• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 Redding Group Buy questions

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
Im just beginning to get into reloading and know just enough to be dangerous. I want to take advantage of the Redding group buy but dont want to buy items that I will later on regret. I am currently planning to reload for my 308 Win and 25-06 Rem. When I look at Reddings catalog there are about 10 different options for each caliber. Could anyone reccomend what items I should buy?

Re: 2012 Redding Group Buy questions

If you are just starting out, I'd recommend full length and neck sizing dies for both calibers. Don't get too bogged down in the fancy gadgetry; micrometer dies etc. Start out with good solid stuff that will get you loading and out to the range. Get a couple of shell holders for each as well.

You don't mention what type of equipment you already own so I'll just go out on limb here: A single stage press. A trickler (I have a Redding Trickler). A case trimmer. At 40% off, the "Versa Pak" kit would be a killer deal.

As far as dies, I would say just a full length sizer and the competition seating die. That's what I have been using since I was in high school based off of my Dad's advice. I have them for three calibers(308, 260 & 300WM) and has always done the job well above agerage. Just put my order in for the Boss Pro-Pak kit as well. Haven't been this excited since I ordered my AW260 from Mile High.

I am a fan of Redding body dies. They will push the shoulder back when the case gets a little too much crush, and they do not touch the neck. The body die is cheap, and super easy to set up. I find that I rarely use the full length die, as it leaves more neck tension than I want.