• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

200yd Golf ball match.

littlesister

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2021
alabama
About 5 years ago myself and several other members of my local Gun club decided we wanted to push the limits of 22 accuracy and try something more difficult than the normal 50yd targets. a 200yd golf ball shoot is what we came up with. Basic rules are 22lr only, unlimited guns any rest no rail guns. Guns can't be attached to rest. Shooters get 10 sighters and 10 shots for score. Golf ball must clear rack to be called a hit. Balls are shot left to right and you don't advance until you get a
hit. We shoot 2 relays so a perfect score would be 20 hits. We also keep up with the most hits in a row. Matches are shot once a month 12 months a year. After having shot over 60 of the matches I've learned a lot about shooting remfire at 200yds. To show how difficult this match is, I've won the last 3 matches. One with 3 hits, one with 10 hits and the last match with 12 hits out of a possible 20. I have also zeroed more than once. I've been seeing post from a lot of new shooters interested in long range remfire .If anyone is interested, I'm more than happy to share what I've learned concerning Guns ,scopes ,tuners, ammo, rest, setup and sighting in and etc. to be able to hit 20 golf balls with 20 shots a 200yds. By the way, no one has shot clean 20 for 20 in over 5 years of shooting!

Attachments

• IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
We had two golf balls at 200+ for a PRS type match. It's extremely difficult, especially when you're need to shoot it twice and it's swinging from the first hit(They were hung from a string). They were at the end of the string of fire, so often times you wouldn't even get a chance to shoot at it if you timed out. Ours were orange and still nearly invisible to the naked eye at 200 yards. Extremely satisfying when you do hit it though.

Reactions: Starbuck and lash
Nice! I like this.

I’ve been running some NRL22 based matches with an additional five stages that I push distance and ideas on. This past weekend, I had golf balls on strings at 74 yards as the fun stage. Ten shots at 10 points each. Other times, we’ve used full soda cans at 209 yards and once, full shaving cream cans on strings at 209 yards.

I think these types of matches and stages help to keep it interesting for people and kids and keepthem coming back.

Reactions: SicVic
We had two golf balls at 200+ for a PRS type match. It's extremely difficult, especially when you're need to shoot it twice and it's swinging from the first hit(They were hung from a string). They were at the end of the string of fire, so often times you wouldn't even get a chance to shoot at it if you timed out. Ours were orange and still nearly invisible to the naked eye at 200 yards. Extremely satisfying when you do hit it though.
Our matches aren't timed. Only interested in accuracy. Balls are held in place with butyl car window setting material. Always sticky never gets hard.

I run this at our matches at 200 some times. https://www.atlastargetworks.com/products/reactive-golf-ball-rimfire-target

Most I've done is 6/10. Generally we are getting 3/4 out of 10.
I agree ,3 or 4 hits out of 10 is about average. Anything over 5 will generally win our matches but then you have to back it up on the second relay. last match I had 5 hits on the first run 7 on the second. Two months ago I had 3 hits first run 0 on the second but 3 was enough to win! You have to have a gun but then it's all about conditions!

Reactions: lash
Man, its easy to hit it twice, ask me how I know lmao

• Haha
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
What ammo are you using?
Eley 10x. Before the shortage I would order 10 different lots. Then lot test and try to find a couple of good lots. Then buy a brick or two of each. I have also done the same with Black box and had good results with it also.

Reactions: RTH1800
Man, its easy to hit it twice, ask me how I know lmao
Here's the photo of our notorious yellow golf ball at 210y, at a match that was cancelled by the graybeard Fudds at the Boulder Rifle Club. It's hanging off a t-post just left of the triangle target.

When we ran this match , it got hit often enough, and was tons of fun to shoot at.

068D3FE0-33D2-4163-99C5-F986EB6DEF87.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is another similar idea. At our range we have put eggs on top of orange traffic cones and shot them at 200+. A golf ball would sit on top of the cone too.

Here is another similar idea. At our range we have put eggs on top of orange traffic cones and shot them at 200+. A golf ball would sit on top of the cone too.
Actually eggs were the first idea someone suggested but we changed to golf balls simply because their reusable and not near as messy. It's amazing how a subsonic 22 round will penetrate a golf ball a 200yds. Its also possible to make hold point corrections by watching the ball movement when you get a hit.

We run this as well in our matches :)

Reactions: acudaowner
wanted to try one on a 600 yard target still trying to figure out how to suspend it so it stays put . On the ground they are fun love it when they shoot off like a little rocket after being hit . gf just suggested nylons as they can be shot many times while still holding the golf ball and it could still swing like the other targets but any of the idea's could work .

Last edited:
wanted to try one on a 600 yard target still trying to figure out how to suspend it so it stays put . On the ground they are fun love it when they shoot off like a little rocket after being hit .

You could try screwing a stainless steel eye hook into a ball and hanging it on a string from a rack or shepards hook or drilling straight through it and putting a rod through it and attaching it to a rack so it will spin when hit... take a walk around the fastner isle at a hardware store and you can rig something that will work

Reactions: acudaowner
I drill my golf balls on the drill press and run 550 cord through them. Shooting at 10 or 20 in a row would be a lot of fun. Sounds like a great competition.

I run .22 long range matches here and always try to have one unique stage that isn’t steel. In March and May I set up 36 golf balls by screwing #8 x 5/8” stainless Phillips pan head screws in on side leaving about 3/16” of threaded shaft. I then used yellow surveyors line and slip knots on each end of the line. I screwed #8 screws into the edge of two 2x20s about every foot apart and set the boards on different rungs of two ladders.

The strings are plenty strong and, out of two matches with a total of about 50 shooters with ten shots each, I only lost two golf balls. One due to a direct strike on the screw and one from a hit in the string.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope