• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png
tbaclogo.png

COMPETITION DYNAMICS and THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION present The
<span style="font-weight: bold">2013 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE</span> - <span style="font-weight: bold">SPRINT CLASS</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">ENDURANCE CLASS</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">4-7 JULY 2013 at the Felix Canyon Ranch (Mayhill, NM)</span>

The 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge is an adventure race involving land navigation, practical shooting with long-range rifle, carbine and pistols, fieldcraft, problem solving and other related tasks.

The Sniper Adventure Challenge, had its debut in 2012 and was very well received by active and non-active military, law enforcement, and citizens.

Due to demand, the 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge will be expanded to provide an Endurance Class (24-30 hours of effort, 30-40 miles of on foot land nav) as well as a Sprint Class (8-16 hours of effort, 8-15 miles of on foot land nav).

<span style="font-weight: bold">The rest of the details are available on the web sites:
MATCH WEB SITE - ENDURANCE CLASS
MATCH WEB SITE - SPRINT CLASS</span>

Intel:
Click here for 2012 INFO
Click here for 2012 SH Thread

REGISTRATION IS OPEN NOW

Re: 2013 SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

I have been anxiously awaiting the release of details of the SAC for this year. I competed in the match last year and absolutely enjoyed it. I thought the 2012 match was well planned, professional, and just about right in size and difficulty (with a few exceptions).

Unfortunately I am overall disappointed in what I am seeing for the 2013 version of this epic race. Here is my take on what I see so far.

The good changes:

I love the idea of having a sprint class. This was my biggest complaint of the 2012 race. There were too many teams that came unprepared and physically could not complete the race. My team was one of the few that actually made it to every checkpoint (I think only eight teams actually finished everything) and was very frustrated at the end of the race having to wait two hours at a checkpoint so that lost/late teams could be found so we could start shooting. It was also frustrating having to wait for teams that skipped checkpoints who were given priority at latter stages just because they happened to get there first because they skipped checkpoints. I think these problems will be fixed with the endurance/sprint classes.

Keeping the length of the race at 30-40 miles was a good idea as well. I thought that last year's length was perfect.

Bad changes:

When I saw that we were going to be having the race outside of Mayhill, I had mixed feelings. I assumed we would be in the mountains of Mayhill which would be good because of the high elevation and cooler temps (the mountains of Mayhill go really high up to 9000 feet). I also like the forest terrain. Its fun to run around in. I was shocked to see that we were actually going to be in the desert east of Mayhill.
The area of the ranch is pretty bland with little elevation gain/loss. The biggest "mountain" I could find in the area was a 300 ft hill. I really liked the terrain of last year because it included several really killer climbs including a 2000ft ascent at one point. This really separated the men from the boys. I don't see much of a challenge in rolling foot hills. Also, after looking at YouTube videos of the ranch I was not impressed at all. I watched a quail hunt on the ranch and the video did not leave me impressed. The terrain had so much sharp rock and cactus that the ranch could not use dogs because they would get beat up so bad in the terrain. There is a very fine line between making a race tough and making a race "uncomfortable." The only "uncomfortable" aspects of the 2012 SAC was the heat and the 3 mile dead weight haul down freshly tarred road in 95 degree weather. The rest of the race was physically challenging, but not "uncomfortable." This location is going to be nothing but uncomfortable. We are constantly going to be brushing against cactus plants in ultra high heat (the elevation is 5000ft right off the border of Mexico in July). Add to that the sharp rocks everywhere and I think problems are going to arise. We had a hard enough time with dehydration at the last race, I can only imagine its going to be more of a problem this year. I think injuries are going to increase as well. I just can't imagine walking around in the dark with all of that cactus everywhere! That is really going to suck.

The flat terrain will make orienteering more challenging which is a plus though. That will be a real challenge. Check out this video to see the country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYPCPTMGkY

The other problem is that Mayhill is really isolated. The closest airports are ABQ, Lubbock (both 4.5 hours away) and Carlsbad. All of these airports offer limited flights and Carlsbad is really expensive to fly into. Last year you could fly into SLC which is a Delta hub so it was pretty much a direct flight for everybody with Delta access. Also, there were a lot of hotel and eating options for the travelers. There are no hotels within reasonable access to the ranch. Although the ranch has graciously offered us lodging, I personally don't want to be bunked in a room with a dozen other guys before and after a race.

