• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2011 All--Army AAR (Stolen off another site)

sinister

Rifle Pointer
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2002
Midland, Georgia
<span style="font-weight: bold">Plucked off another site, After-Action Review by TBJMedic, an ROTC Cadet from North Georgia Military College:</span>

"The "All Army" competition is hosted every year at Ft. Benning, GA. This year it was from 19-26 March. There were 301 competitors making this the largest All Army in 18 years.

(My apologies if this is in the wrong place)

I am listing this here because more than just being a competition it is a fantastic training opportunity. The Army Marksmanship Unit goes to great lengths to give professional blocks of instruction before each phase of competition. The majority of this training was held in a "train the trainer" format with the expectation that soldiers participating would bring the lessons they learned back to their units and integrate them into their marksmanship training.

Hosted by the AMU All Army is the largest Army sponsored marksmanship competition. It consists of competitive courses of fire with the M16a2/M4, and the M9 pistol. The competition is broken down into three phases
-Rifle
-Pistol
-Action/multigun
I will divide my comments amongst each phase of competition.

RIFLE:
The rifle portion of the competition takes place on a Known Distance (KD) range with courses of fire from 500yds all the way up to 25yds. Shots are fired onto "E" type silhouettes that are modified to contain scoring rings, referred to as EIC (Excellence in Competition) targets. These same targets are used for the pistol portion of the competition as well.

Courses of Fire:
Each course of fire starts at the farthest range moving closer to the targets through each round. Each round consists of 10 rounds fired from one or two magazines. Positions are prone, kneeling, and standing. Some of the courses of fire are "slow fire" and some are "rapid." Pay close attention to what your next time hack is so you are able to get all your rounds off. After each round you will move to the base of the burm preparing to run forward to the next get in position and engage targets. Time starts once your targets appear so move at a light double time and you will be fine. Typically 1/3 of your time would be spent moving and the rest shooting. So 90sec---run---& shoot for the remaining 60secs at your position. Keep a watch so you can keep track of time.

Equipment: You are required to wear the kit thats issued to you from your unit Kevlar/LCE. The MOLLE FLC was what i saw the most but there were some old school guys with LBE/LBV out there as well. Ultimately there are so many competitors that you can wear pretty much whatever you want within reason. In addition to the standard gear i would recommend bringing the following:
-Binos, spotting scopes work great but you are going to be moving for time in most courses of fire so having something compact is a major plus. Targets are marked with shot spotters after each round of fire but at 500yds its damn near impossible to see anything. You will need to see your groups so you can make adjustments to your dope.
-PMAGS, a no brainer here. If you can, try and get the 20rd mags. I found that i was able to gain a much more stable position as i could lay much closer to the ground with the 20's.
-Log Book, after reading extensively in the precision threads i figured i would give this a try. I cannot emphasize how much this has helped my shooting. Keep track of your shot groups especially so you can refer back to them and analyze future corrections.
-Stool, the rifle phase makes for long days and during your few breaks having somewhere to chill for a few is nice. I wish i had brought one.

Key points:
-Practice running 100yds getting into position and shooting within 90/60 seconds
-Keep a watch to track time
-Practice wind adjustments and hold offs extensively. At the 500 conditions were changing quickly and dialing in windage was too slow sometimes.
-Keep elevation dope marked on some 100mph tape on your stock.
-Talk to EVERYONE, there are some seriously experienced shooters there. I owe many points to a particular 1SG who kept feeding me his techniques. I used what i liked and benefited from his experience. That being said, there are some soldiers who are NOT as knowledgeable so be careful who you are listening to until those first shot spotters pop up.
-The Audie Murphy match consists of a 1.8 mile run in full kit up to the firing line before firing. Fairly simple, show up in shape to get more points on the run. At 17:00 you broke even and lost points up to the cut off at 25:00

1231518492_9FbND-M.jpg

1231527614_nxdBC-M.jpg

PISTOL
The second two day phase of competition. Distances are from 35yds to 10yds slow and rapid fire. Fired on the same paper EIC targets as rifle. There was a much lower number of people who seemed very knowledgeable on pistol marksmanship. But hey, the army doesnt shoot pistol very much as a whole. Positions are standing two hand, kneeling, prone, standing barricade supported and kneeling barricade supported.

