• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2011 Bow buck

NRF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
CORNHUSKER
bow2.jpg

bow1.jpg

Re: 2011 Bow buck

Dude, that's an outstanding buck!! You should be proud. As good a bow buck as it gets!!

Well I don't get much time to hunt, so I spend the rest of the year scouting. I have 10 camera's that keep me well informed of deer moved, once I located this buck I put 4 camera's around where I thought would be his bedding, and travel corridors, I was right! I have over 100 pics of him and once he started moving more in daylight I decided to take a 4 day vacation. The first night I set up on the ground cause I didn't like my first stand stand location that I set up the weekend before and the wind wasn't right. It was close to dark when I rattled he stood up 300 yards away so I grunt snort wheezed and he started to circle downwind of me so I did what I thought was best I got the hell out. The next mid day I moved my stand to the area he stood up the day before, the wind wasn't right to hunt it that night so I sat at a different farm. The next morning the wind was perfect, it was barely light enough to see past 50 yards at this point and I heard something walking to the south of me, it was him, he was now standing at 12 yards below me, I drew and made an easy shot he only ran 35 yards and piled up. what I didn't know till later was I was sitting in his bedroom, exactly where I took the shot, I walked down to find my arrow and found a large bed that reaked of tarsal scent, he was going to bed right before I shot him. Some will call it luck because I don't hunt that much but scouting is more important to locate the travel patterns then put the hunt on patiently than sitting every waking moment just hoping your in the right spot while putting your scent all over there area.
Thanks for the kind words, happy hunting.
Neil

way to go neal...real beauty there. hope he is going on the wall!

that's awesome man. congrats. way to put your time in scouting. paid off big time!

I didn't see this one until just now. Hell of a season you've had man. That is an awesome buck, especially with a bow.

Which one did you get first this one or the gun buck? What did this one weigh? Looks like a giant body and even then his rack still looks huge.

Gross score close to 170"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see this one until just now. Hell of a season you've had man. That is an awesome buck, especially with a bow.

Which one did you get first this one or the gun buck? What did this one weigh? Looks like a giant body and even then his rack still looks huge.

Gross score close to 170"? </div></div>

I got the bow buck first on Nov. 7th. I need to buy a scale but he has to be over 250 once deboning I had 64 pounds of meat, and generally i only get around 50 off of a large buck. He isn't the largest racked deer I have but is the biggest body.

His gross score was 164 He may have a brother that looks like him
wink.gif

that will go 170 this year I'll let you know next year how that turns out
grin.gif

If you want to know where i hunt it is the second hill over the rigde next to the 5 evergreens by the pond in Nebraska.

Well, congratulations on your season. I wouldn't mind having one something like it before I die.

Off to the woods now and yeah let us know how the hunt for his big brother turns out next season.

Where did you shoot him?.. "Near his shoulder" is always a good answer.

Oh, and yes a scale would be nice. I have shot a buck that weighed 264 lbs total and yours looks a bit bigger. I know pictures can be misleading one way or the other. Actually, come to think of it I wouldn't care too much about a scale if I was shooting bucks with racks like those either haha

"redirt78" Where did you shoot him?.. "Near his shoulder" is always a good answer.

Yes right behind the front shoulder. follow the blood stream down till you see the slit from the RAGE this broad head is amazing, I know they come out with new stuff every year but until one of my bucks runs more than 100 yards without losing a blood trail i won't switch. I won't pay for the titanium but the others treat me just fine. He isn't as big as last years bow kill but couldn't pass him up, don't know if you seen that one????

Thanks again,
Neil