• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" rem 5r

Re: 20" rem 5r

Results?? A 20" 5 R, is a Stainless LTR, without the flutes. Might be a tad more accurate, than a stock LTR, which is not a bad thing, IMHO.

A shortening a barrel, if done right, will be stiffer than the original, and should yield a little better accuracy, at the cost of a few FPS. It will be lighter and handier to boot.

More positives than negatives, unless the shortening is done poorly, or you really really need that extra 40-60 FPS, that a 24" barrel delivers.

Bob

Go 21.75" for the best accuracy.
wink.gif

If you think I'm joking, google "Secrets of the Houston Warehouse" and you'll really start thinking.

I've got mine cut to 20" and have also added at badger FTE brake. Very very accurate. Been getting solid golf ball hits at 200m with cold bore shots on mine.

Gene

I had mine re-chambered and cut to 18.5" by Mr. Roscoe at Louisiana Precision Rifles.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Zeroed it today, here are the last two strings of fire from 200yds. I fired 3 rounds at the bottom target, then adjusted and fired one each at the little pasties. Ammo was Hornady's new 178gr BTHP "Superperformance" round.

DSCF0583.jpg

I fully belive that 18" is long enough for 308Win based rounds to get a full burn with modern powders.

I could be proven worng with specific applications like 243Win and 115 DTAC's but as a general rule I belive 18" is enough.

Nice looking rifle.....with all the jazz and show on all the rifles a simple rifle is refreshing to see.

2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go 21.75" for the best accuracy.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Why 21.75"?

Here's my 20" 5R. I like the compact feel of it.

3537atd.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im actually planning on cutting mine to 21.75 very shortly.

KevinU,, you ask why 21.75 .. Here is why.
http://www.angelfire.com/ma3/max357/houston.html </div></div>

Thanks for the link, good read.

Mine's cut to 20" and it works great - wish I'd cut it to 18 or shorter now. But, you CAN always cut a little more off!

Negative, from the bolt face to the last permament part of the barrel.
In this case it is the muzzle.