• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200 +

I've got a Ruger 10/22 with a TacSol barrel, Magpul stock, and Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with a bipod and rear bag. I usually shoot RWS Subsonic HPs or Federal AutoMatch. This setup is consistent enough to hit generous targets to 300 yards, but I haven't shot much past that. Since this is mostly for fun, I haven't really shot groups with the gun.

I'm shooting a couple of CMP 40X/XB rifles converted to repeaters by jelrod, with custom Benchmark & Krieger bbls in B&C #2015 stocks, Jewell triggers, EGW 20 MOA scope rails (wish they made a 25 MOA rail) with Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56 scopes. I'm zero'd at 50yds, and up 7.5 mils at 200. Got quite a bit of internal elevation left in these scopes, but so far, haven't gone past 300yds with either rifle. Gets pretty tough to hear or see hits on steel at that distance unless it's a calm, quiet day. Thinking it'd be a whole lot easier with targets set out in a dry field so I could spot misses more easily.

CZ 455 Varmint, set trigger, Mueller 8-32x44 target scope
DIP 25 moa rail, Sinclair Gen 3 bipod and/or bags with match ammo.
At 200 yards I expect 1 to 4 inches of vertical spread, at 300 yards 4 to 18 inches.

I just decided to jump into this game and I went for the grand daddy of them all the V22 Ravage by Vudoo Gun Works. www.vudoogunworks.com

After doing a lot of research and then seeing this truly innovative action they are building off of, It was a no brainer that no matter what else I would end up regretting it and wanting the V22. I pulled the plug and I cant wait for it to arrive so I can get into the game.

Lots of us here in CO shooting that far and beyond. At a local match you see the 40X mafia well represented as well as Savage, CZ, and Annie.

Most are shooting premium subsonic target ammo from Lapua, Eley, SK and the like. Scopes and chassis mirror what you'd see at any long range centerfire match.

2 moa targets at 200 are easy if the wind isn't trying to screw you.

10/22 in factory laminate stock
Tacsol X-ring barrel
Caldwell Bipod
Burris Veracity 5-25
Shoots well with Geco Semi-Auto. Tests forthcoming with Wolf Match, Wolf Match Extra, Center-X, CCI Standard, R50, and Geco Match.
All I shoot is subsonic.

Pair of 40xs, both original factory barrels, one in an AICS and the other an A5. Wolf Match Extra. Bushnell glass. 7.4mil to 200 usually.

I am lusting after the new V22 repeater......

Custom CZ455 with Benchmark barrel, fly trigger, M5 style trigger guard, Boyds Pro Varmit stock, Murphy's Precision Titanium 20 moa base, Seekins rings, Nightforce NXS, Atlas bipod and an Arca plate for the RRS Universal Leveling Base on the tripod. Berm is at 220 yards, have only shot CCI SV. Pay attention to the barometric pressure, makes a big difference for me in elevation corrections.

16" threaded CZ 455, pillar bedded Boyds pro varmint stock, DIP 25 MOA mount, TPS medium steel rings, Athlon Argos BTR. Something like 6.6 MIL at 200 yrds with Agulia Pistol Comp Match

I have been using a bone stock Savage MkII BTV-HB laminated topped with a cheap 6-25x FFP optic mounted atop a 25MOA DIP rail. Accu-trigger set for a light, crisp, safe let-off (not as light as it can go). Lots of time spent refining the ballistic chart to match this gun with my chosen ammo (Wolf-MX). It is <1/2" at 50y and can usually hit a 4" gong at 200y. I run out of elevation adjustment at about 250y with this setup which is zeroed at 50y to start. The Mill-dot recticle is then used for the longer shots out to 300y. I had a rubber donut dampner on the bbl for a while but I could not tell that it was making any difference so, I removed it. While lower in cost the FFP optic has proven to be remarkably consistent in its ability to dial up and down and reliably return to zero, over and over. My only complaint with it is that the large objective (56mm I think?) will not accept any of the sun shades that I have. It is some oddball recessed thread and nothing fits. It even came with a cool little short honeycomb sunshade and it does not fit either. Still works ok. The scope is a good addition if you plan to shoot many different distances in short order as you will in a PRS match or in real world applications where the tgt is not always going to be neatly perched at 100y. With this approach the recticle hold overs at the longer ranges will remain the same no matter what power setting you are using. Honestly, you can save money and get by with a 3-12x optic in FFP as 24x is overkill for PRS in my opinion. 3-12x or 4-18x are just about perfect. The only times I find myself using 24x is in the prone or bench stages where all the tgts are at the same distance and I am not having to move my point of aim too much.

