• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2000 yards on a 3'x3' steel plate

hognuts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Model 99 Barrett at 2000 yards.

DSCN0618-1.jpg

DSCN0622-1.jpg

Here is a pic from the target area back to the firing position. The orange ford "the General" is parked at 1070 yards, the jeep is at the firing position to the right and 930 yards behind the general....if you can see it!

DSCN0625-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the firing position and a few towards the target area.
DSCN0611.jpg

DSCN0614.jpg

DSCN0615.jpg

Great day of shooting in the Las Vegas Desert!!!

Re: 2000 yards on a 3'x3' steel plate

Nice shooting, BTW can you hear the hit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting, BTW can you hear the hit? </div></div>

I was spotting for Vegas50 when he made his hit and I heard his impact, He blew out his electronic hearing on his muffs when he took his shot, so when he was spotting for me he couldn't hear it and I listened for it and did not hear it behind the rifle, neither of us saw any splash in the sand around the target so we figured it was a hit, but I had to take the quad down range to verify mine.

Nice. Dont you also have an elk target you shoot? I saw it on the Barrett forum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Model 99 Barrett at 2000 yards.

Here is a pic from the target area back to the firing position. The orange ford "the General" is parked at 1070 yards, the jeep is at the firing position to the right and 930 yards behind the general....if you can see it!

DSCN0625-1.jpg

</div></div>

Is the the dry lake bed on the left in the picture south of Nellis?

Heres a few more pics from the shoot.

70f, winds were out of the north 3-8mph. It took all 70moa available in my scope to reach.

Barrett 99 50bmg
5.5x22 NF 40moa Barrett rings
750gr amax@ 2720fps at last chrono session

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8xMzg.jpg

2000 yards to the target.

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8xNDE.jpg

the 2 hits at the bottom were from my 2nd series of shots the third one may have been a skipper. 2 of 5 (3if you can count skippers) is the best i could pull off today. My 3rd volley of 5 shots sent me packing with 0. My cold bore shot landed just 3 inches to the left of the target and would have made my day to get a first round hit. the 2 o'clock was bills from last round.

Y29udGVudDovL21lZGlhL2V4dGVybmFsL2ltYWdlcy9tZWRpYS8xNDI.jpg

Elks are not safe at 2k either.

All in all it was fun to get out there and go for the long shots, but 4 hits out of 15 shots leaves me something to be desired. Ill be back out there soon, just in a different spot where you dont have to spot for dirt bikes between each shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Model 99 Barrett at 2000 yards.

DSCN0625-1.jpg

</div></div>

Is the the dry lake bed on the left in the picture south of Nellis? </div></div>

Their shooting spot is near Jean. What stick are you shooting these days, bud?

this was done with a Barrett m99 50bmg, Our usual spot had cows in it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: broke_again</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Model 99 Barrett at 2000 yards.

DSCN0625-1.jpg

</div></div>

Is the the dry lake bed on the left in the picture south of Nellis? </div></div>

Their shooting spot is near Jean. What stick are you shooting these days, bud? </div></div>

Thanks bud

I'm shooting squat right now... still in Guam, lol

But I'm having Mark @ short action customs building me a Badger M2008 in a milled out AICS at the moment. Of course I wont be able to see it till I'm home. Gonna have to swing now by Vegas for old times sake in july...

That is unreal. You have a great place to get out and practice. I cannot think anywhere where I can make it past 700yds, much less 2k.

It is about the same for us, we can get out there in a half hour or so if traffic isn't jacked up. It is worth it to get out of the rat race and get a little recoil therapy
smile.gif

I want to say thanks the op for actualy posting about BEYOND 1k . . .
btw, it looks like a blast guys. keep up the good pics.

Thankfully we have lots of wide open space all around Las Vegas.

I hit 4 Aces with a kicker last night so a set of 150 moa Ivey rings might be here sooner than previously thought
wink.gif

You up for a 3k yard attempt soon hog?

2k. amazing. thanks for posting the pics. I am positive I will never shoot that far or even attempt that. pretty cool to know you guys are out there doing it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never get invited to play..... </div></div>

I didnt know you have a 50cal or other 2k yard rifle?

Im going to try and do this again before the months over.

Whoo Hoo my 100th post. Only took me a year an a half to get there

Bill - That's AWESOME bud!! The lower round counts will come from experience & observation of the field conditions shooting at those distances. Dont forget to log EVERYTHING, regarding the conditions in your data book - also debrief with spotter regarding what was observed in the way of field conditions at the instant you broke the shot at the end of each string of fire. Joe & I typically stand down after 5 shots & debrief. The spotter has to develop a keen awareness of changing conditions... which is crucial to make effective engagement(s), at those distances, with limited fire.

Cold Bore is always the goal!!

Aug ><>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thankfully we have lots of wide open space all around Las Vegas.

