• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 2018 arizona javelina

Apothus

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2007
Prescott, Arizona
Yesterday was the opener of javelina season. I was originally scheduled off to hunt, but my boss' wife had to have short term notice heart surgery so I couldn't hunt. Worked out pretty good cuz it snowed yesterday from 1pm to 7pm, which is pretty rare for this area.

Take off this morning at 6am to drive to the unit. It's 7 degrees and there's snow on the ground. This is going to be tough. Drive up and down roads and there's vehicles everywhere. 200 tags for the unit and they all seem to be where we were looking too. Finally find a road with no true tracks but does have pig tracks. Hike up to a small ridge and glass, nothing.

We are driving back toward home to check an area that we wanted to wait until it warmed up. Drive up the mountain, hike to a rock outcropping that overlooked a ravine and glassed for an hour and a half. We heard a couple pigs snap at each other but couldn't see them. The wind picked up and was getting late so I called with rabbit in distress to see if they'd come running like they show on YouTube. No luck.

We hike over a small hill to glass the other side of the canyon and my buddy spots 2 coming up the hill slightly towards us and left to right. I get set up and could see one small pig but nothing else. I contemplated shooting the smaller one when the thing I thought was a rock moved. After movement I could see the shoulder of a good size pig, and squeezed off a 140 grain accubond from my 6.5 Creedmoor at 204 yards. I lost site of it but heard the bullet connect and my buddy said she dropped in her tracks

Attachments

• 20180224_161221.jpg
    20180224_161221.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 53
Nice javelina , haven’t seen or killed one of these since I lived in south Texas and that’s been a long time.