• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2014 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE - Announcement

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
logo.png
tbaclogo.png

COMPETITION DYNAMICS and THUNDER BEAST ARMS CORPORATION present The
<span style="font-weight: bold">2014 THUNDER BEAST TEAM CHALLENGE</span>
<span style="font-style: italic">OCT 17-19, 2014 at the Blue Steel Ranch (Logan, NM)</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This match is an extreme test of practical field rifle shooting and its supporting activities. Two-man teams will be required to navigate rugged desert terrain, recognize, locate, range, and engage challenging rifle targets from compromised shooting positions, communicate with their partner and the range officer (RO), and do it under time constraints. This match consists of three hour-long field stages, two night stages, and mid-range carbine courses and pistol courses.</span>

NEW FOR 2014:

Pistol will be required.

Instead of having 6 close-range assault stages, we are going to replace some of those with mid-range carbine courses of fire held out in the terrain. Those of you who have shot the old Pueblo Rifle (carbine) Match or remember the Point Blank LEO 3-Gun @ Pueblo might get the idea. We are also adding pistol. I promise to make the night stages a little bit easier.

I would like to get some feedback from competitors and people who are interested for 2014. Which of these combinations would you prefer and why?

(1) keep rifle, both carbines, and add 2 pistols
(2) keep rifle, both carbines, and add only 1 pistol (who gets it, rifle or carbine guy)
(3) keep rifle, only one carbine, and 2 pistols
(4) some other combination- explain

We like #1 but worry that it's too many guns to travel with for people who fly in.

We are revamping the C-D web site for 2014 and it's not quite ready yet, but it will be up soon.

Registration for this one won't open until after mid Feb.

Last edited:
I think #1 is the best option, in all reality both #2 and #3 only reduce the total number of guns by one, but option #1 opens up more options for courses. Looking forward to attending this year.

Exciting to see the pistol added to the mix! We've flown out the past two years for the TB Team Challenge. Adding a pistol to either member's hard case shouldn't be an issue. We've shipped our ammo so adding pistol ammo to the box won't be an issue either. All that to say option 1 would be my vote.

Where would the mid range stages be held? Is there enough distance down in the fingers to shoot multiple stages with flash targets or the like? The new format really sounds fun!

Thanks for all the hard work in producing Competition Dynamics matches, especially the Thunderbeast Team Challenge! Top notch, professional operation!

We're thinking off the rim, kind of near some of the walking routes for the field stages. Plenty of places to throw targets out there and get good-range engagements.

Ah, that would be a great place to have them! What a great venue for an event like this!

#3 gives equal duties unless you have both teammates shoot at the precision targets.

Decision has likely been made but I like #1. Really looking forward to this match...it'll be my first, baptism by fire no doubt!

I've shot the match before would like to shoot it again with someone I shoot with on a regular basis but my rifle partner called it quits due to personal issues and the only other guy I shoot with that has a suitable bolt gun is not in the physical condition to shoot this match.

So the question is... Is there an option to shoot the match as a dual carbine match. Both shooting 223 in a setup suitable for maxing out the round? Clearly it's a big handicap but figured I'd ask. If not we'll be at the next Rocky mountain Steel Quest.

Anyone know of any dual carbine team matches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys,
Me and my partner just got signed up for his match (thanks Zak). We have never shot a match of this style before (we are PRS Shooters). We have a few questions that I was hoping some of y'all might help us with.

1.) what caliber rifle are the carbine guys typically using? I've watched alot of the YouTube videos, but I'm unable to tell. Seems like a 6mm gas gun would be best, but what are y'all using?

2.) can both shooters have a dedicated AR in .223 for the close assault stages, or does the carbine shooter have to use the same rifle he shoots the longer distance courses with?

3.) any gear that we might need that might not be considered "normal" to us? Tripods? Hog saddles? Sticks?

4.) is water provided on/during the course or do you need to carry all your water on you?

1. 95% of the carbine shooters use .223/5.56

2. The Carbine Shooter can only use one carbine. Note that "close assault stages" have been replaced by mid-range carbine courses and pistol assault courses in 2014.

3. Bring whatever you want, provided it isn't prohibited by the rules and you are willing to carry it the whole time. Most people bring a set of shooting sticks at least.

4. All you.

I have not shot the "Team" match, but if it is anything like the other CD matches, bring tripod/sticks and practice a bunch! Also good LRF/Binos are an absolute must. Practice carrying all your gear and setting up for stations on a timer. I used an egg-timer to train on the clock. You would be shocked at how much time you can waste just getting your gear out of your backpack. I timed-out a lot at my first CD match, but managed the clock and the stations much better the second time around. Finding and ranging targets was also tough, but again you will get better as the match goes on. Stage management is important too, sometime you should pick-your-battles. Better to get some points than to struggle and get none.

Zak and family run a great match, very fun, professional and efficient.

Good luck!

Have all of the rifle assault stages been replaced with mid range courses? What are we looking at distance wise for the mid range courses?

Thanks

Check out the match overview section, bullet points #c-#e.
https://competition-dynamics.com/thunder-beast-team-challenge-2014/

The mid-range carbine assault courses are for both carbines and will use 3-Gun style scoring (same as old close-range carbine assault courses, and the pistol stages); that is, time plus penalties, normalized to a stage-points score.

Been emailing with Zak about this. I found a partner and got on the wait list. This will be my first time doing a match like this so I'm looking forward to it. I hope they find room.

You can't share a carbine.

Is an illuminated reticle going to be a "must have"? The night fire courses do not require night vision so I'm assuming there will be some type of artificial light?? Is a guy going to be really hindered without an illuminated reticle?

Is an illuminated reticle going to be a "must have"? The night fire courses do not require night vision so I'm assuming there will be some type of artificial light?? Is a guy going to be really hindered without an illuminated reticle?

From what I've been able to gather, you'll really want an illuminated reticle, this is my first year at this match though but by talking to others whom have shot it before, it's definitely a good idea.