• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 TRG 22/42 trigger inferior in feel to prior trigger?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Hello all,

I just got done playing with a TRG 22 with the new 2013 upgrades, and while it is a great rifle, the one thing that stuck with me is that the trigger doesn't feel much at all like the old one. I'm all for reliability upgrades, but not at the expense of the defining characteristics of the rifle.

I'm curious- has anyone else noticed the same? Preferably someone with significant TRG experience. I think I fall under that category, having owned a 22 folder, a 42/Ashbury, and having a ton of rounds on a buddies gun on top of my two. This trigger felt completely different from the other three. The first stage was mushy/gritty, and the second stage, while very crisp, was quite heavy. I did adjust to the limit of the adjustment range, and the weight is quite a bit heavier than the "legacy TRG."

I don't think the trigger will cause noticeable difference in accuracy, it's still damn good, however, it does slightly decrease the enjoyment factor. I am posing this post in the case that perhaps this 2013 trigger is an anomaly, and maybe it's worth sending back?

Thoughts? This isn't my rifle. It belongs to a friend, who bought in part due to a strong recommendation on my part.

-Bob

Hello all,

I just got done playing with a TRG 22 with the new 2013 upgrades, and while it is a great rifle, the one thing that stuck with me is that the trigger doesn't feel much at all like the old one. I'm all for reliability upgrades, but not at the expense of the defining characteristics of the rifle.

I'm curious- has anyone else noticed the same? Preferably someone with significant TRG experience. I think I fall under that category, having owned a 22 folder, a 42/Ashbury, and having a ton of rounds on a buddies gun on top of my two. This trigger felt completely different from the other three. The first stage was mushy/gritty, and the second stage, while very crisp, was quite heavy. I did adjust to the limit of the adjustment range, and the weight is quite a bit heavier than the "legacy TRG."

I don't think the trigger will cause noticeable difference in accuracy, it's still damn good, however, it does slightly decrease the enjoyment factor. I am posing this post in the case that perhaps this 2013 trigger is an anomaly, and maybe it's worth sending back?

Thoughts? This isn't my rifle. It belongs to a friend, who bought in part due to a strong recommendation on my part.

-Bob

I concur 100% - the new 2013 TRG triggers are nowhere near the previous TRG triggers...they feel heavier and are not as smooth & crisp. It's too bad as, the TRG triggers were the best feeling 2 stage triggers out there in a bolt gun platform.:(

I know we didn't really talk about it much last night but did you try and clean it? I would give it a good flush with lighter fluid (while working the trigger) to see if the gritty feeling comes out of the 1st stage. It may have some lube in there from assembly that has picked up a little dirt. Just a thought.

The more I play with mine the less I want to sell it, they did have damn good triggers...

I know we didn't really talk about it much last night but did you try and clean it? I would give it a good flush with lighter fluid (while working the trigger) to see if the gritty feeling comes out of the 1st stage. It may have some lube in there from assembly that has picked up a little dirt. Just a thought.

The more I play with mine the less I want to sell it, they did have damn good triggers...
Yeah I took it out of the gun and flushed it with lube. I didn't try lighter fluid, maybe that's next. The trigger appears to be totally different, and there is only one adjustment screw (with a paired locking screw.)

Interesting to hear the reports. I had a TRG-22 and loved the trigger so much that I ordered 42 as quickly as I could when I heard about the change. I wasn't even sure if I needed a .338LM, but definitely knew I wanted it to have the traditional trigger.