• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup 2014 Hide Cup Rifle from LRI

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    This is our offerings to the alter known as Sniper's Hide for 2014.

DSC_0038.jpg

As mentioned in another thread, the idea was to hold a bit of a theme this year.

In the early 1940's the Dept of the Navy acquired a small gaggle of Winchester M70 CRF actions for the purpose of building precision guns. Later, during the island campaigns of WWII, the Marine Corps put these rifles to use for a short period.

So lays the basis for us choosing the Winchester. Would have been nice to use a period correct action, but I only have one and I don't love you all quite enough to part with it. A late model variant of the classic action made by F/N will have to do instead.

DSC_0034.jpg

Next, we chambered it in 300 Winchester Magnum. Specifically for the MK248 Mod-1 as its the brain child of NAVSPEC and Crane. The barrel is an early 2004 vintage Lilja NAVSPEC contour that I had kicking around from a project I worked on years ago. Muzzle is threaded for 5/8 24 and capped with one of our std thread rings.

DSC_0039.jpg

I designed/built a lugged base for the action similar to what's used on the M40-A3. Had to pay a little homage to Uncle Sugar's Misfit Club with that.

DSC_0036.jpg

For paint we went with our rendition of Naval Digital. Kalli is finishing it up as I type this actually.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0024-1.jpg

The stock is a Manner's all carbon T5-A blank. Just cause it's a sexy biche. Normally I loath thumbholes, but Tom certainly knocked this one out of the park. Perty cool.

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Northern Hills Precision Ammunition was kind enough to work up a load and donate 100 rounds of gas for this bugger too! Look em up. Jered Nagel is a squared away dude!

Last, the new PTG M70 DBM setup. David and I worked on this together almost a year ago.

DSC_0041.jpg

We'll have this wrapped up in a couple hours. Soon as we do and its together I'll post a finished photo. Enjoy and best of luck to all the competitors.

I've been to two of these, this will be my third. One of the coolest parts is checking out the prize table. Not because of the "ooh ooh look what you can win" factor but just admiring the craftsmanship that goes into it all. The rifles make you drool, companies send cool gadgets and electronics, glass, mounts, name it.

It's fun just to see some of the Hide smiths trying to one up each other and we get to bask in all the awesome sauce as competitors!

That may just be the first pick off the table for a second year in a row, its gorgeous

Final assembly:

Hope you all like it. We sure do! Thank you Sniper's Hide for a great 2013 and hopefully an even better 2014!

Chad, Kalli, Lynn, Don, Tym, and Hesco.

Excellent job Chad and gang! I really love the PERFECT fit of the tang, ejection port and the tight bolt handle recess on the stock. Can't get any better ;-) Not sure how many appreciate it but I sure do! Next year you need to step it up a notch and get Lynn to 2 tone the bbl engraving. JK it looks great.

An aside, who /what are you shooting with that rock salt? ;-)

Got to fondle that rifle in person and spend some time with the builder Mr. Dixon. It was an amazing piece of artwork built by an exceptional guy. Bryan is very lucky to have been able to take that beauty home.

Got to fondle that rifle in person and spend some time with the builder Mr. Dixon. It was an amazing piece of artwork built by an exceptional guy. Bryan is very lucky to have been able to take that beauty home.

I think the word "artwork" was an understatement. My first hand fondling of that rifle gave me a sense of a "masterpiece". I also have a chance to Meet Mr. Dixon. He is a SUPER stand up guy and an amazing rifle builder. If you want to get done right, go to Chad Dixon. He is a great employer, bringing his family and employees on a free trip to the Cup. Amazing, simply amazing.