My biggest complaint is doing the race over the 4th of July. I understand this would help some people get out of work, but that's the only upside. Flights are even more expensive on a holiday, and I don't know about most people but I like to spend holidays with my family. Also spreading the race over four days makes it even more costly and difficult to plan. I would have to fly out on the 3rd, do the four day race, and then fly back on the 8th. That is six days I'll have to plan out and miss the entire 4th holiday with my family. This increases the costs this year (more missed work, more hotel rooms, etc.) Last year travel expenses and match fees cost our team about $1000. This year because of the location, the added days, added driving distances, increased match costs, etc. I'm estimating conservatively about $2750 for the team (which doesn't include missed work).

I hate to say it but the positives don't outweigh the negatives for me. As much as I loved the race last year, We are going to be out this year which is a bummer. I don't want to sound like a whiner, but I'm really disappointed. We finished in the top five last year and I had every intention of trying to win the race this year.I had higher expectations so I feel a little let down.

Good luck to all the competitors this year! Maybe I'll see you next year.

Sorry you won't be making it this year.

For airports, try El Paso. It's closer and has good availability.

I understand your complaint about the schedule. No schedule will make everyone happy, and we have to work around the venue as well as our other events. I know a bunch of racers from last year were waiting on our dates to set up the rest of their competition year, and some sacrifices will be necessary to be part of an epic event.

The FCR is an ideal place to run an adventure style long-range shooting event. Yep, the terrain is much different than what we had last year in Utah. We don't just plunk down the same event regardless of location-- everything is tuned around its potential, be it stages in the Steel Safari or SHC, or the land nav route, shooting stage, and "challenges" in the SAC.

One thing potential competitors might think about is, what did the layout of the 2012 match effectively rule out that this venue does not? If the level of physical and mental difficulty of the 2012 event was about right, how might a similar level be realized at this venue? I won't be giving you the answers here..

We have over 230 square miles to work with. If you're worried about it being "challenging" enough, think about how much of a walk in the park it was to MCP1 even though there was almost no elevation change.

The on-site lodging package includes meals (before/after the course) and is a good deal..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elk Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The good changes:

I love the idea of having a sprint class. This was my biggest complaint of the 2012 race. There were too many teams that came unprepared and physically could not complete the race. My team was one of the few that actually made it to every checkpoint (I think only eight teams actually finished everything) and was very frustrated at the end of the race having to wait two hours at a checkpoint so that lost/late teams could be found so we could start shooting. It was also frustrating having to wait for teams that skipped checkpoints who were given priority at latter stages just because they happened to get there first because they skipped checkpoints. I think these problems will be fixed with the endurance/sprint classes.
</div></div>

This was also my biggest complaint from last year. I was on one of the teams that actually finished all of the checkpoints, and yet, we finished behind a team that skipped checkpoints.

It's not called a "Challenge" for the heck of it - and anyone who has spent time at Pendleton can tell you that rolling hills are definitely a challenge. Frankly, MCP1 to MCP2 was not a huge challenge for me, it was all the steep descents (I fell about a half dozen times).

My teammate from last year and I will be there.

Zak, do you know if the ranch will allow us to use their dirt airstrip? I suppose that I could just call them...

Looking forward to it! Although it's very different terrain, I know it will be very hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Come and Take It</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking forward to it! Although it's very different terrain, I know it will be very hard. </div></div>

Yep.

Looks like another epic event. I am looking forward to it, but I am severely disappointed in the date choice. Will see if I can swing it, but missing aholiday with a young family of 5 is going to make it a tough decision. We learned a lot last year, and I have been training for this for a few months now, if I can't make it I wish all competitors a safe and epic ride this summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zion zig zag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elk Assassin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The good changes:

I love the idea of having a sprint class. This was my biggest complaint of the 2012 race. There were too many teams that came unprepared and physically could not complete the race. My team was one of the few that actually made it to every checkpoint (I think only eight teams actually finished everything) and was very frustrated at the end of the race having to wait two hours at a checkpoint so that lost/late teams could be found so we could start shooting. It was also frustrating having to wait for teams that skipped checkpoints who were given priority at latter stages just because they happened to get there first because they skipped checkpoints. I think these problems will be fixed with the endurance/sprint classes.</div></div>This was also my biggest complaint from last year. I was on one of the teams that actually finished all of the checkpoints, and yet, we finished behind a team that skipped checkpoints. </div></div>One big challenge for running these kinds of gruelling matches is the ability to attract the repeat competitor. That's why I like the change of venue and the sprint class.

