• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 Yd - 6x7, 5x6, & 4x5 Gong Test

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Before this morning the smallest gong I had shot at 200 yards was my 6x8 inch one. It had gotten to the point where it was almost automatic to hit the thing and since I'm always open to new shooting challenges I decided to try three samller gongs (15 shots at each one - though I did use the 6x7 to reestablish my shooting dope this morning).

Rifle: Savage MarkII FVT
Base: EGW 20 MOA
Scope: 6-24x42 Tasco Target/Varmint Mid-Dot
Ammo: Aguila .22LR (1135 fps)

All shooting was done from the bench using a Harris Bi-Pod & Sling. Rifle was snugged into shoulder with no other means of support.

Here are the results:

6x7 Gong (14 of 15)

Rnd 1 - H M H H H
Rnd 2 - H H H H H
Rnd 3 - H H H H H

5x6 Gong (12 of 15)

Rnd 1 - H H H H H
Rnd 2 - H H H M H
Rnd 3 - M H H M H

4x5 Gong (13 of 15)

Rnd 1 - H H H H M
Rnd 2 - H M H H H
Rnd 3 - H H H H H

Here are some pictures;
100_0396_00-1-1.jpg

100_0397-1.jpg

100_0398.jpg

I will make a 4x4, 3x4, and 3x3 gong for my next 200 yard gong test. After the results this morning (especially with the 4x5 gong), I feel 200 yard .22LR accuracy is very attainable using small and yet smaller gongs.

I also had near perfect conditions with an occassional light breeze from the south - but hardly enough to move the wind flag much at all, but I did compensate at times just to be on the safe side. I think that can be seen by the hit marks on the gongs above. When the light breeze came it was going from left to right across the gongs.

Also, with this Aguila ammo, I noticed that same smell at times that the Eley Sport gives off, and the box does say "Eley Primed" so I'm wondering, is this Aguila the same as Eley? I was also surprised at how clean this stuff shot!
smile.gif

Re: 200 Yd - 6x7, 5x6, & 4x5 Gong Test

Thanks mtm87tx!
smile.gif

I give the credit to the folks here that educated me on 200 yard .22LR shooting (subsonic ammo), and my equipment. I'm just the trigger man.

This is interesting, I ran a short program this morning on the JBM calculator with the conditions I would be shooting in this morning and it stated for my conditions and elevation that the Speed of Sound would be 1136.6 fps. This Aguila ammo is 1135 fps... Pretty interesting results I thought.
smile.gif

Went out this morning to do some more testing of gong sizes to shoot at from 200 yards. I also used a different ammo. Today I used the Aguila Golden Eagle Match (1100 fps).

Had some veriable winds and here are the results;

5x6 Gong - 200 yards: 14 hits of 15 shots
4x5 Gong - 200 yards: 14 hits of 15 shots

3.5x3.75 Gong - 200 yards: 7 of 15 shots...

(NOTE:) I hit the chain twice on this small 3.5 x 3.75 gong so I will mark myself down to 5 of 15. The chain
may be attached to the target, but it is not (for my test purposes) part of the scoring area.

Here are some pictures;

100_0401.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Also - I made the above "new" gong stand/hanger to use. I can also hang different size gongs on this thing, and I like the option of hanging any combination I choose.

For me (most likely not for many of you) the little 3.5x3.75 gong is just a bit to small for me.

love the way the splatter looks. when your done you can probably get a couple of hundred for them at art auction or a pink floyd concert
crazy.gif

I'm open for bids...
laugh.gif

Hey Joe, Put multicolor flourecent paint as a base and black cover coat and it would be a work of art.
Great shooting.
I was supposed to go to the 1,000 yd range on Friday but had to change plans. I will work on my smaller gongs this week. Still using the 8" round at 215 yards.