• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2013 Vortex Lone Star Challenge

boss

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2005
Texas
2013 Vortex Lone Star Challenge

The 2013 Vortex Lone Star Challenge will take place April 5-7th. The Texas Precision Rifle Club will be hosting the event at The Rifle Ranch near Frost,Texas. The 2013 match will be based upon the structure of the highly successful 2011 LSC, with many new and exciting challenges.

The TxPRC will be providing some of the best shooters in the State of Texas to RO the match and help out with many of the match development tasks. Match directors Rich Emmons and Kevin Elpers have already been hard at work designing challenging courses of fire.

The registration period for the 2013 Vortex LSC will be open from now until January 7th. This is a rolling registration, and slots WILL NOT be granted based upon entry time. Priority will be given to 2013 PRS members, 2011 LSC Alumni, and friends of The Rifle Ranch. Some slots will be reserved for active military, new, and industry shooters. If you are a new shooter, active military, or do not meet one of the criteria above, please complete the APPLICANT BIO section and tell us a little about yourself. The entry fee for the match is $225 and payment will be required by March 1, 2013. Participants will be informed no later than January 16th regarding their entry status.

The link to the match registration can be found here:

<span style="color: #3333FF">2013 Vortex LSC Entry Form</span>

For TXPRC members that wish to sign-up to work the match, please complete the following form:

<span style="color: #3333FF">TxPRC Match RO/Help Sign Up</span>

We are very grateful to Vortex Optics for taking on the role of the Match Sponsor. We will be running the prize table in a different fashion for this match. Vortex will be supplying the awards for the top competitors. Trophies will be presented to the top ten finishers. We will also have Course Of Fire sponsors that will be providing high value awards to the winners the sponsored COF. Any one individual will only be allowed to walk with one COF award. If an individual wins more than one COF, they will be able to choose from whichever item that they want, then the remaining items go to the second place finisher, etc. Ties for the COF awards will be broken based upon match placement. Some COF awards may be designated to go to a specific finishing position on that COF. Any additional items donated to the match will then be placed on the prize table and the competitors that did not place in the top five or win COF prizes will walk the table in order of finish.

Firearms will be limited from 6mm to .30 caliber, 3150 feet per second, manual bolt action or semi-automatic precision rifles. We will “profile” your ammo and chrono any rounds that we think might cross the 3150 threshold. Bullet weight will be limited between 105 and 168 grains. We feel these limitations will fit in with what 98% of you shoot. The rules are in place to protect our expensive targets and to reduce match down time due to target repair. We will make exceptions for those shooting duty gear. No pistols. Targets will be mostly steel between 250 and 1200 yards, plan accordingly.

Thank you for your interest in the 2013 Vortex LSC!

Link to the 2011 LSC Video: <span style="color: #3333FF">2011 LSC Video</span>

Re: 2013 Vortex Lone Star Challenge

I think you either have a typo or need to reconsider your bullet weight limitations. Many people shoot the 175SMK in the 7mm calibers as well as .30. I would suggest a 180 grain limitation for those that are running 175smk as well as those running 7s with the 180 berger.

Just a thought but there is no reason to limit it at 168. Velocity I can understand if you have softer steel but limiting at 168 isnt right IMO. I can burn through a soft AR400 plate with a 162amax at 100 but my 180 berger just dents it.

Velocity is what is going to kill your steel, not weights. And as you move up to heavier weights, there is a linear tradeoff in speed as you cant push those heavier bullets to the same speed as the lighter rounds without excessively long barrels or encountering pressure limitations.

Why dont you just say no magnums instead of what you have now because thats really what youve done but unfortunately youve included a number of other very common setups as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you either have a typo or need to reconsider your bullet weight limitations. Many people shoot the 175SMK in the 7mm calibers as well as .30. I would suggest a 180 grain limitation for those that are running 175smk as well as those running 7s with the 180 berger.

Just a thought but there is no reason to limit it at 168. Velocity I can understand if you have softer steel but limiting at 168 isnt right IMO. I can burn through a soft AR400 plate with a 162amax at 100 but my 180 berger just dents it.

Velocity is what is going to kill your steel, not weights. And as you move up to heavier weights, there is a linear tradeoff in speed as you cant push those heavier bullets to the same speed as the lighter rounds without excessively long barrels or encountering pressure limitations.

