• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png
tbaclogo.png

COMPETITION DYNAMICS and THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION present The
<span style="font-weight: bold">2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">27-29 JULY 2012 at SniperCountry (Washakie, Box Elder, Utah)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This event is an adventure race involving: land navigation; practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; fieldcraft; problem solving; and other related tasks. </span>

Two-man teams will be required to navigate at least 30 miles on foot to complete the course. Along the way, there will be a series of tasks to accomplish to gain additional points. These tasks may include: shooting problems with long-range rifle, carbine, and pistols; problem-solving; physical challenges; fieldcraft; communication; target recognition; memory; and other tasks.

Teams must carry all the gear they use to complete land navigation and all tasks, though it may be abandoned at any time. Teams must carry one long-range rifle, one carbine, and two pistols for the entire course. There will be a "packing list" for safety items only. All other gear is left to the discretion of the team based on the task briefing. This information will be posted to this web site far in advance of the match date.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The rest of the details are available on the
MATCH WEB SITE</span>

Re: 2012 24-HOUR SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

I wish I were young again.

Heck, who am I kidding, when I was young I probably still would of had to be helicoptered out,LOL.

Sounds fun Zak!

Zak are you all furnishing free oxygen to us flatlanders
smile.gif

30 Miles.... I might have to rethink my athletic abilities!
I did the Vortex Extreme this year just down the road from Sniper country on the Spirit ridge range and thought I was going to die after running 3 miles.

We are always interested in adding new quality sponsors to our events. If you are interested PM me or email me at Jeff at Thunderbeastarms dot com.

This looks like an outstanding event.

Question-
When you say Land Nav, are you talking about old school land nav, with grid square maps and compass, or are you talking about new school land nav with all the fancy computers and GPS?

I'm an old school Light Fighter and when I was in Army, we didn't have all the fancy new school stuff, so I only have the grid square maps/compass land nav skills.

thanks for any clarification!

No GPS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JamesBailey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This looks like an outstanding event.

Question-
When you say Land Nav, are you talking about old school land nav, with grid square maps and compass, or are you talking about new school land nav with all the fancy computers and GPS?

I'm an old school Light Fighter and when I was in Army, we didn't have all the fancy new school stuff, so I only have the grid square maps/compass land nav skills.

thanks for any clarification!
</div></div>

I almost hate to suggest it but this sure seems like it would make for a great "reality" show on the Outdoor channel or Discovery. I think it would a better story line than most out there now. Have a TV crew following the teams over the course. I'd watch since it's not likey I'd be able to participate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GPS issue is undecided. For now, assume that it's not allowed. </div></div>

Cool. I will see if I can drum up a partner and fly out west for this one.
thanks

This sounds absolutely AWSOME! but I am in no shape to do such a thing, Gives me something to aspire to though.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For any out of towners: I'd be happy to help out anyway I could as a local asset. PM me if you need anything.</span>

We also have an RO program that can get you a comp'd slot at a later match http://competition-dynamics.com/ro.php

TV footage is possible and we're working an angle or two.

Fitness will definitely be a factor in this match, but so will experience and smarts. It's not too late to get in shape if you're not now but are serious about coming. Find a local Crossfit (or similar) gym and have them whip you into shape.

OK, my partner and I are committed to making the trip out for this one.

One thing I would request - if you guys could decide the GPS/no GPS decision soon, that would be much appreciated. If we need a GPS, I will need some time to train up on it. And I imagine lots of guys will need some time to train up on grids and compasses, if that is the land nav method you require.

thanks much and looking forward to this challenge!

Due you have a date for registration? I saw sometime in January, just don't want to miss out. This comp sounds awsome, my old unit from 10th mountain did some training up in utah before the stan last year, it paid off.

First come first served once the registration forms are posted, which will be the night before Monday Jan 2nd.

I'll put teams on the list in the order I receive applications. If enough apps arrive at the end of any day to fill up the match, the day's apps will be taken in random order and everyone else will go on the wait list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GPS prohibited.</div></div>

Will you have search teams to look for me if I participate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This sounds absolutely AWSOME! but I am in no shape to do such a thing, Gives me something to aspire to though.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For any out of towners: I'd be happy to help out anyway I could as a local asset. PM me if you need anything.</span> </div></div>
I may take you up on that offer Sir. I'd really like to make it out to this event. I may even end up needing a partner. If anyone is interested please let me know

My wife and I are already planning on attending. We are just checking into our National Guard drill schedule to make sure there are no conflicts. We are really looking forward to this. No GPS is no problem.

Geb

Chris,
It sounds like Advanced Sniper would make a great sponsor of this event.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost hate to suggest it but this sure seems like it would make for a great "reality" show on the Outdoor channel or Discovery. I think it would a better story line than most out there now. Have a TV crew following the teams over the course. I'd watch since it's not likey I'd be able to participate. </div></div>Really dude? Does everything have to be a reality tv show these days?

Sounds like an amazing event! Main hinderance I see is how would a civilian (me) get land navigation training in order to be able to complete a course such as this. Maybe I missed it but, how will target ranges be identified? Are we permitted lasers or do we have to mill them all or are they given?

