• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 Rd mags - what are people using?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have a bunch of 30 round mags for my KAC SR-15, but looking to get some 20 rounders for prone shooting and steel Safari matches.

#1 priority is reliability. From my cursory research people loved the OKAY industry mags, which have recently gone out of business. I've heard the first gen magpuls were iffy, I'm assuming the new ones are GTG?

I hear mixed things about pretty much all other 20 rounders on the market.

colt-20-round-magazines-002d.jpg

Okay Industries is out of the mag business.

My 20rd translucent Lancers work perfectly and there is never any doubt about how many rounds are loaded.

20rd Pmags will work as well..
I’m aware. That doesn’t mean you can’t still find them. Sometimes branded under Sig. I just grabbed 10 more this month. A quick google has vendors in stock.

Last edited:
Okay Industries is out of the mag business.

My 20rd translucent Lancers work perfectly and there is never any doubt about how many rounds are loaded.

20rd Pmags will work as well..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: camocorvette
I’m aware. That doesn’t mean you can’t still find them. Sometimes branded under Sig. I just grabbed 10 more this month. A quick google has vendors in stock.

The Okay labeled mags are going for $30/mag. Perhaps the sig branded ones are cheaper.

I ended up picking up a few PMAG's.

Reactions: jb0311
The Okay labeled mags are going for $30/mag. Perhaps the sig branded ones are cheaper.

Yeah they are definitely more expensive than pmags. I think I got 30 rounders for about $25/each but I needed some quality metal mags because I’ve got a couple ARs that have a hard time seating the p mags. My 17design integrated folder won’t seat at all even with a beating. I’ve just found them on average to seat and drop easier than the p mags.

Reactions: kthomas

This is where I got the 30 rounders. $17 per

Edited to add: a quick glance and they only have the 30 & 10s

Reactions: DIBBS and kthomas
Brownells sells twenty and thirty round gi mags.

Go for aluminum bodies.

I bought surplus twenty rounds with the alloy followers whenever I find them.

I use the Lancer 20 round mags with their metal plus 5 round bottom. Gives me 25 rounds and it is still short enough to shoot prone without getting in the way.

I initially bought ASC steel mags, as you can get 2.29+ OAL in them.

Wasn’t loaded that long but a bit longer than PMAGS or USGI mags.

I have had more problems with them than I have ever had with any AR platform mags.

After this current batch of ammo is shot, I’m going to redo my load (if needed) and go to pmag 20s.

Big fan of the gen III pmags as well. YMMV, but I bought 3 of the "highly venerable" 20 rounder AR Stoner brand magazines from Midway 5 years or so ago and they have worked perfectly fine. I actually use them more than my pmags just due to aesthetics but have had no issues with them. I have only shot 69s and 75s out of them so not vouching for 77s with them.

I initially bought ASC steel mags, as you can get 2.29+ OAL in them.

Wasn’t loaded that long but a bit longer than PMAGS or USGI mags.

I have had more problems with them than I have ever had with any AR platform mags.

After this current batch of ammo is shot, I’m going to redo my load (if needed) and go to pmag 20s.
What kind of issues were you having?

Myself and 3 other shooters that I know run the ASC mags with no issues, and I have run them in five different ARs.

Myself and 3 other shooters that I know run the ASC mags with no issues, and I have run them in five different ARs.
I bought a handful of asc 20rd to try. All of mine are prone to having the last round pop out of the feed lips and lock the bolt back. The 308 mags I bought wouldn’t even lock into any of the rifles I have. Lmt, seekins, aero, desert tech etc.

Yea - a lot of guys I trust have run them with great success.

I’ve had rounds pop out in chamber (last round typically), some won’t hold 20, etc.

Had some give up the ghost in 3 matches.
Contacted ASC (I purchased directly from them) and took months to get a resolution.

I thought it was important when we were shooting TMKs, now I’m thinking it’s not worth to get some extra OAL lobbing 77smks downrange.

Lancers are where it's at. Them and the Okay 20's have been 100%. I've got a dozen or so older brownells 20rd mags too that have been solid but I also got some newer ones and they ran like hot garbage, Brownells took them back for a full refund though. I had issues with gen 3 pmag 20's too, but the straight gen 2's were solid aside from the feed lips stretching out a little from leaving them loaded. Never caused any issues other than harder to seat.

Reactions: 1911hombre