Equipment: Same as rifle with the addition of holster. You are required to bring whats issued but again i saw some variations here. Most carried Serpa drop legs. I threaded my Serpa through my ACU belt to get it off my hip. It worked much better for me that way. There is a 2 mile run for pistol and having the holster on your hip is favorable to on your leg.

Positions: Two hand standing is a no brainer. I had the benefit of attending an AMU pistol clinic where i adopted a staggered stance like a boxer for example. This was different to what i had learned before but was a huge benefit to me. My scores improved greatly. For kneeling you are allowed to use both knees on the ground, i recommend this technique. I found it to be much more stable. Prone requires some minor getting used to so if you have never done it try it out to get familiar. For the barricade positions get some practice before hand and keep that slide from dragging and getting stoppages.

Key Points:
-Practice magazine reloads, some courses of fire are very quick (20sec) so you dont have time to dick around.
-A dump pouch is a must, some firing points are pretty sandy and will fuck your shit up if you are clumsy with those mags.
-WATCH, you need one to stay on track
-Practice slow and rapid fire. Make sure you take your time with the slow fire phases, 60secs is a long time and there is no excuse to drop points by rushing

1231498617_SJwQ5-M.jpg

1231499333_aCnJp-M.jpg

1231494220_QvfgA-M.jpg

ACTION
The last two days of competition are action pistol/rifle. You will fire on steels and paper targets. If you have never fired this type of match before get some practice ahead of time, many soldiers were far behind the power curve as first timers. Equipment same as pistol and rifle, that dump pouch is a must here to keep your mags clean. Im running short on time so here are some key points:
-War game out each phase before going through to make sure you cut seconds off your time.
-Try not to be first, you will learn from watching others go before you
-There is one stage with some 100yd rifle shots on 6in steels. Make sure you compensate for how you zero. The X zone on those EIC targets is mid chest so if your point of aim was center mass your point of impact will be higher (for me at least). So pay attention to the difference between point of aim/impact because you have very little margin for error. Aim high/low as required

1231621841_SeW6P-M.jpg

1231624273_veviw-M.jpg

Closing:
If you do well you will win some pretty good shit. Secretary of the Army custom M1 garand for rifle, AMU customized 1911 for action, and a sweet 1911 for pistol. Guys won a swarovski scope, a dillon press, various AR rifles, and the prize table had a shit load of geisslle triggers, danner boot certificates, versapods, the list goes on. I was in the cadet category and got a 1k scholarship.

Its a great opportunity to get some awesome training and maybe come away with some cool prizes. If there are any questions please ask I will be more than happy to share my experiences."

Re: 2011 All--Army AAR (Stolen off another site)

Record Number of Shooters Attend Army Small Arms Championship
Mar 29, 2011

By Michael Molinaro (U.S. Army Markmanship Unit)

FORT BENNING, Ga. -- More than 300 Soldiers from across the Army descended on Fort Benning March 19-28, to take part in the 2011 U.S. Army Small Arms Championship, the 'All-Army,' the preeminent marksmanship training and competition event the military has to offer.

Army Reservist Sgt. 1st Class Russell Moore, 91st Small Arms Readiness Group, Camp Bullis, Texas, won the overall individual championship, his third championship in a row. Winning the title is a significant accomplishment, but the ultimate goal of the event is to raise the overall combat readiness of the Army.

"The All-Army Small Arms Championship not only provides the training every Soldier needs to excel in marksmanship, it also provides a means in which to test it among their peers as well as some of the best shooters in the world," said Moore. "When we all signed up to be a Soldier we volunteered to take on innumerable challenges and new experiences. The All-Army should be one of those experiences for every Soldier. Come out with a desire to learn and do your best and it will be a great time."

Hosted by the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, Soldiers competed in rifle, pistol, and combined arms matches. The long-range championship was held after the conclusion of the rifle/pistol week and competitors shot at targets 800-1,000 yards downrange. The training and competition is like no other Soldiers receive in the military, said Lt. Col. Daniel Hodne, commander, USAMU.

"General Douglas MacArthur's words, 'Upon the fields of friendly strife are sewn the seeds that on other fields, on other days, will bear the fruits of victory,' put this one-of-a- kind training event in the proper context," Hodne said. "The seeds have been sewn here at the All-Army. The responsibility now lies with those Soldiers who took part, to incorporate what they learned into the training of their units. Their efforts will bear the fruits of victory in Afghanistan, Iraq, or wherever the requirements of national security may take us."

