• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sniper’s Hide Cup 2014 SHC Lessons Learned - RO Perspective

Luke

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 29, 2002
    Colorado
    As an RO I had the opportunity to watch every shooter run through my stage, and I took some general observation notes:

• Have a plan before you step up to the line - many shooters didn't think through the entire stage and were slow adapting to the movement, different positions, etc.
    • Max load your magazine no matter how many shots you think you need - had people load the minimum of 9 rounds only to have misfires and need to reload mid-stage
    • Don't bring extra junk to the line - People were carrying rear bags, backpacks, shooting sticks etc. from position to position and didn't even use the stuff they brought. Waste of time.
    • Memorize your come-ups before you start shooting - had people trying to find their dope on a big dope card during shooting. Could have easily marked the three different come-ups on the back of their hand, side of the rifle stock, etc.
    • At least 1/3 of the shooters would try to close their bolt at the beginning of the stage and have the magazine & rounds hang up and prevent the bolt from closing without some fiddling. Every time it happened it was with a Rem 700 action and Accuracy International 10rd mags. The bottom metal must not hold the magazine very well and the front of the mag drops down and causes the rounds to catch on the front of the magazine well. Had zero feeding problems from Remington BDL's, Sako TRG's, Savage's, Accuracy International's, etc.
    • Don't forget what the status of your rifle is. People would open the action prior to moving, and forget to close it when they set up again. The rifle won't fire without the bolt closed, if it's on safe, or if you closed the bolt on an already fired cartridge....
    • Know your wind/elevation hold-overs. People burned a lot of time messing with knobs when a simple hold-off would have sufficed.
    • Don't compromise marksmanship fundamentals in favor of time - I saw some funky unnatural shooting positions because people were in a hurry, and didn't take a couple extra seconds to get set up solidly.
    • Know the course of fire before you shoot! Many people put two rounds into each target even though it was a 1 shot per target stage. Most other stages were 2 shots each.
    • Always press check when loading. Lots of misfires because of bolt over-ride when initially loading the rifle, or on semi-autos the bolt not seating fully.
    • Don't tell the RO you're ready until you are..."Shooter ready.....oh wait, I can't get my bolt to close....."
    • Inexpensive factory Savage rifles shot as well as custom high end rifles...
    • Know where your ammo is and be able to reload quickly - I can reload an internal box magazine with rounds off a stock pack way faster than the guy with a DBM that has his mags buttoned up somewhere out of reach, and can't even get the mag to seat properly because he's unaccustomed to reloading on the fly.
    • Use your sling for support! I had ONE guy use a sling for extra support the entire match.
    • Wait to see your bullet impact before reloading/adjusting knobs - people in a hurry didn't take time to spot their misses and kept making the same incorrect wind holds shot after shot.
    • Harris bipods are way faster and easier to adjust on the fly than Atlas bipods. Atlas bipods are great for static slow fire, but on the move they are really slow and clumsy.
    • One turn elevation knobs and zero-stops are essential! People trying to count turns on their elevation adjustments under stress is not pretty.
    • Use a suppressor on long range guns. Don't even need to elaborate on that one.
    • Check your parallax and set it for the targets you're engaging. Too few people took the time to make sure their parallax settings were in order.
    • Stay calm and don't get flustered. People would get out of breath and miss shots because they weren't calm and collected.
    • Use supports & barricades to your advantage. We had large straw bale supports and most people would rest just the bipod on them instead of throwing the entire rifle across them and leaning on them for support.
    • Just about every shooter broke their position to dial their knobs between shots and check dope cards. Get set up and keep your face on the stock.
    • I don't think I saw one shooter use a spotting scope to check downrange wind during the 30min prep time. Most used Kestrels for wind measurements at the firing line but that's it.
    • Be careful of bullets stuck in the barrel. Had 2 shooter have their reloaded ammo seat too far into the lands and pull the bullet out when they unloaded. Bad stuff happens if you don't catch that...
    • Be sure to check your density altitude before firing. The shooters that did were usually spot on with their elevation adjustments.
    • Calculate the percentage of wind hold value at different ranges. Wind averaged 10-15mph - guys were usually holding about 1 mil for wind at 580yds but it turned into about 2 mils at 940. Wind holds aren't linear.

That is a great list of cautions and tips, Luke! Of course, that is simply my fairly inexperienced opinion, but it seems to me that all but maybe the most seasoned competitive shooter can take at least one thing, if not many, away from that list.