Why dont you just say no magnums instead of what you have now because thats really what youve done but unfortunately youve included a number of other setups as well. </div></div>

We may consider allowing heavier rounds in the competition, depending on what it is. If you don't meet the bullet requirements, post that in the APPLICANT BIO section of the entry form.

I understand that speed is the issue with putting holes in targets. But that has not been the problem in past matches. Energy from these large projectiles impacting steel targets breaks bolts, welds, stands, etc. While all of these types of damage can be repaired, doing so slows down the pace of the match. Every time there is target damage, I can usually guess who was on the line or just completed the course of fire.

In the recent PRS finale, only 3 shooters out of 56 used bullets above 168gr. The highest place finisher was 33rd. Again, we know we can't make everyone happy, but we do not want to ruin a match with constant breakdowns.

Understood and no offense meant here but if youre using targets that cant handle a 175 SMK from a 308, then you may want to consider a different target design.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Understood and no offense meant here but if youre using targets that cant handle a 175 SMK from a 308, then you may want to consider a different target design. </div></div>

I was thinking the same thing. I've got 4 precision rifles I would consider for this type of contest and none of them would meet the qualifications for it.

I'm RO'ing this one for Kevin and Rich, and am looking forward to it. I may or may not be able to be bribed with a good bottle of wine.

flounderv2.......
no offense but... We got this!
.308/175smks will fall under duty gear, not a big deal.

cbass, If you don't have one rifle that will fit the criteria then this isn't your match, but then again it never was.

Awesome, Rich I'm guessing 178 AMAX is alright as well? I'm just shooting out of a lil .308 at 2650. Plus with me there is less worry as I hardly hit targets at the rifle ranch. Just check my last score sheet!

This will (hopefully) be my first match, I have been watching the video from the 2011 match you guys put on and REALLY want to shoot this!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, Rich I'm guessing 178 AMAX is alright as well? I'm just shooting out of a lil .308 at 2650. Plus with me there is less worry as I hardly hit targets at the rifle ranch. Just check my last score sheet! </div></div>

Dieselgeek, when it is your turn to shoot at 1200, we'll line up rocks on the tower for you to throw instead. With a good arm you may get as close to the target! Good to see you back in the game!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselgeek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, Rich I'm guessing 178 AMAX is alright as well? I'm just shooting out of a lil .308 at 2650. Plus with me there is less worry as I hardly hit targets at the rifle ranch. Just check my last score sheet! </div></div>

Dieselgeek, when it is your turn to shoot at 1200, we'll line up rocks on the tower for you to throw instead. With a good arm you may get as close to the target! Good to see you back in the game!!
</div></div>

That's if I'm lucky. Don't temp me to run out and get a 6.5 barrel slapped on here between now and then. Honestly it will be a lil while before I do that, I bought to many .308 components! It's a fun round when you're not competing.

Need to clarify that the 5th will be a late afternoon to dark check in/zero/ shooter brief /possible side match.. Not a competition day. More details later. Also we should have you out of there by 3-4 on Sunday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm loving some of y'alls comments in the Bio section, you guys are creative! </div></div>

Glad you liked it.. I deleted the good ones, didnt know who would be reading them Ha Ha.

Just a bump reminder match registration is now open.(see first post)

Now that the Holidays are done it's gonna be pretty busy at the Rifle Ranch. For those that joined us last year,you will see quite a change, Kevin has added 6 new shooting lanes of fire that will run simultaneously throughout the match that will move shooters quickly and efficiently during the match. This year we have also slowed the pace down on the majority of the stages... for good reason, they are gonna be looooonnngggg shots
smile.gif

Signed up....hope to get to shoot this and meet some new people.

Just received a semi trailer full of boulders. Along with the pile of structural steel, we have the start of some very interesting courses of fire!

Rocks%20and%20steel.jpg

Last day to sign up, how is the attendance looking?

We have over 100 entries, will be narrowing it down in the coming weeks via::<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Priority will be given to 2013 PRS members, 2011 LSC Alumni, and friends of The Rifle Ranch. Some slots will be reserved for active military, new, and industry shooters.</div></div>

Some of you may start getting notifications by next week.