Irish

Attachments

• photo70143.jpg
    photo70143.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • photo70144.jpg
    photo70144.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 18
I'm a rimfire junkie, but when things are 200 and out these three work better than anything else I have.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/vzBtzmN.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Top to bottom:

CZ455 22LR
Cerakote Shadow Hunter, and put together by Accurate Ordnance
Pillar bedded
Timney
DIP Rail
Lila
Small Badger knob
Badger MUNS
AAC Element
Bushy Elite 3-12x44

Walther KKM 22LR

CZ455 17HMR
McRees Chassis
Cerakote Spider Monkey green, and put together by Accurate Ordnance
Timney
DIP Rail
Lila
Custom bolt knob
AAC Element
NF SHV 4-14 MOA Aadmount covers

Last edited:
Just this ole hunk of junk. I think it's my favorite rifle.

It's a Anschutz Fortner 1827N biathlon. Pretty much touches shots at 50y with Lapua Polar. Unbelievable trigger and perfectly reliable along with being lightweight and ergonomic, a looker too- grin. Recently out with friends who were shooting their 223's and 308 at 500Y on a 15" steel plate I thought I'd try it with my 22. Barely missed the first shot and connected IIRC 8 times out of 10. Center plate once I figured out exactly where my hits were landing. Of course the wind was down/ 2-3 mph and off my 7 but still held off something like 2.2 mil with 26 mils dialed on. The scope is a S&B 3-20x50 with H59 in a AI 28 moa mount. I have another 25 mils in the reticle for additional holdover. Farthest I've hit steel so far was a large plate/3x4' at 675Y and except for wind wasn't hard to hit. The main problem shooting that far out was both seeing or hearing hits and seeing misses in the dirt so really only a expensive but fun exercise in futility.

86IxCfK.jpg

So what's everyone using for ammo for this ELR .22 shooting? I am looking at a few options

Eley - Tennex, contact, and force
Lapua- Midas
Norma - Match

any feedback?

Tenex or Match with the EPS bullet are probably the best for long range, right along with Lapua Midas+, but my Annie loves Center X and I still do most practicing at short range with Club that commonly puts down 1/2-3/4 MOA at 50yds with most flyers being me missing a wind shift. I've never run the Norma ammo. Hit up Champions to send you a variety of lots, test for best results, then buy a case or five of them.

RWS R50 or R100
Midas+
Tenex

Last order of CenterX was spitting strays at 52 to 58 fps ES

To reflect the posts above, it's best to spend some time shooting through several loads and lots before settling on one. Over time my best shooter has been the Match black box

I'm sholoting a CZ455, in a boyds tacticool pillared and bedded with the m5 trigger guard.
Factory barrel cut back and threaded for a surefire can.
It really likes Norma Match and Lapua center x. Both of these loads shoot well under .5 at 50yds and dope up well to 294yds (furthest I've gone so far)
Optics setup is DIP 25moa rail, Warne permanent rings and a Vortex 5-15x Viper HS.

I've tried a ton of different loads and this thing just does NOT like the ELEY products for some reason....you just have to find what your gun likes!

p34Btb4.jpg

So what's everyone using for ammo for this ELR .22 shooting? I am looking at a few options

Lapua- Midas
Norma - Match

any feedback?

If you're up to it send your barreled action off to the Lapua test facility. They have jigs that hold the action to take the human error and wind out of the equation since the testing is indoors. You have a wide choice of ammo selection/ price range and they'll test all available lot's.

That's what I did for my rifle and we found one lot of Polar that shot as good as the best of Xact.

Custom 10/22's with GM and Feddersen barrels in raptor stocks, no Ruger parts. :) Savage MkII in a Manners stock, CCI SV, shooting steel chickens in the head at 200 Meters, priceless.

Custom CZ455 with Benchmark barrel, fly trigger, M5 style trigger guard, Boyds Pro Varmit stock, Murphy's Precision Titanium 20 moa base, Seekins rings, Nightforce NXS, Atlas bipod and an Arca plate for the RRS Universal Leveling Base on the tripod. Berm is at 220 yards, have only shot CCI SV. Pay attention to the barometric pressure, makes a big difference for me in elevation corrections.

Where did you get that barrel?

Lapua- Midas
Norma - Match

any feedback?

I have had good luck with Eley Match & 10x and Lapua Midas+ and CenterX and Wolf MX. I have some Norma Match and it shoots OK but is outperformed in all of my guns by those I just listed. The difference is like .375" groups instead of <.250" so it is not bad ammo. Just not as good. RWS makes some good ammo but I can never find it consistently here and it is not cheaper than Eley Match or Midas

Irish

Like others have mentioned, you have to test at the intended distance (and in the intended ambient temps). I have had some rifles that hammer with Center X at distance and others that need Eley Match (black box). The only constant is that there are no constants in the rimfire game, it takes time, money, and methodical testing / record keeping. After you find the ammo that produces the best accuracy then its time to start learning the wind. Horizontal POI shifts from consistent cross winds are easy to correct for, its the swirling winds and up drafts caused by terrain that will get you with these light, slow, not so aerodynamic bullets. All fun stuff...

