+ yds IMO 40MOA is to much. Also something to consider when you bottom out the erector in a scope (pretty much where you would be inside of 500yds or less) the optical clarity isn't the best. So to sum it up if you are mostly shooting inside 1000yds I wouldn't go that much if you plan on shooting ELD go for it.

Not anything I would do. AT ALL.
As an example, my 6.5CM pushing a Hornady 140 ELD-M @ 2800 FPS gets to 1K in 7.9 mils. Get to 1300 in 12.4 mils. Those are solid numbers, not guessing.
I just absolutely don’t see a need to compress my springs up that much. Also, as stated above, when you get out of the lenses center area, your sight picture degrades. How much depends, but it does.
Unless you’re shooting past 1 mile, a 20moa mount is plenty.

Reactions: Mt_Hunt
That scope according to the Sig manual has a total elevation range of 80MOA / 23.2MRAD. You may or may not have enough down elevation left for a 100yd zero because when you mount the scope you pretty much have to go 40 MOA down just to get at a "default" position, other words how the scope would be if mounted with 0 MOA rail and base. That's not to say it may not happen, but unless you are going to be shooting at extreme long range 1000+ yds IMO 40MOA is to much. Also something to consider when you bottom out the erector in a scope (pretty much where you would be inside of 500yds or less) the optical clarity isn't the best. So to sum it up if you are mostly shooting inside 1000yds I wouldn't go that much if you plan on shooting ELD go for it.
Not anything I would do. AT ALL.
As an example, my 6.5CM pushing a Hornady 140 ELD-M @ 2800 FPS gets to 1K in 7.9 mils. Get to 1300 in 12.4 mils. Those are solid numbers, not guessing.
I just absolutely don’t see a need to compress my springs up that much. Also, as stated above, when you get out of the lenses center area, your sight picture degrades. How much depends, but it does.
Unless you’re shooting past 1 mile, a 20moa mount is plenty.

Thanks guys I rethought my initial statement and ran the numbers on my rifle I use now and can get to 1400 with 12 Mils so no need for more really for majority of shooting..

I went with an added 10 moa using Burris Signature Series rings on top of a 20 moa base, and that gets me to 2100 yards on my 300 Norma mag without using holdovers.

As pointed out above, shooting extreme long range would be the only justification for 40 moa. 20 is usually more than sufficient for most decent calibers.

Reactions: Steel+Killer
I've got ~40MOA with a ZCO 5-27 on a 6.5mm CM, because the Impact action had 20MOA, and I've got a mile range I eventually want to shoot at with 6.5mm PRS wth a barrel/bolt swap, so I grabbed a Spuhr with 6mil/~20MOA. I probably don't need it all, but I also have 118MOA in the scope, so it actually works out fairly well for my optic. I'm sure 20 would have been fine for most of my shooting, but with the range on the scope, it actually worked well to go to 40. With a different scope, I probably would have stuck with 20. I think that's probably best with the scope you have, agreeing with the other posters. You'll be more centered at distances you're likely to shoot.