If any other RO's have similar observations, I'd like to see them.

Great write up Luke!!! I remember you were on the Charlie 4 stage, correct? I loved that stage. You have a TON of great points and I read all of them. I really appreciate the feedback.

I only used my Atlas bipod on this stage once, at the prone position. Then the legs got put away and I used those hail bails to full advantage.

I cannot say enough good things about the AB Kestrel. It was give me my wind hold overs in ranges, like .6 - 1.0 mills at one distance, then 1.5 - 2.5 at long range distance, and every step in between. I would shoot at the middle of the range at the first 400 meter target (I think that was the first target distance) and then if that hit, I would stay in the middle of my milliradian ranges throughout. I also was very careful to watch the other shooters and then watch the misses for wind estimation. One can easily watch the dust move relative side to side and make a wind call based on that, something we do regularly at our Long Range Varmint matches here in Reno, NV. On the day that I shot, I had the wind between 10 and 12 mph.

Thank you Luke for your input, your volunteering to be an RO, and everything else. I appreciate your assistance so much!!!!

I was working C1 - the scrambler stage with hay bales

tahoerider-albums-sniper-s-hide-cup-2014-picture39093-img-0164-medium.JPG

(Stole this pic from the other thread)

Last edited:
    Yes, I had the correct stage in mind, just the order reversed. I shot C4 first, then progressed to C1. I loved C1. Thank you again Luke for your assistance on that stage. You ran that one very well.

Last edited:
    If any other RO's have similar observations, I'd like to see them.

Know how you intend to sling your rifle and transition to handgun. I watched a bunch of people spend ~10+ awkward seconds trying to sling their rifle only to draw their pistol and realize the rifle was in their way. Some shooters burned time adjusting the rifle, others shot the handgun from an awkward stance.

Luke,
    Thanks for all your help on our night lane. It would have been 10x the gaggle had you not been there to keep it all straight. Im sure you would have rather been getting some sleep, so I really appreciate you staying out late and helping. Couldn't have done it without you.

One thing I noticed on whatever lane I RO'ed was that a lot of people chatted instead of watching the other shooters, thus made the same mistakes.
    One thing on that lane was a 15+ MPH wind. From the prep area where people were getting wind readings it seemed like it was coming from the 8 O'clock. Once you moved to the FFP it was almost dead 6. A lot of people over corrected for wind on that stage. Most shooters that got consistent hits said they held the edge of the plate. When I shot the lane, I really wanted to hold more for wind from what I was feeling on my back, but didn't need to because of direction.

Alpha 1 RO reporting in. Thank you all for the great weekend. Because this was my first SHC, I just tried not to screw up to badly. I have nothing to add for the shooter, but everything to take away.

I have 11 months to buy, build, carve a rifle to compete with next year.......... see you all there!

Brett

• Don't bring extra junk to the line - People were carrying rear bags, backpacks, shooting sticks etc. from position to position and didn't even use the stuff they brought. Waste of time.

In a lot of matches, including last years Cup, participants needed to have all equipment with them at all times. This year's Cup was much more relaxed in this regard

Alpha 1 RO reporting in. Thank you all for the great weekend. Because this was my first SHC, I just tried not to screw up to badly. I have nothing to add for the shooter, but everything to take away.

I have 11 months to buy, build, carve a rifle to compete with next year.......... see you all there!

Brett

Brett,

Thank you for volunteering your time for that stage. As I remember it, you did a great job RO'ing, so no worries. See you next year!!

Neil

I noticed that when guys started letting loose and start having fun they shot better. I ran A4 and it was fun to see guys so focused on the targets that they almost lost the fact that they were shooting at cars! I understand that the event is a competition but its also a fun event. When a guy missed a shot and destroyed a part of the car like a rear light or rearview mirror he got just as many high fives as the guy the cleaned all the targets. So my take is that make sure you’re having fun, don’t take yourself so serious. Also if given the chance to fuck up a car you should do so cause you never know when you will be able to do it again. There is one German running around that was able to take some great stories back home with him. I enjoyed watching all of you and you all made it a fun event.

Nice post Luke! If I didn't know better I would have figured you followed me around the match for 3 days taking those notes on what not to do. LOL

Q,

RO from B1 here. I am all new to this. But I do remember only one guy ever press checked his rifle. I only had one complaint. A guy who kept trying to talk to me while I was trying to keep score. I would loose track of what target they were shooting. But all in all, 99% of the shooters seemed to me that they knew what they were doing.