I just sent out the emails to the entries that were accepted for the match. Check your junk mail, since I sent these out in a batch. I will let those on the wait list know something by the end of the week. Thanks for your interest in our match. We look forward to seeing all of you all in Texas!!

Kevin and Rich

Everyone including those on the wait list have been sent emails. Please let me know if you signed up and did not receive an email. Thanks.

Vortex Lone Star Challange

Hey everybody this match is fast approaching. Just wanted to let ya'll know Kevin has been busting his butt here lately to get this match ready for you in now less than 1 month. The amount of work that goes into these things makes you sometimes question your sanity.

Kevin has given me a lot design responsibility so basically if you hate it you can blame me.
I'm really happy how things are turning out. We've taken a years worth of PRS match critiques and our own personal preferences to implement what I feel will be the most challenging and genuinely practical long range steel matches yet.

I hope all 84 of you truly enjoy it.

If you shot the LSC '11 you will see some similarity but we changed it a lot. We slowed stages from 60 seconds to 120 seconds and tried to ensure quality rounds are spent. You won't see any cheesy barricades or props to shoot off of.
If its not real or practical to take a shot from it won't be there. No need to practice high power position shooting with your 17 lb rifle. We won't force you to shoot from a certain position we'll let the position force your preference of shot. I wanted to focus on long range hunting and combat/sniper scenarios that challenge you mentally and physically. but most of all you will have shoot smart to do good. Anyways, we will try to get you some more updates soon.

Sponsorship is coming along very nicely, this will be a huge match possibly one of the biggest of the year as far as participation. Vortex being the Title Sponsor has been especially generous to the competitors! We are also doing a unique award system based off of stage performance and score, so basically each stage can produce 18 different winners and we are gathering some healthy sponsors for each stage. But we could use some more help from companies if you are interested let us know as soon as possible so we make arrangements for the match.

here is more info: http://www.lsc.therifleranch.com/_Media/sponsor_letter_1_med.png

http://www.lsc.therifleranch.com/sponsors/sponsorship-info.html

competitors: Please visit the website for other math details and timeline :http://www.lsc.therifleranch.com/info/match-details/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boss
Originally Posted By: dieselgeek
Awesome, Rich I'm guessing 178 AMAX is alright as well? I'm just shooting out of a lil .308 at 2650. Plus with me there is less worry as I hardly hit targets at the rifle ranch. Just check my last score sheet!

That's if I'm lucky. Don't temp me to run out and get a 6.5 barrel slapped on here between now and then. Honestly it will be a lil while before I do that, I bought to many .308 components! It's a fun round when you're not competing.

No more worries about this. I'm now supersonic out to 1500 ish yards :)

kmXnfuw.jpg

MAN I though South TX had high winds. There was some high winds today. This is my first time shooting a match here at Kevins place. There is a total of about 85 shooters here, many from around the country. We also had a EMP event here and cause all of our electronic equipment to NOT work. We could not use any electronic equipment during the match. No Phones, Kestrals, etc. Kevin made everyone go old school. The match is running well except for the wind.

MAN I though South TX had high winds. There was some high winds today. This is my first time shooting a match here at Kevins place. There is a total of about 85 shooters here, many from around the country. We also had a EMP event here and cause all of our electronic equipment to NOT work. We could not use any electronic equipment during the match. No Phones, Kestrals, etc. Kevin made everyone go old school. The match is running well except for the wind.

That's crazy!! I bet most people didn't know what to do, I know I wouldn't.

Just wanted to say thanks from the Silencerco guys. Rich and Kevin put on a hell of a match. It was ran about as flawless it could be.

Sorry I'm just getting around to thanking everyone, I just received a smoke signal from Kenny saying it was ok to start using my phone again

Thank you to all that put this match on! I had a great time and enjoyed shooting and hanging out with everyone. I want to thank the sponsors for supporting the PRS and a special thanks to Vortex for stacking the prize table with some amazing glass.

Kevin, Rich, and all the RO's and Support...Awesome job with everything. I can't think of anything that I didn't enjoy about this weekend (except the speeding ticket). Great CoF and definitely looking forward to the next one!