Anschutz with Athlon Cronus scope. With the 25 moa rail I can dial past 500 yards but my range only goes to 300. One of these days I will shoot some groups at that range instead of just pinging steel.

Attachments

• photo53916.jpg
    photo53916.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 22
CZ 452 with 4-16 Vortex hs-t mrad. Dip moa rail, trigger and bottom parts. I guess I lucked out this particular tube shoots most ammo very well, so I just settled on cci sv mostly for cost. I max out at 16.5 mils so anything past about 340yds iirc I have to half my magnification. The furthest I've driven her is 400 which is probably enuff for me for s&g's. We do alot of 200-300 yd shooting at plates from 6"- 12" though not so much for groups but just to hear that PING. I am pleased with how well she has been placing hits on target on the 6" steel at 300, although of late we have been cheating and shooting thru a scope camera adapter which makes it alot easier..and pretty darn fun.

2k9CSzG.jpg

Initial 50yd group with cci sv...tried a few brands that day, but for the cost these will do.
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/FcLDTyl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Between the trees at 400yds
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/13Xsq06.jpg"}[/IMG2]

400yd results, I'll take it
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/7IXqYOU.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
CZ455 PT for me although im seriously fighting the idea on jumping on a V-22 Action from Voodo...

Mr. F don't fight it. Its inevitable bight the bullet now and get it over with lol.

Custom Left handed Anschutz 64 MPR with an SWFA 3-15x scope. I use Prime Bolt Action, RWS Special Match or ELEY Tenex for ammo. Works pretty darn well

I hear you jbell. I been down this intense .22 testing with all my .22 BR guns. You can really drive yourself crazy chasing that magic bullet. I guess I was basically fishing to narrow down some of the options that people were using with their long range rigs to shrink my choices to test from.

I ordered up a bunch of different ammo, Eley, Norma, and lapua to test. But after seeing the V22 rocking the Center X I am pretty sure that will be what I end up using unless the paper results tell me something different.

I'm running one of Mike's 40X conversions in an AICS chassis and love it. Now that I have a SilencerCo Sparrow can for it its a silent killer!

Lots of guns set up for my Longrange Matches but I've found usually something with a longer heavy barrel is more forgiving and generally not as picky for ammo. My Rem 40x is probably my most accurate and go to gun but the Anschutz, H&R model 12, Vostok, Remington 541 and even my Anschutz Exemplar pistol are all competitive. I don't use the high end ammo, I use Wolf MT at my matches since I have a limit of $8.00/50 and that fits in nicely. Yes it does have dropped rounds but something we have to live with. Funny that a gun doesn't know what is written on the box when you shoot it, it'll tell you what it likes and it may not be the expensive stuff.

Believe it or not even this old Winchester 52-C with a thrown together 2x4 stock will shoot with the best guns that show up at my matches. The 22 rimfires are a finicky gun to shoot and are very critical on subtle changes to the way you have them setting/supporting and the pressures you as a shooter apply to them shot to shot. There is a lot to be said for the old saying "It's not the arrow it's the Indian". Being a good CF shooter does not necessary say you'll be a good rimfire shooter, the subtle changes in the weather, light, wind affect it much more. But, being a good rimfire shooter can help you become a good CF shooter.

Good luck in your quest.

If you're ever in East Ohio look me up, you can spend the day playing on my range.

Topstrap

Attachments

• photo61097.jpg
    photo61097.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 10
  • photo72180.jpg
    photo72180.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 13
I was using a CZ 455 VPT for a little bit, I was never quite happy with the action though, it was a little rough cycling the bolt. The stock and yo-dave trigger kit was fantastic though. I tried getting a larger bolt handle/knob to avoid having to pinch the bolt between my thumb and pointer to cycle it. I sold it and built up at 10/22 as a replacement. KIDD barrel and trigger with a Titan stock. It shoots just was well if not better than the CZ and the KIDD trigger is great. I do miss the Manner's stock though, the Titan is nice, but it doesn't have the same chunky solid feeling. The new vudoo gun works V-22 is looking really nice and I'd love to try one out.

-Kirby

Attachments

• photo71774.jpg
    photo71774.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 7
1PqRQUO.jpg

My go to for long range rimfire is my 1712 in a MDT chassis with a Sightron SIII 6-24 on top. I've shot out to 400 yards so far and it's surprisingly accurate.

​​​​​​​

It's an Anschutz 1416 and it shoots well enough.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1fc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1fc.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 11
  • fullsizeoutput_1f6.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1f6.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 11
What can do you have on it

Wolf is Lapua
Geco is RWS
The difference is in the variances, but for just dorking around at yardage, they suit my needs for less out of pocket.