• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 - Big Dog Steel Challenge @ K&M Shooting Center Feb. 22

Big Dog Steel

Premium AR500 Targets
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
Lima, OH
www.bigdogsteel.com
logocopy.jpg

2014 - Big Dog Steel Challenge

The Event, February 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] 2014
Big Dog Steel is pleased to announce our first annual “Big Dog Steel Challenge”. This event will be hosted by Big Dog Steel and held at K & M Shooting Center (http://kmshootingcenter.com/). The K & M Shooting Center is a world class shooting facility located near Baker, Florida. Targets have been provided for this event by Big Dog Steel. Big Dog Steel creates some of the finest targets in the industry, featuring waterjet cut premium AR500 in varying thicknesses. Big Dog Steel’s premium targets combined with K &M’s premium facility should prove to be an excellent blend for a tactical rifle competition.

This will be a fun, exciting, up-tempo match with minimal “down time” between stages. The course of fire will test each marksman across a wide spectrum of practical marksmanship applications. Competitors can expect to engage targets on an assortment of steel, reactive, paper, and automated moving targets from 5-40yds operating a pistol and out to approximately 1,000yds with a precision rifle. Target size will vary in difficulty based on the shooters position, distance and time allotted.

The competition will require 120 precision rifle and 50 pistol rounds to complete the course of fire. Velocity of ammunition is restricted to 3,150fps and caliber will be restricted to 300 Winchester Magnum and below. All competitors must utilize a holster with at least one retention system. COF will be made public at the start of the competition on Friday at 3:00pm.

Trophies will be provided to the top 5 shooters as well as top 308.

Each competitor will receive a 20% off promo code valid for anything on our website, www.bigdogsteel.com. Orders must be placed prior to February 14 and may be picked up at the match.

Registration – January 15, 2014 @ 10am CST
Registration will be done on a first come first serve basis through our website; www.bigdogsteel.com. The match will be limited to 60 competitors. To secure a slot shooters must register online. No other form of registration or payment will be accepted. Once registration is complete, you will receive a confirmation email. The online cart to register will be not be activated or accept payments until January 15, 2014 @ 10AM CST. Match payments are not refundable. Once the match is full the site will no longer take registrations. If you want to be put on the waiting list, send an email to [email protected]. Wait listed competitors will be contacted if slots open.

Cost
$89 per Competitor (includes match shirt, lunch, refreshments and trophies)

Timeline
Friday, February 21, 2014 –Registration and Zero Range Open
3:00pm-until dark – All competitors must sign-in at the facility prior to heading to zero range– 100yd zero range open

Saturday, February, 22 2014 – Match Day
7:00am Registration
7:30am Welcome and safety briefing
8:00am Match Starts
6:00pm Closing Awards

Hotels
Below are a few good hotels in Crestview FL – they are 30-45 minutes away from the range (apx. 25-30 miles). There is plenty of fast food, restaurants and shopping near the hotels. Please stock up in town as there are not many services near the facility.

Country Inn & Suites
235 Rasberry Road, Crestview, FL
(850) 306-2020

Econo Lodge
3101 South Ferdon Boulevard, Crestview, FL
(850) 682-6255

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
125 Cracker Barrel Road, Crestview, FL
(850) 398-8100

Hampton Inn
3709 South Ferdon Boulevard, Crestview, FL
(850) 689-2378

Quality Inn of Crestview
151 Cracker Barrel Road, Crestview, FL
(850) 683-1778

Airports
Northwest Florida Regional Airport (Ft Walton Beach) – 45 miles
Pensacola International Airport (Pensacola) – 60 miles

Last edited:
OH SNAP!!!!! Another great reason to make it down to K&M. Fingers crossed, and calender set for Jan 14th at 10am.

Thanks for your great sponsorship and leadership for this match, Ryan. Looking forward to it....

Looking forward to another K & M shoot. I'm in. Jimbo is a ringer and should be required to shoot left handed though.

Awesome, need to see if i can make this

I am assuming this is a steel only match, no paper?

Looking forward to another K & M shoot. I'm in. Jimbo is a ringer and should be required to shoot left handed though.

Guys,

This is not a K&M match, but should be a good time none the less. It is written up/described/sounds like one but this is Ryan's match at the shooting center.

Guys,

This is not a K&M match, but should be a good time none the less. It is written up/described/sounds like one but this is Ryan's match at the shooting center.

Shannon does this mean you'll be shooting in it? If so the same applies, left handed that is.

I meant its a great place to shoot regardless of who's match it is. And I second what snyper wrote! Either that or shoot it with a 308.

