• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 2008/AICS issues....

Moof

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
Celestine Indiana
Well I just got my stock back from having it milled out for a 2008 action and when I put the action on, the mags didn't want to lock into place. Looks like they took to much off the stock. I can "snap" in a mag but then I can't ride the bolt home. Sooo I had to take it to someone and they're gonna end up placing two shims (.0785?), one in each hole, and bed the SOB. Has anyone had this problem before and what did you end up doing to fix it?

Re: 2008/AICS issues....

Could grind the mag release a few thou...but not sure if that would cause other issues. If you did that the mags would work but if you were ever pushing up on the mag while feeding a round then could have issues.

Who inletted it?

We've looked into doing that but it we would have to file off .08? almost. Then, on top of it, I would have to do that to all of my mags and that just won't cut it.

If it were me....and I admit I'm a danger to myself....I'd cut some pop can spacers for the front and rear and bed it myself.

Do you have the tools to remove the barrel? Would be a real easy bed job to make it work I'd imagine.

Moof..

I just bought a couple new mags for mine and they were the same way. My old mags fit fine, but the new ones had to shoved like hell in there. I mic'd the new mags vs. my old one that fit and found the catch on the new ones to be a few thou different than the old one.

I just ground a few thou off the bottom of the catch on the spine with the Dremel.

I think it's in your mags, not your inlet job.

that happend to me so my smith(lucky me) trade me the aics for aw mag and end up grinding the mag release to fit it, just grind a bit and its working ok.
i also notice that the mill work to the aics looks like they are taking to much of it.
i havent call marty and ask about posible solution for it. the m2008 looks like was design to be use with aw mags the fit snug to it once you grind the mag release..also the m2008 is dual feed.
the guys that get m2008 most use aw mag(the mayority use aw mags, i also see few using aics mag)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moof..

</div></div>

We tried a bunch of different mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moof..

I just bought a couple new mags for mine and they were the same way. My old mags fit fine, but the new ones had to shoved like hell in there. I mic'd the new mags vs. my old one that fit and found the catch on the new ones to be a few thou different than the old one.

I just ground a few thou off the bottom of the catch on the spine with the Dremel.

</div></div>

Not that it pertains to your action, but i had the same thing happen on a Remington 700 and did exactly what JRose said and it solved my problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Moof..

</div></div>

We tried a bunch of different mags. </div></div>

That might have all been the same spec...

Some would barely go in with the bolt open, many would not. The ones that went in with the bolt open would not allow you to close the bolt. Only when putting .078" shim would the mags function without the bolt dragging the top of the mag.

You have to cut the mag release by.050 for it to work. I have 3 of these things and they work just fine if done correctly.

Rich

Definitely sounds like the inlet cut to me, I would try just throwing some shims under the action for testing. When you figure out how much you need to shim it to make it work right with all your mags, bed that sucker with the shims in place. I hate to say it, but an AICS should be bedded anyway, no two machined surfaces will ever mate perfectly free of stress.

Isaac, if you need a good source for shims just let me know and I'll show you the best place to get them on the cheap. For starters I'd probably just use standard washers to test the theory, then replace with proper shims when you bed it.

-matt

I take back my pop can spacer idea....little to shade tree even for me. I'd go to Harbor freight tool and pickup two of the $3.99 spark plug gap tools like LL's scope install demo uses.

Which mags are you running? AW or AICS? Whoever inletted it should have had the mags there when they inletted it to make sure everything fit and as per Marty's instructions the mag release lever may need to be trimmed for the mags to fit properly.

Not a big deal.

Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take back my pop can spacer idea....little to shade tree even for me. I'd go to Harbor freight tool and pickup two of the $3.99 spark plug gap tools like LL's scope install demo uses. </div></div>

They're called feeler guages.

Thanks to all that said their peice... We're gonna yank the spacers, skim bed the stock and trim the catch lever.

Adam, i'm useing the AICS mags... When are you gonna get your web site up ALL up and running? Gonna need some more mags soon!

O and NO i'm not gonna say who milled out the stock, no need for bashing on the Hide. BUT... I will call him and address the issue.

Any chance you can post a link to Marty's instructions or post a copy of them here? I'll be inletting an AICS for a M2008 in the next couple months.

koz, just give him a call. He's a great guy to deal with and answers EVERY question you'll have.