That said, I would like to see a rendezvous point set-up for individuals who are able to continue: The idea being that if you can make it back to the rendezvous point you can formulate another team and continue the match from there. Last year my team mate went down (literally) and, unable to continue getting to each checkpoint in order, I volunteered to RO a stage for the duration of the match. I had a great time meeting everyone, but it was frustrating to see other able-bodied teams continue and shoot the remaining four stages despite having been hopelessly lost or having camped-out in the night and skipped checkpoints altogether.

We will be there, looking forward to the extra space.

Can you give details on the snake population, and will we get to fight Steven Segal this year?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
zion zig zag said:
Elk Assassin said:
That said, I would like to see a rendezvous point set-up for individuals who are able to continue: The idea being that if you can make it back to the rendezvous point you can formulate another team and continue the match from there. Last year my team mate went down (literally) and, unable to continue getting to each checkpoint in order, I volunteered to RO a stage for the duration of the match. I had a great time meeting everyone, but it was frustrating to see other able-bodied teams continue and shoot the remaining four stages despite having been hopelessly lost or having camped-out in the night and skipped checkpoints altogether. </div></div>

Good idea

Another thing about flatter terrain is that there are far fewer handrails for navigation, making micro-nav way harder, especially at night.

Gotta think about it a little Zak, but I'll be there if I can. Had a blast last year.

I just have to say guys, if you want something that is a real challenge, a formative experience, do this. Really, it doesn't matter how you do, train your best and get out there.

Succeed or fail, you will learn a ton about yourself, your equipment, and your buddy. The CD group puts on a great event, and with the new area, there is a _lot_ of terrain to cover, this is way bigger than even last years event.

We are in.

I think you guys are hurting Zak's match with the negative conversation about teams that didn't hit all MCPs. Only 8 of 34 teams (IIRC) did.

For various reasons my partner and I were not able to hit all MCPs but we hit what we could and finished on top of the conex at dusk.

We made mistakes in nutrition, gear and training and paid for them. Sometimes that happens when you compete and particularly in ultra distance events which take small mistakes and magnify them for a long period of time and yield huge differences in result.

We still had an epic experience, learned a lot and sadly we won't be able to give it a better shot this year.

Last edited:
This event is intended to be extraordinarily hard. A team that physically and mentally prepares should be able to finish unless they make mistakes.

And just finishing the SAC is a significant accomplishment.

Some of you may have noticed that your checks haven't been deposited yet. I apologize for this. I have been waiting on some documents from the lawyer before moving to a new bank and I finally got acceptable versions this week. We should be able to deposit your checks next week. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

SNIPER ADVENTURE CHALLENGE - SPECIAL POINTS AVAILABLE
At one of the checkpoints, you will be able to hand in proof of "publicity" for an additional 100 event points. To obtain the points, you must write about why you are competing in the 2013 Sniper Adventure Challenge, your goals, and what are some of the things you are doing in preparattion. This must then be published in one of the follow ways (1) print media with public distribution (magazine, newspaper, etc); (2) an article on an established blog; (3) a Facebook post that gets at least 100 "Likes"; (4) starting a "Forum" thread that goes for at least 3 pages of discussion. A print-out will suffice as proof. This is an easy way to get 100 points ahead before you even show up.

Hi Everyone! I found out about this on Facebook & have some questions. Is this open to women? I've never done anything like this, I have no military back ground and very limited skills in this area. However, I'm a huge supporter of the 2A and a very motivated person. Diane Feinstein's comments about a woman not being able to defend herself with one of these "killing machines" has put me over the edge. I feel like I need to prove it to every one that women can do things like this and that women can shoot a gun. Any kind of gun. I live in CO and with all the legislation that was passed this week also has me motivated to do this. Anyway, any suggestion on how to find a team mate? Where do I even go to start training? I DO have the funds to purchase any weapons/gear needed to actually compete. I'm also wondering if there are any training groups that would be willing to sponsor me. Meaning to train me, not to buy my equipment. Any suggestions on finding a sponsor to train me? Thanks in advance for the info!

The competition is open to anyone who may legally possess the firearms and is mentally and physically prepared to address the challenges.

For land navigation, check out Civilian Orienteering.

This thread and the 2012 24H-SAC thread contain a lot of information about what to expect at this event in particular.

There are a variety of training schools for the firearms component. If you provide your locale that might be helpful for suggestions.