Congrats to John and Chase and frankly anyone that got some hits in these conditions. Lots of wind but I'm definitely a better shooter for having had the opportunity to shoot this match along side some truly great shooters!

What an Awesome match! Probably the best I have ever been to.

A huge Thank You to Kevin, Rich, Mrs. Elpers & Emmons, all of the RO's that dedicated their weekend for our enjoyment.

Also a huge Thank You to all of the sponsors. We couldn't do what we do with you guys! We really appreciate it!

I absolutely Loved the courses of fire and would Love a chance to shoot it again under some different circumstances.

Dean-o

Please take time to give these folks a quick call,message or new purchase order and thank them for supporting the LSC.[/size]

Vortex Optics 608-335-0114 Scott Parks [email protected] Vortex Optics - Home MATCH Title Sponsor

GA Precision 816 221 1844 George Gardner [email protected] Home - GA Precision GOLD

Surgeon Rifles Inc. 405-567-0183 Wade Stuteville [email protected] Home | Surgeon Rifles GOLD

Bushnell 706-573-7484 Tom Fuller [email protected] Bushnell - Binoculars, Riflescopes, Tactical, Spotting Scopes, Laser Rangefinders, Trail Cameras, GPS GOLD

Third Generation Shooting Supply 405-229-0942 BJ Bailey [email protected] Shooting Supply Store at Third Generation Shooting Supply GOLD

Euro Optics [email protected] Welcome to EuroOptic.com - EuroOptic.com GOLD

Nightforce Optics Todd Litt Mary Milam - Admin Asst. [email protected] [email protected]
Nightforce Optics, Inc. | Precision Optics for Precision Shooting GOLD

DPMS 320-345-9223 Adam Ballard/ Shane Cuperus [email protected] [email protected] DPMS Firearms GOLD

Rock Solid Stocks 214-215-2344 Todd Reynolds [email protected] GOLD

Khaybes Optics-- 208-476-6000 Ken Pratt usa*::*KAHLES Gesellschaft m.b.H. http://www.facebook.com/khaybes.opticsu

Silencerco 801-417-5384 Joshua [email protected] Silencers - Suppressors - Gun And Rifle Sound Suppression | SilencerCo GOLD

Lousiana Precision Rifles 318-422-0421 William Roscoe [email protected] Louisiana Precision Rifles, LLC - Manufacturer of Precision Firearms - Long Range Hunting Rifles, Target Rifles, and Tactical Firearms GOLD

Chase stroud Hog hunts 8176136785 Chase Stroud [email protected] Gold

Defiance Action (406) 756-2727 [email protected]
Defiance Machine GOLD

Stiller Precision Firearms 972-740-0108 Curtis Helton [email protected] Stillers Precision Firearms GOLD

Shilen Rifles 972-875-5318 Wade Hull [email protected] Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc. GOLD Crawfish Dinner and supplied barrel

JP Enterprises 651-426-9196 John Paul [email protected] JP Rifles GOLD

ESP – Electronic Shooter Protection 303-659-8844 Jack Homa [email protected] Shooting Ear Protection | Digital Hearing Protection | ESP America GOLD

RBrosRifles 360-791-4741 Travis Redell [email protected] R Bros Rifles GOLD

Thoroughbred Rifles LLC 214.704.4700 Dale Troutt [email protected] Thoroughbred Rifles - Custom Precision, Hunting & Tactical Rifles GOLD

ESS 877.726.4072 Ari Drougas [email protected] GOLD

Berger Bullets 7144475485 Ryan [email protected]
Berger Bullets | Match Grade Rifle Bullets for Target, Varmint, Hunting and Tactical Applications GOLD

XLR Industries 970-241-1807 Kyle Miller [email protected] XLR Industries | Tactical Innovation Redefined GOLD

Manners Stocks (816) 283-3334 Tom Manners Manners Composite Stocks GOLD

McMillan Stocks 623.582.9635 Ryan [email protected] Fiberglass Stocks, Synthetic Stocks, Tactical Stocks, Hunting Stocks, Benchrest Stocks, Competition Stocks GOLD

Surefire May [email protected] Welcome to Surefire GOLD

WieBad/ 979-255-2759 David. [email protected] WieBad.com GOLD

JEC Customs 817-504-1637. Jason JEC Customs Home Page GOLD

Score High Gunsmithing Charley Robertson [email protected] Score High Gunsmithing, Muzzle brakes, Bedding Epoxy and Pillar Bedding kits Silver