For anyone looking for a top notch facility to come shoot a match at, if you have not been to K & M Shooting Center you are truly missing out. I am very excited about the match and can't wait to get back to Florida for some warm weather and excellent facility.

As an added Bonus, Ward Lewis of Precision tactical arms company has generously offered to supply everyone lunch. Can't thank him enough for his support. Please check him out! Precision Tactical, NW Florida, Cerakote, FFL

Last edited:
i think we all get it Ryan. These folks are just hoping that Shannon will shoot the match because normally at K&M Shooting Center he's always busting ass running the matches, rather than kicking ass and taking names on the score sheet.

i think we all get it Ryan. These folks are just hoping that Shannon will shoot the match because normally at K&M Shooting Center he's always busting ass running the matches, rather than kicking ass and taking names on the score sheet.

I'm not going to speak for the others that commented, but you are correct, my statement was directed towards Shannon on hopes he will get to shoot. Like you said, it'd be good to see him take a break and do some shooting.

Fellas,

It would be cool to get on line with you all. Although you all have an advantage, as I have never shot a match at K&M ;). I seriously haven't shot much in a year so there is a lot of rust I need to dust off. It will be a good opportunity for you guys to whoop up on me and have a good time. I do want to make a few larger matches this year, this would be a good tune up with some stiff competition from you all. I will do my best to make it down there. I also want to make a few PRS matches this year if it's in the cards.

I know Ryan is working hard to put on a good match and develop a good course of fire. It will be exciting to see what he comes up with and will be a good time. Good to hear PTAC is spotting lunch. Good times.

Shannon

Happy to announce that "Load up ammunition" has pledged to donate 500 rounds of high quality 9mm for the match. If anyone needs help with ammunition these guys can hook you up. 250 rounds will go to a stage winner and another 250 will be donated to a worthy competitor. Load Up Ammunition|home

I've never shot a match involving pistol and only on match at K&M. Is there any thing special I would need? How does most people carry extra mags for pistol? How many mags would be recommended for Pistol? I have everything I think I need for rifle already, but of course I will still take opinions on must need equipment. I saw the thing about needing at least one retention system on the holster. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Can't wait to get out there and shoot with such good people.

I've never shot a match involving pistol and only on match at K&M. Is there any thing special I would need? How does most people carry extra mags for pistol? How many mags would be recommended for Pistol? I have everything I think I need for rifle already, but of course I will still take opinions on must need equipment. I saw the thing about needing at least one retention system on the holster. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Can't wait to get out there and shoot with such good people.

Pick up a double mag pouch (uncle mikes makes a decent inexpensive option) and a good holster with at least one level of retention (push button, strap, friction, whatever just make sure it covers the trigger and won't fall out if you turn upside down or fall down a flight of stairs). You don't really need anything more in my opinion.

Take in to consideration that you may be transitioning from pistol to slung rifle... Don't want that sling to rip the pistol out of the holster as you shoulder the rifle

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thank you so much for such a quick response. Will get to looking. I have a couple Hobus paddle holsters that uses friction, but was worried about ripping it out when slinging the rifle like you said.

Pick up a double mag pouch (uncle mikes makes a decent inexpensive option) and a good holster with at least one level of retention (push button, strap, friction, whatever just make sure it covers the trigger and won't fall out if you turn upside down or fall down a flight of stairs). You don't really need anything more in my opinion.

Take in to consideration that you may be transitioning from pistol to slung rifle... Don't want that sling to rip the pistol out of the holster as you shoulder the rifle

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm in, too. I blame Bryan.

This will be my first precision rifle match, and the first match of any kind in a long time for me. At least I still have a few weeks to finish getting everything I need in place.

Guys, don't sweat the retention too much. For this competition most of our stages that feature some pistol targets, the shooter will start from "low, ready". Then dump the pistol in a safe direction on a table top/or similar. The holster will need to retain the pistol moving from event to event. If your holster is sketchy and you are unsure just email me at [email protected] and I can try and answer your question.

We do make magazine holsters and I'm sure we will have some at the event.

- Magazine Holsters

I searched their entire site and I'm not seeing a sign-area.

Edit: it's 10 CST so account for the time zone differece

Last edited:
Snyper......this match is limited to shooters that haven't run into a giant pole in the ground and ripped off their bumper !!!

Ha ha.....hope to see you there !

In. Should be a sweet match. Just need to figure out which end of my pistol to put the bullets in :p

......this match is limited to shooters that haven't run into a giant pole in the ground

I hate to say this but that leaves me out too. We might have to eliminate that rule since quite frankly you haven't lived until you've run into a giant pole in the ground. Just sayin'