• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2009 elk hunting pics

hopps

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Port Angeles, WA
kinda crappy quality, all I had on me was beat up cell phone.

I spent 2.5 days tracking this loner and every night he would move a good 2 miles from where I jumped bed/ saw him. He wound up on the wrong end of a .270 @ 225 yards, he made a mistake and went back to a feeding spot that we saw him in a week before season. ----guess how many guys it takes to drag one into the back of a truck?
1109090903-00.jpg

these were taken 5 minutes after shooting hours. Thanks to the landowner for loaning us his skidder. .358 STA on the left, 7mm STW on the right.
1107090839-22.jpg

Almost got ran over by this one and the 4 cows that were with him. I switched from optics to my trusty 760 pump 06 when I went into the alder patch that they spent the night in. Got him at about 20 yards...

100_18082.jpg
One of his horns was busted off, probably happened in the velvet. Also looked like a muzzleloader ball/bullet hit his other horn. He was having a bad year. He dwarfed all the other bulls taken last year in body size.

This was my first elk after over 10 years of watching/hearing them get shot, usually by others in my party but not always.

Re: 2009 elk hunting pics

Those Roosevelt Elk have got some huge bodies on them....lots of great meat there...well done!! You guys really earn your elk in that thick cover!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those Roosevelt Elk have got some huge bodies on them....lots of great meat there...well done!! You guys really earn your elk in that thick cover! </div></div>

thats for sure...you can spend a full day tracking in thick brush before you <span style="text-decoration: line-through">get a clear shot.</span> get to even see anything.

Favorite days are when its raining, walking up within 10 feet of a loner or a herd can make for an interesting 10 seconds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: littletoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you guys end up cutting it up yourselves, or send it out?</div></div>
We cut our own, don't trust the butcher shops around here.

got a nice 6x6 rosevelt elk down here in eastern oregon, i know how you feel we spend alot of time tracking them!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: villhelm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got a nice 6x6 rosevelt elk down here in eastern oregon, i know how you feel we spend alot of time tracking them! </div></div>

We have Rocky Mtn over here not Rosie's.

You arent kidding! I have shot a couple way and the back country and packing them out certainly seperates the men from the boys. Great looking animals!