• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 MOA rail can’t zero at 100yds

Chad Gardner

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2023
Louisiana
Beginner long range wannabe. I have my 1st precision rifle. Bergara Mg Lite 6.5C with a Leupold Mark V 56mm objective. FFL put on a 20 MOA rail for clearance, but at the scope’s dead zero vertical setting, it’s 8-9” high @ 100yds. I have a bench and everything to adjust the scope, but don’t know what to do or if it can be done. I use the bench for my family’s hunting rifles to shoot to ~300 yds.
I’m wanting to work my way up to 800yds+ over time for fun, and thought I’d get it dialed in at 100yds then work my way up from there. Am I wrong with this line of thinking? Should I just zero at 200 or 300 and go or move the rings to get the scope up? If you think moving the rings is possible, should I spread them out or bring them in? There’s 1.5-2” of space between each ring and the farthest point on the scope. Any tips are appreciated.

You have reset your zero stop if it won’t go any lower. Set it for about 3 mils. That should give you room to find your true zero then reset it accordingly.

Edit: or 9 moa if it’s moa.

What does “dead zero vertical setting” mean in this context?

I have it all the way down, but it’s still 8-9” high. “Down.” Is there something I’m missing?
I’m a noob, but have experience using turrets to 500yds on an elk with a 300WinMag, but with regular rings and a basic rifle and scope.
Can the turrets be turned down beyond the scope’s lowest turret point? This is the nicest scope I’ve ever owned and don’t want to screw it up.

Read your manual. You can download one online if you need to. You need to reset your zero stop. Essentially what you’re going to do is disconnect the turret cap from the drive mechanism inside and set it to like three or four mills. Then you’ll reconnect everything and dial back down to zero and you’ll be there. The process is a little bit different for every scope. Definitely read the manual.

If it doesn’t have instructions for resetting the zero stop I’m sure they can found online. Or even better a video. I’m betting that’s the issue and there’s nothing wrong with the scope.

Reactions: Chad Gardner
Read your manual. You can download one online if you need to. You need to reset your zero stop. Essentially what you’re going to do is disconnect the turret cap from the drive mechanism inside and set it to like three or four mills. Then you’ll reconnect everything and dial back down to zero and you’ll be there. The process is a little bit different for every scope. Definitely read the manual.
Thank you!!

Start at about the 1 minute mark. Or watch it all for additional details. 3 set screw around the top. Loosen them, then turn the dial to show 3 mils or 9 moa, whichever your scope is.

Keep us posted. Once you zeroed the rifle at 100 yards you reset the turret to zero. Just be sure to take the Allen wrench with you to the range. That’s but me more than once.

I know I'm late and going to echo what everyone else has said but definitely a zero stop issue. Once you reset it ans get your zero lock the turret ans you're ready to rock.

Reactions: Chad Gardner