I'm currently in Highlands Ranch CO, but will be moving to Conifer CO in about 4 weeks.

Bambi,
We had two women IIRC in the SAC last year. I believe there are two registered for this year. You may also want to email [email protected] about competing in CD events. She staffed the SAC last year and shot the Thunder Beast Team Challenge last October (and had almost no carbine experience prior to August 2012). I'm sure you will find her perspective interesting and worthwhile.

LEAF Arc'teryx & Deliberate Dynamics Sniper Adventure Challenge Promo

Guys and gals, this is a great deal for the 2013 SAC competitors!

LEAF Arc'teryx & Deliberate Dynamics Sniper Adventure Challenge Promo

Unreal 35% off MSRP Pro Sale for LEAF Arc'teryx! send email to [email protected] to get your coupon code. Special Pro Deals on other brands as well (Geissele, Glockworx, USO, Aimpoint, and more).

This is a Pro discount that is only for competitors that have already registered for the 24-Hour Sniper Challenge. Product must be shipped to and paid for by the competitor to be valid.

Special Prizes will be available for those competitors that are wearing LEAF Arc'teryx during the event…..don't be left out!

I think you guys are hurting Zak's match with the negative conversation about teams that didn't hit all MCPs. Only 8 of 34 teams (IIRC) did.

For various reasons my partner and I were not able to hit all MCPs but we hit what we could and finished on top of the conex at dusk.

We made mistakes in nutrition, gear and training and paid for them. Sometimes that happens when you compete and particularly in ultra distance events which take small mistakes and magnify them for a long period of time and yield huge differences in result.

We still had an epic experience, learned a lot and sadly we won't be able to give it a better shot this year.

This is what really interested me about this event. I haven't done anything like it. Out of all the other competitions I see around this is the only one I want to do, because it's hard. I don't care if I win or get a ribbon that says good job, I just want a good hard coarse to test myself and my gear. I didn't make last years and won't make this one, but I'm preparing and going to do my best to make next years. I hope you hold it next year because I really can't wait to see how I do.

This is what really interested me about this event. I haven't done anything like it. Out of all the other competitions I see around this is the only one I want to do, because it's hard. I don't care if I win or get a ribbon that says good job, I just want a good hard coarse to test myself and my gear. I didn't make last years and won't make this one, but I'm preparing and going to do my best to make next years. I hope you hold it next year because I really can't wait to see how I do.

Yep, exactly - The shooting part just makes it super fun, but everyone finds a new limit, without it being stupid. I've done events where they find a limit, like 'OK, I'm on the 900th low quality burpee after rolling 5 miles in your tick and $hit infested pasture and throwing up my guts', wheras here, you might find your limit is something more subtle 'My land nav isn't as good as I thought it was' or perhaps another skills related.

Or you might find your feet need more work!

Bambi, my teammate is up in Conifer, PM me or find my 'competition thread (shameless plug)' for questions. Also, I'll see if I can drum up a female teammate for you, not sure if she is available.

NMMX - Last year's event was without a doubt a kick in the nuts. It WILL test yourself, your skills, and your gear. Shooting is just a part of it.

Bambi if you are moving to Conifer, there are lots of places for the train up over by Bailey. The Harris park range is not long but you can put a hurting on your body with the mountain terrain and then practice shooting under physical duress. Also a good place to practice land nav in the dark, elevation of the range is 9300ft and I wish more women teams would enter these kind of competitions, I have seen women carrying packs and knocking out fourteeners where they have left their male couterparts behind. You need to start a thread if you are serious about this of what you will need for equipment and what training you would require. I just wish Zak had two of these competitions twice a year, me getting time off of my job after our vacation vote sucks. If I still lived on the westeren slope that would be the perfect place for the train up in the desert between Grand Junction and Delta during the summer months for this event. Take a trip and go see Diane at Mile High Shooting Accessories, Diane shoots a lot and if you need to get a rifle and pistol she would be more then happy to assist you.

Last edited:
The Gear List has been published.

It is the same for ENDURANCE and SPRINT classes.

It is almost identical to the 2012 list with the following changes (so far):

1. Working/registered SPOT tracker required. We will need the public tracking ID about 3 weeks before the event. It's a string that looks something like this, "0ZMcLvSXpEPWpQSrWEziD7p9qj5v39cpx". We will send out email to get these at that time.

