• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20 Tac for 55gr bergers?

propeine

Wannabe Gun Plumber
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2012
Erie, Pa
Anyone done this? I know they are more suited to the 20BR, 20-250, or 20x47 size cartridges for velocity but then again 223 shooters fire 90gr bullets with the same powder capacity.

Just for instance

Berger 55gr 204 - .381 BC
Berger 75gr 223 - .423 BC

I would think at 25% less weight you wouldn't be giving up much less than say 500yd at all. I ran the 204 at 3200fps in JBM and came up with a bit more wind drift obviously but supersonic to almost 900. I would think 3200 should be achievable but maybe I'm wrong.

I want something for woodchucks and crows, I want something my wife can (more like is willing to) shoot, but I want to be able to stretch out a little should the opportunity arise. I would probably shoot 40s 90% of the time anyways. Brass is for all intents and purposes free for the 20 practical or tactical vs the 20BR plus barrel life should be better, less recoil than even 223 (my wife cares) etc.

Anyone with experience or thoughts?