• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2005 Remington 700 Trigger Question

Quest1000

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
I just bought a Remington M700 BDL in .17 Rem and it is topped with a Leupold M8 12x40 with Target reticle and an elevation target turret built in 1979!

I looked up the model year and it appears the Rem was built in 2005 and has the bolt release in the trigger guard. The trigger is nice but really heavy and I am having a hard time finding information on what the factory trigger is. It seems the x mark was released a year or two after.
Can I adjust this trigger to lighten it up? Will a trigger tech diamond work with the bottom bolt release?

The X-Mark Pro is supposed to be a better trigger and it still sucks. The lightest I have seen anyone get them adjusted to is about 4lbs. For less than $150 put a Timney trigger in it and go out and enjoy your rifle.

Reactions: Quest1000
I just bought a Remington M700 BDL in .17 Rem and it is topped with a Leupold M8 12x40 with Target reticle and an elevation target turret built in 1979!

I looked up the model year and it appears the Rem was built in 2005 and has the bolt release in the trigger guard. The trigger is nice but really heavy and I am having a hard time finding information on what the factory trigger is. It seems the x mark was released a year or two after.
Can I adjust this trigger to lighten it up? Will a trigger tech diamond work with the bottom bolt release?
If you decide to replace your trigger, (I would adjust and enjoy it) it will sell very quickly in the PX.

The X-Mark trigger was a decided step back from the walker trigger. I have 2 remington rifles with the immediate predecessors to the X-Mark trigger and they both are crisp and reliable. The older one is set to 1.5# and the newer one is set to 2.5#. If you have a trigger that has 2 adjustment screws on the front (you need to take the action out of the stock to adjust), and allow for bolt manipulation while on safe, you've got a good trigger. In fact, that is the trigger that Timney essentially copied to make their replacement.

The X-Mark trigger was a decided step back from the walker trigger. I have 2 remington rifles with the immediate predecessors to the X-Mark trigger and they both are crisp and reliable. The older one is set to 1.5# and the newer one is set to 2.5#. If you have a trigger that has 2 adjustment screws on the front (you need to take the action out of the stock to adjust), and allow for bolt manipulation while on safe, you've got a good trigger. In fact, that is the trigger that Timney essentially copied to make their replacement.
I’ll do some research on the walker trigger and take the stock off to check for the two screws. I can run the bolt with the safety on. I do like the trigger, I just want to lighten it up. Thanks for the info.

I don't remember what year it was, but there is a problem with trying to adjust some Remington triggers. The little coil springs were so stiff (a supposed safety measure) the triggers could not be reliably adjusted to a reasonable pull weight. That was the issue with my VS-SF. I just bought a Timney and installed it rather than diddling with the stock trigger.