I hit 4 Aces with a kicker last night so a set of 150 moa Ivey rings might be here sooner than previously thought
wink.gif

You up for a 3k yard attempt soon hog? </div></div>

Absolutely!!! I would love to give it a whirl!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Augustis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill - That's AWESOME bud!! The lower round counts will come from experience & observation of the field conditions shooting at those distances. Dont forget to log EVERYTHING, regarding the conditions in your data book - also debrief with spotter regarding what was observed in the way of field conditions at the instant you broke the shot at the end of each string of fire. Joe & I typically stand down after 5 shots & debrief. The spotter has to develop a keen awareness of changing conditions... which is crucial to make effective engagement(s), at those distances, with limited fire.

Cold Bore is always the goal!!

Aug ><> </div></div>

We are trying to log everything and we are starting to dabble with the enviornmental conditions, I don't claim to be an expert on long range engagements, but I am having a great time learning from the guys I shoot with, talented people I meet at matches, books, and anyother information I can gather. This is a great hobby, very rewarding some days and very humbling on other days! Your imput is greatly appreciated and if I can make it happen I would love to make it to one of your shoots up in Montana one of these days, I am sure I could gain alot from it. It was a cool experience for my brother and I getting to watch you and Joe shoot together and how well you communicated between shooter and spotter.

The day I made my mile shot, it wasn't necessarily a "cold bore" shot because we had played around at 1000 yards first, but I did get a first round impact from that distance, granted there was some luck involved, but I have heard a good saying "the more we train the luckier we get" I like that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thankfully we have lots of wide open space all around Las Vegas.

wink.gif

Dane, Bill.. I'm there. I'll server as witness and camera man!

Very cool. I am not sure I would shoot at elk from 2,000, though. I'd be more likely to hit guts than vitals if I hit at all.

Yeah, I am alot more ballzy about shooting elk when they are the ar500 variety, I have taken a mule deer with the fifty at 650 yards with the Barrett, damn near took his head off with a 750 grain AMAX!

shotbambiwiththe50.jpg

barretfirstkill-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thankfully we have lots of wide open space all around Las Vegas.

wink.gif

Dane, Bill.. I'm there. I'll server as witness and camera man! </div></div>

Always great to shoot with you guys! Looking forward to continue learning and pressing the limits on the Extreme Long Range stuff! I have already learned alot shooting with you guys the last few years and hope to continue building on that. I have already noticed a huge difference while hunting in the confidence in my rifle and my own abilities, that animal no longer looks so small after shooting at some of the matches we have shot together and all of our desert practice sessions. Looking forward to it!

Keep up the good work gents! It was really fun doing the LR stuff with you guys in January. Mark

Nice shot, Hognuts! Yeah, 650 is appropriate. 2,000... no doubt you could hit it somewhere some of the time... but when you are over a mile away, there is probably a way to sneak in to get a better shot.

Fun stuff, though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shot, Hognuts! Yeah, 650 is appropriate. 2,000... no doubt you could hit it somewhere some of the time... but when you are over a mile away, there is probably a way to sneak in to get a better shot.

Fun stuff, though. </div></div>

Carter,

Are you into shooting long range? Always looking to shoot with someone that is around San Antonio.

Yes, but not extra long range. My problem is there is no place to shoot that long here in town. I talked to the folks at Bullet Hole and they are in talks to buy the place next door and add a 1,000 yard range, which would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never get invited to play..... </div></div>
Do you think the kilt might have somthing to do with that?

Awesome, I must say I am a little jealous, nowhere around here to shoot like that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootist68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much mulie did you have left? Nice shooting. </div></div>

The mulie was in-tact, I only destroyed his throat! There was no entrance or exit wound, just a large portion of his throat was completely gone! The best part of the whole thing was my cousin Chris was with me and he gets very excited and lets say "animated" when out hunting. As soon as I pulled the trigger I lost my sight picture and I turned around and he had been spotting for me...He jumped about 2 feet in the air and yelled "YOU GOT THAT SOMBITCH!!!" I just about pissed myself! LMAO

Nice hits Hognutz. Had some fun @2000yards in the desert near St. George this weekend. You cant beat the desert for longrange! If your ever up come up north to St. George we should go ring some Steel!

29skjp.jpg

r7skes.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never get invited to play..... </div></div>A few of us will be shooting this distance this Saturday just 2.5 hours south of you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My video shooting at 2000 Yds you can hear at the end of the video the impact of the bullet. My shoot is at .20 sec in the video and the impact is at .29 sec.
</div></div>You still coming this Sat?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: negotiator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My video shooting at 2000 Yds you can hear at the end of the video the impact of the bullet. My shoot is at .20 sec in the video and the impact is at .29 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXLaN6ZeBqk

IMG_4356.jpg

3 shoot group at 2000 Yds with my 416 Barrett
IMG_4372.jpg
</div></div>

I saw your post over on the Barrett site...great shooting!

Nice hits Hognutz. Had some fun @2000yards in the desert near St. George this weekend. You cant beat the desert for longrange! If your ever up come up north to St. George we should go ring some Steel!

I will definitely hit you up some time when I am headed that direction!