• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 yard Bench with open sights

RicSmith

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Fayetteville/Ft. Bragg NC
Sunday we fired our first 200 yard 22 shoot. We used the 200 yard SR 2 target. This is the same target we use for NRA XTC matches. its used for 200 yard standing and then 200 yard sitting. We were testing this out to see just how is the best way to get this into our smallbore matches. We tried 5 diferant types of ammo. I used the cci mini mag at 1235 fps and shoot a 100 with 4 x count. it was cold and very windy here at Ft. Bragg/Fayetteville. This was all just testing to get this started as i said. Question what ammo has every one found to shoot best at the 200 yard line.
The cmp ammo was all over the place, eley sport shot ok, wolf target did pretty good and the cci was ok too. We plan on doing a match on the 3rd weekend of this month and i am hoping every one will give up some hard earned info.
also i was using a win 52D and we use iron sights.
rick

Re: 200 yard Bench with open sights

I like the Eley Sport (1085 fps) ammo myself. Have also had good luck with the Aguila Super Extra (1135 fps), and the Golden Eagle Target (1100 fps) listed by Aguila. All three of these have shot well for me from 200 yards.

How big is that SR 2 target?

I'd say that was some very good shooting with open sights from 200 yards using the CCI Mini Mag (1235 fps).

Question? You say "open sights" does this include the military type Aperture sights such as the TSR200 put out by Tech-Sights, or is this just strictly "open iron sights"?

Joe,
Larry and i used peep rear and globe front sights on our rifles the other guy used a 9 power scope. I have red field palma on the rear and gershaw on the front. these are left over from my Army days and came off my M24 system. On the rtaget the x ring is 3 in across the 10 ring is 7 in across and the 9 ring is 13.5 in. across. I did not measure the group but i would say it was arond 6 inches across. From my 50 yard zero using eley spoet ammo i came up 28 MOA to the 200 yard line. I plan on using the wolf target at the next match as the zero is not far off the mini mag stuff. I was suprised by the cci shooting that well. but i am still new at this game. I am going to get some of the other ammo you suggested and try that. I see now this is going to take a bit of try and see. My rifle also had over 500 rounds fired and not been cleaned. I was trying what the anshulsch peopel had said aout cleaning. we are firing the match onthe 16 and this should be lots of fun. we may use our metal targets also as some have suggested for a long range shoot,
thanks Rick

Thanks for the info, Rick. That 28 MOA is right in line with what we have found that is needed for 200 yard shooting. The target sounds very similar to a Palma Target with the 13+ inches of black, (or what I understand is black).

I'm very tempted to pull my scope from my Savage MK II-FVT and reinstall the peep sights for some 200 yard shooting this Spring. I've been using an inexpensive 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint w/ 20 MOA EGW Base to good effect (for me anyway & actually I've found this scope to be quite good setting on a .22) at 200 yards on the FVT, but I will admit I'd sure like to see how I could do with the peeps.

I have not tried the Wolf ammo as yet or the SK, but folks swear by both.

Keep us posted on how things go. I enjoy following and taking part in 200 yard shooting. The challenge is satisfying and enjoyable.

Good luck!
smile.gif

I found a guy that makes scope mounts for my 52D and i can mount a scope with out haveing ot make new holes in it ($90) so i may try that when money gets a bit better around here. we have used 1 in. pasties for targets at 50 yards and shot them with the iron sights. I hae been shooitng 22 for near 2 years now. first comp i was in, i fired in the NC state games. I was shooting XTC match and they had the smalbore first. We ask if we could should in it and they said we could as we were rated in the hight power. I picked up a silver that day and have been hooked ever sence. it was a 1200 prone match and dam near killed us be fore the HP match. I was using a Danish target rifle for that.
have a good one
rick

Rick, can this guy make your scope mount as a 20 to 25 or even a 30 MOA Base?

