• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

20" WOP Bartlein 4G 1:7 223 Wylde Testing

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    White Oak had this 20" Bartlein 4 groove 1:7 223 Wylde White Oak Precision barrel for dirt cheap in end of summer 2020 ($425 with free shipping) so I snagged one up. Post-Ban, no muzzle threads, just a target crown. I shot it once with some bulk 77cc/8208 loads I filled an ammo can with on the XL650 a while back. Shot decent but that was the one and only time I shot it. Been sitting in the safe ever since. Decided to really test it out with some load development and see how it shot.

Recently picked up 16lb of VV N133 and a bunch of 52 SMK and 55 SMK. Frank White at Compass Lake would always tell me these are his favorite bullets to shoot out of his precision AR's because they shoot so damn good. I never really played with them. Heard good things about N133 in 223 with the lighters 50-60gr pills.

Since I never played with N133, I loaded up 50rd yesterday with N133 and 52 ELD's to find where to work and look for pressure. Loaded 5rd each 20.5 - 25.0 in 0.5gr increments which was Hornady and Sierra minium and 1.0gr over max for 52gr pills. Seated the 52 ELD to 2.23 per Hornady realoading manual. Everything shot over the Labradar

Found zero pressure at 25gr, primers looked great and case heads looked great. Accuracy wasnt the best but speed looked great and no pressure. SD's were all over the place with all the low charges below 23.5gr... I could this powder liked a full case fill near max.

Today I loaded up 23.3 - 25.4gr in 0.3gr increments with 52 SMK in new LC brass with 205M's and shot them over the chrono.... Sierra book for COAL is 2.25" which is what I seated them to.

Accuracy was excellent at the higher charges and great velocity. These little 52 SMK really hammer. Gonna test the 55 SMK and 60 SMK next then Ill play with some heavier pills but this barrel is hammering for sure.

20" White Oak Precision
    Bartlein 4G 1:7 (Headspaced to RC bolt)
    Rifle Gas
    223 Wylde Chamber
    Seekins IRMT-3 Monolithic Upper Receiver
    Seekins SP3RV3 15" M-Lok Handguard
    Seekins SP223 Gen2 Billet Lower Receiver
    Ergo Tactical Deluxe Grip
    Geissele SD-E Trigger
    Geissele Low Profile .750 Fixed Gas Block
    Rubber City BCG w/Adjustable Gas Key
    BAD Ambi-Safety
    Magpul PRS Stock
    JP SCS tuned with Spring Kit
    Vortex PST Gen1 scope
    ADM QD Mount

I think I may have gotten my barrel during the same sale. Same specs except mine is a 8-7 gain twist. Unfortunately haven’t had time to mess with it, never took it out of the box.

I think I may have gotten my barrel during the same sale. Same specs except mine is a 8-7 gain twist. Unfortunately haven’t had time to mess with it, never took it out of the box.

I was the same way up until this week. Was too cheap to pass up but had no time to play wuth it for the past 1.5yr. Its a hammer for sure though. Wish I grabbed 2.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    I have a 20" Wilson Combat Super Sniper .223 Wylde 1:8 coming tomorrow to play with. I have a few of their barrels in 16" and shorter and they are very accurate. Looking forward to see how this 20" Super Sniper shoots compared to the Bartlein at half the price...

If it's a Service Rifle barrel and you don't think you'll use it, I'll give it a good home.

Do you happen to have any group pics ? ( I have to admit seeing tiny groups is a cheap thrill for me )
    Glad to hear the WOA barrel lives up to its reputation .. again.

And I gotta ask... Is your PRS stock "Blue" ? What paint did you use ?

Do you happen to have any group pics ? ( I have to admit seeing tiny groups is a cheap thrill for me )
    Glad to hear the WOA barrel lives up to its reputation .. again.

And I gotta ask... Is your PRS stock "Blue" ? What paint did you use ?
    Group pics are posted above....prs stock is a snipers grey and no I didn't paint it, that's factory color from magpul...

Group pics are posted above....prs stock is a snipers grey and no I didn't paint it, that's factory color from magpul...
    My apologies, the group pic didn't show for me when I first read the thread.

Ironically, the "Blue" looking furniture, must be from my color settings on my computer. It looks Navy Bluish on my end, and frankly, I liked it.