There need not be any contention about TV coverage. I'm not a fan of "reality TV", but coverage of a real event need not be "reality TV" either. Have you guys seen <span style="font-weight: bold">Dust to Glory</span>? If not, rent it or watch it on Netflix. It'll get you pumped. That documentary is responsible for at least 50% of my motivation to get into off-road motorcycle racing. Imagine if a video production that "epic" could be made about the Sniper Adventure Challenge...

J_Roger,

I really don't know how fast the event will fill up. In the past, some of my matches sell out in 24 hours or less, while some of the more intense ones haven't filled up because they intimidate more people. We can handle a lot of teams at this event because most of the time the teams will be doing land nav anyway.

Oliveralan,

People with no land-nav experience may want to check out resources on civilian Orienteering. It is a family of sports that require navigational skills using a map and compass to navigate from point to point in unfamiliar terrain. In addition, Assistant Match-Director and professional military tracker Cody Carroll has some availability to run private land-nav training courses prior to the match. You can contact him for details.

I've also added a "tab" for NAV specific info http://competition-dynamics.com/24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge-2012/nav.php This will be updated with more specific info as we get closer to the match, or as questions come up in the mean time.

We will be using UTM and/or MGRS coordinate systems.

As for targets, we could have a "milling" exercise as part of one of the "challenges"/tasks; however, generally at my matches everything is allowed unless explicitly prohibited by the rules or stage briefing. In this case,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any shooting accessories may be used provided they are carried by the team during every stage. Accessories include but are not limited to:
bipods (rifle only), bags, shooting sticks, slings, jackets, gloves, or other shooting support devices
optics such as spotting scopes, binoculars, and range-finders
secondary optics for use on rifle or carbine </div></div>
http://competition-dynamics.com/24-hour-sniper-adventure-challenge-2012/rules.php

hope this helps..
Zak

One other note, to cover some questions I've gotten privately:

Teams must carry the firearms required, but there will be a "packing list" for safety items only-- not a general packing list. All other gear is left to the discretion of the team based on the task briefing, which will be available on the web-site well in advance of the match. I don't want to tell you what to bring, I want to leave that up to the teams to figure out what they think they should bring, if they want to pack light or heavy, etc. That's all part of the problem solving.

The list of required safety items will be things like a certain amount of water, a basic first aid kit, signalling gear, etc-- just examples, that is not the list.

There was a question on what "fieldcraft" means. Basically, in this context it's anything Cody thinks is relevant based on his military experience. Keep in mind that anything we choose will have to be clearly and objectively graded, either pass fail or percent. Making a fire = objective pass fail. Making a shelter = subjective.

This sounds like a blast. Too bad I don't have a teammate, or near the experience yet!! And it's only about a 4 hour drive from me....
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a question on what "fieldcraft" means. Basically, in this context it's anything Cody thinks is relevant based on his military experience. Keep in mind that anything we choose will have to be clearly and objectively graded, either pass fail or percent. Making a fire = objective pass fail. Making a shelter = subjective. </div></div>

Could "fieldcraft" apply to purely military tasks? I.e. calling for indirect fires, infil/exfil from friendly lines, casualty evac...

My skills are a tad rusty here...

BTW-
Great question support Zak- you clearly are very skilled at running these big events.

Thanks for the replies Zak, can't wait for this one. When I got into tactical shooting, this was what I pictured competitions being like. I did events in the Marines that weren't anywhere near as challenging as this promises to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could "fieldcraft" apply to purely military tasks? I.e. calling for indirect fires, infil/exfil from friendly lines, casualty evac...</div></div>
We do not intend to require specific knowledge that is only available from military training. This is not a military-only match; a well prepared civilian team should be able to win if they can perform and solve problems better than the rest. We are all about knowing how to do useful stuff. Just remember that the tasks/challenges have to be objectively graded.

The more I look into this, the more I want to find a partner and attend. If nothing else, at least for the experience....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
We will be using UTM and/or GMRS coordinate systems.

</div></div>

assume GMRS is a typo for MGRS (Military Grid Reference System). If anyone wants the MGRS for Sniper Country, I have it and will share if you ask nicely
smile.gif

Put down team "Cold Bore" for 2 slots. We'll be at a SWAT Sniper school the week before but we will do our best to make this one.

JamesBailey,

If you have the MGRS map sheet name or identifiers I could use them. Please?

Zak,

So will you guys be providing the map sheets in either configuration (Lat/Long or MGRS) that the competitors prefer? My current location filters the content from the tabs on the match web site, and the tabs are thereby blocked. All I can view is the first page. Thanks.

Geb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gebhardt02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JamesBailey,

If you have the MGRS map sheet name or identifiers I could use them. Please?

Geb </div></div>

Geb has been hooked up via PM.

Summarizing info on the NAV tab: We're going to supply a map to each team and you need to know how to use UTM and MGRS, which is how the nav points will be specified. You are free to bring extra maps of the area in hardcopy format (no electronic devices). We will have more information posted on the web site in advance of the map for this type of preparation.