• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 Grain ELDx or 208 Grain ELDM 308 Winchester Load Questions

bluejay75

PX Ranger
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2021
North Carolina
Greetings Gents,

Was wondering if anyone shoots or have shot 200 Grain ELDx or 208 Grain ELDM in 308 Winchester?

I have a few 308s none over 22 inch barrel length. I was considering shooting them in a 16.5 inch blueprinted R700, Timney Trigger, HS Precision stock. I have Varget, AR Comp, 4064 (AA+IMR), N540, TAC and 748 powders. I have Lapua, Norma, LC LR, LC Match and Starline Brass and a few different primers to shoot.

Questions:
Has anyone on here tried and found a good load with any combination of the above components?
What kinds of speeds should I expect?
What kinds of accuracy can I expect?
Is 450-500 yards max hunting distance realistic for the load?

Any other tips welcomed. I have been a long time lurker and searcher of the site. You guys seem to be a pretty good resource. I also acknowledge that any loads given may not be safe and may very well vaporize me, my firearm and anyone standing near me on the firing line.

JB

Not ELD series, but 208 Amax/ Match-

I forget the charge weight, but Reloader 17 gets me to 2500fps with good accuracy, and that's really the upper limit when it comes to kinetic performance out of the cartridge.

Needs a 24+" barrel for that speed. 10 twist is ideal.

I don't nit pick brass or primers... at mid ranges it's more the archer than the arrow.

Tried with moly as well but no material difference in performance.

Reactions: bluejay75
Not ELD series, but 208 Amax/ Match-

I forget the charge weight, but Reloader 17 gets me to 2500fps with good accuracy, and that's really the upper limit when it comes to kinetic performance out of the cartridge.

Needs a 24+" barrel for that speed. 10 twist is ideal.

I don't nit pick brass or primers... at mid ranges it's more the archer than the arrow.

Tried with moly as well but no material difference in performance.
I’m only hoping for 2400 FPS from my 16.5 and can live with 1MOA accuracy. I may actually run a 6x scope on it too. It’s a good looking rifle but I’m primarily wanting a blind, tree stand or truck gun out of it.

Very different setup but my 300 Win Mag shoots ELD-X 212 grain very well with H1000.