• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 Yard Shooting - A21 -vs- TQ4 Target?

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
For those of us (and those who will) that are shooting 200 yards on the A21 Target (or smaller metal targets such as a 6x8 inch gong like I shoot at),,, I'm wondering if the A21 Target is even needed once a person works out their Dope for 200 yard .22LR shooting?

It seems to me that the 100 yard NRA - TQ4 Target would work just fine for this 200 yard game, that is if one is using a scope, or perhaps a peep sight.

I could see if a person were using open iron sights where the A21 Target would be beneficial,,, but with a decent scope and 20 MOA Base set up that will reach out to 200 yards, I really can't see spending the extra money on A21 Targets when the 100 yard TQ4 Target would work just as well with a lesser price tag.

This post is in relationship with our monthly .22LR 100 & 200 Yard Internet Matches we've been shooting from the prone position & reporting our scores here at SH.

Just wonder what your thoughts are?

Re: 200 Yard Shooting - A21 -vs- TQ4 Target?

@ 200yds I use a 8" round for Iron sights and a 6" round steel plate with optic.

It's not hard once your DOPE is known.

John

EDIT TO ADD,

I use a sling on my 22lr, I do not even have a bi-pod on it. So I see no issue using a smaller target per-say. I would just keep it around 3-4 MOA.

this is my version of the tq4 for practicing, same dimensions as the nra one, but with less black and better focus
tq-4100yardtargetscanned001.jpg

and my a21 practice, same deal.
a-21200yardtargetscanned001.jpg

as long as you have the right dope, an accurate rifle, and good form it almost doesn't matter. they originally set up the a21 targets (with the a21 being bigger) to have the bull appear to be the same size as the tq4 at the longer distance, ratio wise. the outer rings are wider also for the same reason and to make scoring comparable to the tq4 when using open sights or fixed powered scopes. kind of like a handicap in golf.

i made these up on regular 8x11 paper with the nra dimensions and copy the shit out of 'em for practice.

the gong is nice, however that's a hit "1" or miss "0" type of scoring. these targets were made with the intent of acending/decending points for how far on/off the hit/miss is.

i don't mind using both.

I use a similar type white paper 8.5x11 with a heavy black cross hair for getting my Dope at various ranges, as I'm sure we'll all agree - you just can't see the holes in the black of either the A21 or TQ4.

The dark spec of the bullet hole can be picked up even at 200 yards in the field of white even with my 15x45 spotter scope. However, if I cut too much black on the 1/8th inch cross hair, you really have to study the target awhile to convince yourself if it's a good hit - or merely a bug resting on the paper target, lol!!!

Nothing is perfect, but a good field of white is perferable over a large field of black IMHO...
smile.gif

I use old beer bottles and pop bottles at 200 yards.

I hope you have your own range...because broken glass sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shay_Ellafrits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use old beer bottles and pop bottles at 200 yards. </div></div>

We like to use broken clays we pick up off the range that we measure and sort into 1", 2" and larger. When we are placing targets at 100 yards we drop 1" bits of clays and at 200 yards we scatter the 2" pieces and larger. Even at 200 yards these bits of broken clays will powder if you hit them directly.

HTH!