• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2012 Wild River Ranch Hunt for heroes

HTR707

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 12, 2008
Rockport, TX
We just completed our 2012 Hunts for Heroes, Easter weekend.

3 wounded servicemen came to the ranch for our annual donated hog hunt. I really enjoy doing this and its my best attempt at showing my gratitude to guys like this, who have sacrificed in ways many Americans could never even understand. I hope more of you will consider donating this type of hunt. It seems to take these guys out of the mindset of having to claw back to normalcy and simply gets them out in the field with a bunch of guys hunting, telling lots of stories, with the camaraderie of what we typically do in hunting camp. Most of the time, the guys are a little unsure of themselves at first, but once we get to shooting and killing hogs, the genuine, relaxed smiles on their faces are telling, and quite touching. Whenever I think how "tough" my life is, its good to be reminded what tough really is. It really helps to give one perspective.

We treated them to our usual full-scale operation hog hunt, complete with spot and stalks, stand hunting, and the famous HELGA-guided Rat Patrol monster truck, hunter-killer team op using suppressed SBR's, NODs, thermal, and lasers. In all seriousness, some of them have lost limbs, or suffered disfiguring burns, yet they climbed into deer stands, hoofed it along on rough ground when we stalked and pushed themselves, where others without disabilities might have given up.

Though I see them in the camp, removed from the regimentation of military life (that's the point), I'm amazed at the resiliency of some of these guys and I'm proud to have them representing us around the world.

The hunting was spectacular. We had hogs coming out on to the shooting range behind the house, allowing a 1000 yard stalk, multiple kills on foot with the guys climbing down from the truck, and textbook stalks without ever spooking one pig. There were lots of DRT's and some huge hogs killed.

Special thanks goes to Drake Miller and the guys who put the event together, Billy Imes of LMS Firearms for his generous donation of suppressed range toys and ammo, and to my neighbors & partners, the Hubers, for donating their time and assistance guiding. Thanks to WTU for allowing the guys to do this.

Enjoy the pics!

Day one :

Arriving in camp. Lots of guns and smiles!

DSCF3002-5.jpg

First night's hunt:

We spotted this pig on the HELGA's M24 thermal from 1000 yards, and once we confirmed it was a hog, he stalked in with me. We had to sneak past two different deer on the way, and once we got to 100 yards, he confidently said "I got it...." Damned right, head shot at 90 yards, with a handloaded Hornady 120 SST / AA2200 load from the suppressed Noveske 6.8 with D-740 scope. Ssssssssst, Thwop, DRT....what a great shot. This was his first pig!

DSCF3018-2.jpg

Our second pig, shot in the river bottom, with the SCAR. This was the hunter's first hog with the SCAR. Some Frggin' cool milestones on this trip.

DSCF3008-1.jpg

Day 2, Range time:

Shooting the "stubby"

DSCF3039.jpg

Into the rat patrol truck:

DSCF3042.jpg

Night fall:

DSCF3054.jpg

Three more stalks, after dismounting from the truck. The D-740-equipped SBR 6.8's shooting both the 95 TTSX and the 120 SST, pummels these pigs.

DSCF3060.jpg

More hogs :

DSCF3064.jpg

To round out the hunt, we even called in a Gobbler:

DSCF3030.jpg

There you have it. I wish these guys well.