The field of Soldiers was the highest in 18 years. Superb weather welcomed Soldiers from Alaska, Guam, South Dakota, Florida and everywhere in between. While a number of wily All-Army veterans such as Moore found their way back to Fort Benning, a large contingent of first-timers embraced the challenges and uniqueness of the championship.

"This is the best thing in the Army," said Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Byler, 1-335th Infantry Brigade, Division East-First Army, Camp Atterbury, Ind. "Marksmanship is a perishable skill. Soldiers should really make it a point to come here for this event. It's great."

Byler came with seven others from his unit on their first trip to the All-Army. They spent two weeks on Fort Benning late last year taking part in a Close Quarters Squad Designated Marksman course conducted by the USAMU. Between the advanced training they received at the course and competing here all week, they are more confident than ever in their marksmanship ability.

"I prefer the service rifle, but it's cool to shoot some pistol, and the run-and-gun stuff is an absolute blast," said Byler, an 18-year Army veteran. "You don't get to do that anywhere in the Army. We made a lot of good friends here and got a lot of good pointers on shooting from guys who have been here before. We'll definitely be bringing the team back again next year."

Soldiers were split into four main categories: novice, open, pro and cadet. Winners received plaques, coins, guns and had their names permanently engraved on trophies. The overall high novice shooter for the week was awarded a Secretary of the Army M1 Garand Trophy Rifle and the top pistol shooter won a Secretary of the Army pistol built by the gunsmiths of the USAMU Custom Firearms Shop.

Five Reserve Officer Training Corps Cadets earned scholarship money provided by the Civilian Marksmanship Program. A new award was added to the program this year, the Lt. Gen. Benjamin C. Freakley Award, given to the cadet with the highest aggregate score of the two Excellence in Competition matches. Cadet Matthew Ray of the U.S. Military Academy earned the distinction as being the first cadet to earn the trophy.

The retired Col. Ralph Puckett Excellence in Marksmanship award, given to the Soldier in the novice class who achieved the highest aggregate score of the two EIC matches, was won by Staff Sgt. Matthew Waechter, 132nd Fighter Wing, Iowa Air National Guard.

"The competition is designed to test the entire depth of a Soldiers shooting ability," said Command Sgt. Maj. Chris Hardy, Maneuver Center of Excellence. "No matter where you ended up, participation in this event makes the Army that much stronger. For a competitive marksman, consistently applying the fundamentals and achieving success on the range translate to achieving success on anything that you do, whether on the battlefield or other walks of life."

The following Soldiers were honored at the awards ceremony that brought the successful event to a close:

- Service Pistol Champion - Moore
- Service Rifle Champion - Staff Sgt. Matthew Waechter, 132nd Fighter Wing, Iowa Air National Guard
- Combined Arms Champion - Cadet Matthew Ray, U.S. Military Academy
- Long Range Champion - Sgt. 1st Class David Perdew, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 44th Chemical Battalion, Illinois National Guard
- High Drill Sergeant - Sgt. 1st Class George Pickowicz, Regional Training Center-East, Fort Dix, N.J.
- High Cadet - Ray
- High Novice - Perdew
- High active-duty Soldier - Sgt. 1st Class Nelson Ashbrook, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Ga.
- High active-duty Soldier (E1-E4) - Spc. Kevin Kelley, 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Inf. Div., Fort Benning, Ga.
- High Reservist - Moore
- High Reservist (E1-E4) - Spc. Benson Munyan, 2nd Battalion, 91st Small Arms Readiness Group, Fort Douglas, Utah
- High National Guardsman - Perdew
- High National Guardsman (E1-E4) - Pfc. Jason Parsons, 507th Engineer Bn., Michigan National Guard

Very interesting post. I am currently attending NGCSU myself, but I am not in the military program. I have competed against in them in some local comps, and I have to say that the competition team is top notch.

I registered... did all the paperwork... was ready to go.... But work got in the way of play..... Second year in a roll I missed it!!!!

When My dad was at the AMU, in the 80's I used to ride my bike over the ranges to watch these matches and hang out with my pops. I would hangout with the shooters look through the scopes and they would show me the mirage, how to make wind calls through the Big Eye on Meartens and McAndrews. The shooters would pay me to pick up their brass and pull targets for them. Seems like an eternity ago.