The 20+ MOA Bases sure make things easier when shooting 200 yards as you eliminate having to hold over with the cross hairs on the target.

http://personal.swayzee.com/jayb/Viani/index.html

here is the guys web, i did not ask about any lift to the mont.
I understand he has been making these for some time and i had read about them.
I would suggest getting a set of shims from Sinclear int. and doing it that way. My big scope has 40 moa to it and i am hoping that i would not have to shim any thing.. but who knows. Im new at this 22 long range stuff right now. I know when i crank up the irons on my 52 it looks like they are sitting way up in the air, but i dont have any problems getting the peep on the front sight. We are having our first 200 yard shoot on the 16 and i am looking forward to it as much as i would a 1000 yard one.
rick

Using a Savage MK II-FVT, I'm fortunate that EGW has the 20 MOA scope base. I also put one on my son's MK II-BTV. When I up-grade someday/year, I'd like to go with a 30 MOA base, just to have more options.

i seen where your shooting 300 yards, now thats about as far as it will go, righ?
only place we can shoot that with is rimfire is on bragg, our range will not let us shoot 22s on the 300 yard

In our SH Matches here (the long range ones) we will be shooting 300 yards this year. I've not tested 300 yards to its full potential as yet but I plan on doing so this Spring.

I can hit the 16" & 20" gongs at my local Range that are set at 300 yards with pretty good regularity. As far as hitting an 8x10 inch gong - I have done that with again pretty good regularity at 275 yards.

Our 300 yard matches this year here at SH will be a good learning tool for all of us who take part, and those that follow the match results. Should be some good info posted when the weather gets better.

There are folks out in the .22LR world that do shoot 400 yards. I'm not one of them as my local Range stops at 300 yards. I don't know how good they do, but I've read about 400 yard shooting with the .22LR on different websites,,, just can't remember for sure which site's???

Check out our SH Matches up at the top of the page in the Stickies. I think they'd be something you'd enjoy doing, Rick.
smile.gif

It will be over a month before i can try the 300 yard line. May get laughted off the line but what the hell. I am going to get the mount for my 52D as soon as i can. that way it will open up some more matches to shoot in. I like irons, for most shooting, I may put one of my NF 12x42 on it if it clears ok. Just to give that a try. I have a zeiss 6.5x20 that i like so i will see what will fit and go with it. I do want to be able to take it off and shoot iron as most of the matches we shoot iron.
Not sure how i can do my come ups as the NF has 40 moa elev so i may have to go with a shim.

Well we fired the 200 yard match after our regular smallbore match and had 9 shooters for the 200 yard line. Using the SR target I fired a 187 out of 200 with Iron sights. A guy beat me with a scope and fired a 190/200. We are going to try this as a mini plama match i think. it should make for some good fun and shooting.
I plan on trying the scope thing too, but want to keep it so i can fire the iron in matches. I am still new at this, so am still learning as i go.

Rick

I would say you did some fine shooting there, Rick!
smile.gif

Could you show us a picture of your setup. I'm sure all of us who follow this 200 yard shooting would like to see it. It has me wanting to shoot some open sight 200 yard targets, that's for sure.

Great shooting my friend!
smile.gif

Well, its been some time now. the 200 yard 22.rimfire is here to stay with us. I am hooked ont he smallbore. I have shot a few 100s with 5 x on the LR off the bench. We are going to the prone with the match every other month and bench on the others. We only alow sandbags so to keep the match fair. I got my wife a kimber 82 from the CMP great rifle and she took 5th in a nra prone at 50 and 100 yards the the next month 3rd in a bench match. Sand bag only. we fired the 200 bench she shot a 97 with 5 x i beat her with a 100 5 x. I wil put out the detail later.
http://www.crossecreekrifleandpistolclub.com

To the poster about the Ken Vianni mount and his Winchester 52. You will not beable to shim the rear of the mount like a standard scope rail. Ken's scope mount attaches to a plate that uses the side holes for the Redfield aperature sight adaptor. There is no hole on the top or screws to put shims under in the rear.

Donald

Have any of y'all experimented with either 22 mag or 17 hmr at 200+ yards?

My Savage 93 in 22 mag makes breaking clay targets on the 200 yard berm at my local range fairly easy, when using enough scope (Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 on mine)