• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 Round AR15 Mags

Red Belly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
MA
I live in a Assault Weapon Ban state. I saw some 20 round curved aluminum AR mags that were being claimed as being pre ban. There were no dates stamped on the mag bodies.

Does anyone know if the curved 20 round mags were made prior to the ban? I don't want to pick them up if they aren't kosher as I can get a few of the straight body ones I know are good to go.

Thanks for the help.

Re: 20 Round AR15 Mags

Unless the seller can confirm via date code/stamp on the mag body/floorplate/etc., then I'd pass. I have not seen curved, 20rnd, pre-ban mags, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't exist.

You would be far better off to spend your money on quality, USGI mfg mags that you can guarantee are pre-ban. Colt/Universal Industries (UI)/Adventure Line/etc. mags with alloy/metal followers are readily available for <$20/mag for mags in good to very good condition...a little more for excellent or like new ones. Check GunBroker, ARFCOM, etc. or put up a WTB post here and see if you can find somebody that has some they're willing to part with.

Re: 20 Round AR15 Mags

I am in agreement with ORD. I think the curved ones are newer production than what you will want in your Red Governed State. I have several USGI 20's from the Vietnam era. They all work 100% for me. It is hard to imagine now, but it has not been all that many years back since Military Mags and Colt Factory Magazines were the only ones that were not total JUNK.

I have put rebuild kits in some of my old 20's. I never had any problem with any of them, but I felt a little better with springs that were not 40 years old in them.