2. The military style duffel bag may be used to cache items to use for resupply during the race. We will pre-place the duffel bags at a predetermined location that will be noted on your route cards. You still need to have all the required gear items on you or in your packs, but you can put additional stuff in here you might want to resupply during the event.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year, but I'm really looking forward to being there next year! It'll be a lot of fun as well as a huge challenge. Just gotta make sure my teammate will make it.

Bambi - I live in Conifer and would be happy to help out with training suggestions. PM me and we'll figure out how to connect.

Was just looking at your map of the area, and I have some concerns you might help me with. Your "150,000 acre private facility" is made up of primarily BLM land...I'm guessing a good 80% of it. While I'm sure the ranch has grazing rights to the BLM, that does not give them the authority to sanction an event like this. Have you pulled permits with the BLM to operate on the lands or will we be skirting the public land and sticking to the private? Also, if we are operating on BLM, what will happen if the BLM institutes "no firearm discharge" rules on its land like it did last summer? I know there was a great deal of BLM closed to shooting most of last summer due to fire warnings. After all this will be in July and I expect there is a good chance of closures.

Another issue I can see happening is that we will run into recreational vehicles/users on the BLM as well. That seems like a wild card when it comes to safety... and also dust problems from ATVs etc.

I'm sure you have thought of all of this, but I just want to be sure.

There is no issue with land access and use. The ranch solved this problem a decade ago with BLM agreements that cover our use and a spectrum of other similar uses. There will be no public use of the land during our event.

With regard to fire danger. Last year there was a "close call" at SniperCountry when the county wanted to shut down all shooting - private land or otherwise - due to the perceived fire danger. We were able to avoid it coming to that due to some good work by the SniperCountry management. Heck, we had a few moments where we thought the SnipersHide Cup might have to be cancelled due to fire encroaching on that property. These risks are still possibilities, and if there is enough direct or public risk from natural disasters, the competition would have to be cancelled or delayed. That's just how it works. But we'll do everything in our power to prevent things like that from affecting the event. Even if there were a BLM restriction on shooting, there are plenty of wholly-private areas we can set up your shooting challenges.

Thanks for your concern.

Anyone looking for a partner? I missed last year due to gear/partner troubles. I took care of the gear; just need a partner. Please email me at [email protected] if interested. I am located in central TX.

Bambi if you are moving to Conifer, there are lots of places for the train up over by Bailey. The Harris park range is not long but you can put a hurting on your body with the mountain terrain and then practice shooting under physical duress. Also a good place to practice land nav in the dark, elevation of the range is 9300ft and I wish more women teams would enter these kind of competitions, I have seen women carrying packs and knocking out fourteeners where they have left their male couterparts behind. You need to start a thread if you are serious about this of what you will need for equipment and what training you would require. I just wish Zak had two of these competitions twice a year, me getting time off of my job after our vacation vote sucks. If I still lived on the westeren slope that would be the perfect place for the train up in the desert between Grand Junction and Delta during the summer months for this event. Take a trip and go see Diane at Mile High Shooting Accessories, Diane shoots a lot and if you need to get a rifle and pistol she would be more then happy to assist you.

Thanks!! I'll look her up next week. I'm really excited about doing this. I'm already learning a lot more than I ever imagined. I think I'm going to start a Youtube channel & a facebook page and document my training. I'm realizing that this year it isn't going to happen if I really want to be competitive (or want to actually finish for that matter) I need much more training. So, maybe over the next year I can help inspire other women that have always wanted to do this.

If there is anyone in the Albuquerque/Northern New Mexico area participating in this race who like to train together drop me a line. I did last year's race and I'm registered again for the endurance class.

Zak,

Quick question: All carbine and pistol rounds must be carried in magazines. Round count for pistols is approx 100. This means, with my 15 round magazines for my pistol, at least 7-8 magazines are needed, correct?

I just heard about this, this sounds really awesome. I am trying to get a friend to sign up with me.

I have a q on the water - Is there potable water at the stops, or do we need to bring tablets/etc for each location?

There will be clean water available at "some" but not all of the mandatory checkpoints. These will be marked on your route sheet or noted during the briefing.

There may be some cattle water available around the property too but treating that appropriately would be up to you

We just got word from DELIBERATE DYNAMICS that they will have SPOT trackers available to competitors at a discount. They're not up on the web site yet, but will be soon. This year we will have real-time team tracking using the SPOT system on our web site for people online and anyone at the match HQ.

These are the same guys that are extending 35% off Arc'teryx LEAF gear to 2013 SAC competitors -- they know who is registered.