DSG Arms Zack DSG Arms GOLD

Brux Barrels. Norman Brux 608.592.3324 [email protected] Welcome SILVER

Suppressed Tactical Solutions
956-720-4595 Zach Scurlock [email protected] Suppressed Tactical Solutions GOLD

MGM Targets
888-767-7371 ext 106 Travis Gibson [email protected] MGM Targets, Taking training to the next level... GOLD with PRS

PRS Richard Emmons [email protected] GOLD with MGM
PRS: Precision Rifle Series

TAB Gear 281-386-9789 Tony Burkes [email protected] Rifles Only SILVER

American precision Arms 706-367-8881 jered joplin [email protected] American Precision Arms SILVER

Belton Feeds Adam Lucksinger SILVER

Butch's Guns Butch Fjosier Butch's Reloading silver

Southern Precision Rifles/ Bugholes 239-289-2338 Greg Young [email protected] Southern Precision Rifles SILVER

Tac Ready 650.646.3410 David Kerley [email protected] TAC READY || Solutions For The Field SILVER

Triad Tactical Steve [email protected] Triad Tactical, Inc. SILVER

Magnetospeed (512) 284-8161 Westin [email protected] MagnetoSpeed SILVER

ZG Customs 2145050543 Tony McCullum SILVER

Bartlein barrels 262-649-1574 [email protected] Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page SILVER

B & T Industries LLC (316) 721-3222 Kody [email protected] Accu-Shot Monopod Precision Shooting Rifle Rest Magpul PRS Rail SILVER

RW Snyder Gunsmithing 712-655-3819 Robert Synder [email protected] RW Snyder Gunsmithing SILVER

Victor Company Michael Victor [email protected] Victor Company USA SILVER

Case Welding Travis Case [email protected] SILVER

Ritten Precision Ted Torres [email protected] Flash Intro Page SILVER

Griffin Armament 262-501-8447 Evan Grant [email protected] Griffin Armament - Gun Suppressors (Silencers) & Accessories SILVER

Line Stretch [email protected] Huntertown Arms - Suppressors for everyone - warrantied beyond life SILVER

Sierra Bullets Carroll Pilant [email protected] Sierra Bullets - The Bulletsmiths SILVER

K&M Training 253-225-6708 Shannon Kay K&M Precision Rifle Training SILVER

American Reaper Arms 402-910-4931 Scott [email protected] American Reaper Arms SILVER

Copper Creek Cartridge Company 573-321-4210 josh [email protected] Copper Creek Cartridge Co. SILVER

Delta Outdoorsman 901-334-6808 Ceylon [email protected] GeoVario LLC - Web Access SILVER

Joe Ducos Joe Ducos [email protected] http://www.facebook.com/joseph.e.ducos?sk=info SILVER

Scope Coat (877) 726-7328 Annie [email protected] Scopecoat.com SILVER

Short Action Customs 440-309-0085 Mark Gordon [email protected] Short Action Customs | Your Foundation for Precision SILVER

Tactical intervention specialists 510-919-7286 Mike [email protected] Rifle Slings - Tactical Intervention Specialists Sniper Rifle SILVER

Kelby's Ian Kelbly Kelbly Rifles SILVER

Alpha Mags 714-381-2885 Chris Parker [email protected] Alpha Industries Manufacturing SILVER

Impact Data Books 440-339-6153 Tony Gimmellie [email protected] Impact Data Books, Inc. - Modular, Premade, Custom Data/Log Books! SILVER

Whidden Gunworks 229-686-1911 John Whidden [email protected] Whidden Gunworks SILVER

Benchmark Barrels 360-652-2594 Chris Reid [email protected] Benchmark Barrels - Home SILVER

Timney Triggers 602-274-2999 Jeff [email protected] Timney Triggers SILVER

Larry Carnes Larry Carnes SILVER

BlackHawk Precision 512-738-1770 Doug Caroselli [email protected] GOLD supplied steel

Geordie Richardson, Jason Christian, Chris Laursen ---Honorary Match Helpers

Last edited: