• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2012 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png
tbaclogo.png

COMPETITION DYNAMICS and THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION present The
<span style="font-weight: bold">2012 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">OCT 26-28, 2012 at the Blue Steel Ranch (Logan, NM)</span>
(note: dates tentative as of 12/1/2011)

<span style="font-weight: bold">This match is an extreme test of practical field rifle shooting and its supporting activities. Two-man teams will be required to navigate rugged desert terrain, recognize, locate, range, and engage challenging rifle targets from compromised shooting positions, communicate with their partner and the range officer (RO), and do it under time constraints. This match consists of three hour-long field stages, two night stages, and six "assault" stages.</span>

tbtc.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">The rest of the details are available on the
MATCH WEB SITE</span>

Some quotes from 2011 competitors:
<span style="font-style: italic">
"Hoser" Freeman - This has got to be one of the funnest and toughest matches I have ever shot. Mike and I finished each field course completely drenched in sweat and heart pounding. Trying to find that wall of how hard to push movement and still being able to settle in to shoot was a great challenge. The night stages were deceptively tough and the assault stages were brutal and fun. The prize table was awesome. Hard to imagine it was all set up well into well after most all companies had done their budgets for the year. Huge thanks to all the companies that supported this match and us shooters. The scoring was perfect. No issues, no drama. I cant wait for next year. Bring it.

Mike Kolar (SRM Match Director) - "I'm really excited about this match -- I want to shoot it again right now!"

FCB on SnipersHide.com - "This was by far the best match I've ever been to and the best test of a rifleman that I've seen."

Quickdraw40 on SnipersHide.com (Team Pro Plate) - "We are lucky in Colorado (Wyoming/Northern New Mexico area) to have venues such as the Blue Steel Ranch. We are also lucky we have persons (Thunderbeast/Competition Dynamics team) who are willing to take the time to organize and run such matches. No square range shooting here folks and you better be in shape. If you have shot Steel Safari, this was like Steel Safari on crack with super cool side matches thrown in for fun. Organized well, no drama, super quick scoring, and an amazing prize table. Thank you to Zak, Ray, Dave, Loraine, Jeff, and all of the ROs. It was a great time!"
</span>

The 2011 match thread has photos and video from last year's event
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2663133#Post2663133

Re: 2012 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE

Damn Zack, wish you'd move to the Southeast
smile.gif
. Gonna try hard to make it to one of of your 2012 "events"

We are always interested in adding new quality sponsors to our events. If you are interested PM me or email me at Jeff at Thunderbeastarms dot com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mendocino is THE MAN. He got together an excellent prize table for the 2011 match in basically 3 months. </div></div>

+1

next year there will be a two-WOman team :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrsquickdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">next year there will be a two-WOman team :) </div></div>

Show us how its done Jessie!

The 2011 match was an excellent event, probably the most fun match I've shot. I can't wait for this next one.

I'm in! The 2011 match was great, can't wait for the 2012 event!

I want to do this. I need a 3-gun carbine shooter in the Denver Metro area that would like a long rifle team mate. Plan it now would give us plenty of time to become familiar w/each other. PM me. I shoot with QuickDraw at least once a month now if you need to ask anyone if I worth a shiv...on second thought, dont ask him
smile.gif

Regards,
DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to do this. I need a 3-gun carbine shooter in the Denver Metro area that would like a long rifle team mate. Plan it now would give us plenty of time to become familiar w/each other. PM me. I shoot with QuickDraw at least once a month now if you need to ask anyone if I worth a shiv...on second thought, dont ask him
smile.gif

Regards,
DT </div></div>

D_TROS is good people and would make a great partner.

Has the date been set in stone for this match or is it still tentative? Do email or mail our registration form in on the 2nd?

Also, what is the best airport to fly into?

Dates are final. App needs to be sent; how you do it is up to you. Closest airport is Amarillo. For reference Logan NM is about 5.5 hours south of Denver.

Let me draw your attention to the Competition Dynamics RO program.

<span style="font-weight: bold">THE DEAL
It's pretty simple - if you apply and are accepted to RO a match, you get a free, guaranteed slot at another CD match of your choice in the following 12 months. </span>

DETAILS- http://competition-dynamics.com/ro.php

We are pleased to announce that Trimble has signed up as a Sustaining Sponsor for the 2012 Competition Dynamics matches (excluding the SH Cup). Trimble makes super rugged field computers (and lots of other stuff) that is used by military snipers and others around the world. We are really happy to have the backing of a billion dollar corporation.

ReconFront.gif

We are pleased to announce that XS Sight Systems has signed up as an Associate Sponsor for the 2012 Competition Dynamics matches (excluding the SH Cup).

xs-logo-alpha.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mendocino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are pleased to announce that XS Sight Systems has signed up as an Associate Sponsor for the 2012 Competition Dynamics matches (excluding the SH Cup).

xs-logo-alpha.png
</div></div>

I had the privilege of shooting with Monte from XS sights and they have some truely innovative sighting systems. Looking forward to seeing you and hopefully lonnie in a few months. thanks for being our walking buddies in the Mammoth Tough Man Division

Excellent. My friend is unable to get time off for this. Anyone in Texas interested in going to this and in need of a partner drop me a PM.

I'm back from SHOT Show and caught up to date processing applications. If you've send in an app, check the forum link on the match web site to make sure I've received it. Thanks.

Zak,
DT1 and I are flying into Amarillo the morning before the match. Is there anywhere either along the way or at the property we could confirm zero and/or shoot out a couple hundred yards?

Thanks
jim

We're rolling the TBTC into the same online registration system that the SHC, 24HSAC, etc, are using. Everyone who has registered already should have received an email with their link. I do need you to update your info.

thanks!

After shooting a team match at PMG, I cant wait for this one now...

Bill

This one is coming up in a few months and we still have team slots available.

I am also looking for a few more RO volunteers. At this match, RO's may shoot the match prior to everyone else, and they will shoot everything "blind" with Ray or I or other staff ROing them so it's fair to everyone.

Please let me know if you're available and interested in RO'ing the 2012 TBTC.

thanks
Zak

Zak, I'll RO a match for you next year, but my schedule is full this year. I'd love to shoot that match, and honestly, ROing it would be an education. having run several team matches, there's just nothing quite like watching a couple guys trying to solve a problem. it's pretty entertaining and enlightening

Will scoring be similar to the SHC?

Can the primary carbine shooter use shooting assists such as shooting sticks, tripods, and sling? Just no bipod, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Sake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will scoring be similar to the SHC?

Can the primary carbine shooter use shooting assists such as shooting sticks, tripods, and sling? Just no bipod, correct? </div></div>

Here is a link to the rule: http://www.competition-dynamics.com/thunder-beast-team-challenge-2012/rules.php

Zak may provide additional commentary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can the primary carbine shooter use shooting assists such as shooting sticks, tripods, and sling? Just no bipod, correct?</div></div>
Yes, provided they are not attached to the rifle (would then qualify as a "bipod" and would not fall under the Tactical division rules)

Can't wait for this match - Get to see some fantastic shooters, and shoot in some unusual terrain, both the field and assault stages.

Looks like there are a few spots still open, grab a partner and jump in. No matter what experience you have, you will probably learn something new at a CD match. I always do.

This match is coming up fast!

This weekend I'm down in Logan doing scouting for the new 2012 stages.

Also, here's a heads-up that there will be some procedural/scoring changes for 2012. Here are some of them in draft format (final spec to be in match handout):

1. On the field stages, instead of carbine misses being -1 and no positive points for carbine hits: carbine hits will be worth +1 (up to the 3 carbine hit targets per station) and no minus points for "FTN". There will still be carbine FTE penalties. This means that the total points possible per field stage is 45 (15 carbine plus 30 rifle) plus any time bonuses.

2. Time bonuses will be awarded like last year, but their value will be scaled by your hit ratio. So if you finish in 47:30, you'd get credit for 13 minutes, and that 13 would be multiplied by your total number of hit targets (including FTE penalties) divided by 45. So if you and your partner hit 35 targets out of 45 and had no FTE's and finished 13 minutes early, you'd net 10.1 time-bonus points, for an overall field stage score of 35+10.1 = 45.1 points.

Are competitors allowed to use a flashlight or headlamp at night (dial dope, make changes, etc).

Obviously, it sounds like they would have to carry it during the day since it would be in their kit?

You won't be able to use any light you bring during the night stages, and we'll have "light discipline" going on so everyone's night vision stays good. Only the RO's will use a small amount of light for safety checks. We will provide a way to illuminate the targets enough to shoot them.