• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2010 Oklahoma Whitetail

OKbow87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2006
Oklahoma City, OK
Had a good hunt the first week of rifle season. The deer in western OK were rutting hard. I witnessed more fights, chasing, and posturing than I have ever seen before. I also saw a lot of mid day movement and I think it may have been due to the full moon. Anyway I shot this guy last night after passing several other deer in the previous days. Beanland built 243 and a 105 grain berger vld brought him to his end. Ran about 20 yards after the shot. After field dressing and caping the deer I was surprised that he went anywhere with the damage done to the heart and lungs.

I left the digital camera at home on accident, so I only got to take photo's with my Iphone 4. I wish I had some better quality ones.

Re: 2010 Oklahoma Whitetail

Good looking buck bro!! That's a fine main frame 8

That's one heck of a buck Bud!! Great job! The bucks around here are chasing does harder than I've seen in 20+ years.

Great deer. What did he weight after he was dressed? Looks like a nice mature deer for sure.

I have no idea. Probably around 140 lbs. They changed the regulations where you can check a deer in online in the state of Oklahoma now, and since people that do that most likely have no way of weighing them, they are just asking for an estimated weight now. A lot of the actual check stations haven't put up scales this year. I shot a doe with my bow earlier this year and this buck. Took them to different check stations and neither had scales.

I actually think he is only 3 1/2. I was a little disappointed in myself as I usually stay very calm and look deer over well, and I didn't do that at all with this deer. I looked at his head(mostly just the rack) for about 1.5 seconds and decided to shoot and never even looked at his body. The deer I killed last year from the same field(within 5 feet of where this one was shot) is what a mature western Oklahoma whitetail looks like. He weighed 192 pounds and was run down big time from rutting hard.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...285#Post1482285

On a side note. Judging from the rack characteristics, I believe last years deer is probably the father of this years. They both have main beams that wrap around and make pretty much a 180 degree u turn back in. They both have bladed g2's, although this years buck doesn't have near as much mass, and both of their left brow times are crooked.

Nice Buck. Yeah they were rutting hard. Something in my area pushed them away as I was only seeing doe and spike/forks for a few days after spotting some big boys on the adjacent property. I finally got lucky yesterday morning.