• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2018 CMP Eastern Games - Vintage Sniper Match (VSM) - pics from match.

Random Guy

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2012
For anyone interested, I got back yesterday from participating at the CMP Eastern Games, Vintage Sniper Match (VSM), held at Camp Butner, NC, and decided to post some pics. Weather was nice and the event went well. The new electronic targeting system provides instant feedback to the shooters and "pulling targets" is no longer necessary - I really like this new system(!) Most of the competitors used a 1903A1 w/ 8x scope, although I did see several 1903A4 rifles w/ 2.5x scopes and a couple of teams shot their M1D Garands, and one Swedish M41B was also used:

Here's a misc picture from the morning sight-in at 300 yards (Yesterday's total was 58-two man/woman teams, so 116 total shooters):
UwDgnIU.jpg

600 yard line sight-in with my shooting partner and I and our trusty 1903A1s. You can see the electronic targeting system screen b/t the two positions:
Eee68Mu.jpg

Here's the 600 yd line during the target change from 300 to 600 yards. Clear sky, no wind, and about 80 degrees. Perfect conditions.
F1Noi9y.jpg

Two of my shooting buddies won 1st place with a truly excellent 396-23x (they only dropped only 4 points combined for 300 and 600 yards - awesome performance).
qDtzv2k.jpg

I dropped one point at 300 yards, but to my chagrin I dropped several points 600 yards (I didn't build up my position high enough and subsequently I had two hits in the 8 ring and a few hit the 9 ring). However - my shooting partner shot well enough that we were able to squeeze in the 3rd place gold medal (top 3 team scores get a gold medal). We shot a combined 386-10X, and thus we each got to take a wood plaque home to hang in the man cave.
0uZlgIB.jpg

I also took a brief video of the 600 yard sight-in period that illustrates how fast the electronic target scoring system works - its real time.

...Anyhow, it was good times and I highly recommended this match for anyone who can make to NC in early May for this event and has an allowable pre-1953 vintage sniper rifle to compete with. The new electronic target scoring system also makes this event run very efficiently.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, I got back yesterday from participating at the CMP Eastern Games, Vintage Sniper Match (VSM), held at Camp Butner, NC, and decided to post some pics. Weather was nice and the event went well. The new electronic targeting system provides instant feedback to the shooters and "pulling targets" is no longer necessary - I really like this new system(!) Most of the competitors used a 1903A1 w/ 8x scope, although I did see several 1903A4 rifles w/ 2.5x scopes and a couple of teams shot their M1D Garands, and one Swedish M41B was also used:

Here's a misc picture from the morning sight-in at 300 yards (Yesterday's total was 58-two man/woman teams, so 116 total shooters):
UwDgnIU.jpg

600 yard line sight-in with my shooting partner and I and our trusty 1903A1s. You can see the electronic targeting system screen b/t the two positions:
Eee68Mu.jpg

Here's the 600 yd line during the target change from 300 to 600 yards. Clear sky, no wind, and about 80 degrees. Perfect conditions.
F1Noi9y.jpg

Two of my shooting buddies won 1st place with a truly excellent 396-23x (they only dropped only 4 points combined for 300 and 600 yards - awesome performance).
qDtzv2k.jpg

I dropped one point at 300 yards, but to my chagrin I dropped several points 600 yards (I didn't build up my position high enough and subsequently I had two hits in the 8 ring and a few hit the 9 ring). However - my shooting partner shot well enough that we were able to squeeze in the 3rd place gold medal (top 3 team scores get a gold medal). We shot a combined 386-10X, and thus we each got to take a wood plaque home to hang in the man cave.
0uZlgIB.jpg

I also took a brief video of the 600 yard sight-in period that illustrates how fast the electronic target scoring system works - its real time.

...Anyhow, it was good times and I highly recommended this match for anyone who can make to NC in early May for this event and has an allowable pre-1953 vintage sniper rifle to compete with. The new electronic target scoring system also makes this event run very efficiently.

Very cool!

I’d love to see something more akin to the Snipers Hide Cup for vintage matches... The 8x scope of the 1941a1 really gives those shooters a marked advantage over anyone else. Considering the relative fragility of the mounting system the 1941a1 was known for, I think you’d see a lot of shooters move to something more robust if they had to hump and bump the rifle all over the place instead of shooting from a comfortable static range.

I keep hearing how the cmp vintage matches have become nothing more than a 1903 get together, something needs to be done or this will die out quickly, my own opinion....

I keep hearing how the cmp vintage matches have become nothing more than a 1903 get together, something needs to be done or this will die out quickly, my own opinion....

Makes sense as that is the only rifle that allows the use of a target scope and your shooting at static targets at a known range. The only way your going to change it is by ditching the Highpower format and going with a PRS style match that levels the playing field. After all most of those rifles were battle rifles simply fitted with some form of optic to provide a slight sighting advantage over irons. A match shooting full sized silhouette targets with a emphasis on speed over precision would level the playing field a bit and provide a more balanced showing at the match.

Thats pretty much the case. But there is a reason. People shoot what wins, and that is the M1903s.

Perhaps as the sport grows (which is happening) there will be enough competitors that the can split into catagories much like the GSM Games. They are split between Garand, Springfields and Military (all other). If you look at the scores, there too the M1903s dominate. But that doesnt create a problem a Springfield shooters only compete against other Springfield shooters.

The Garand's are second only to the Springfields, but again they have their own category.

The problem described in the Vintage Sniper Matches persist in the Modern Military also. These are post 1954 rifles such as the ARs AKs, SKS, M14(M1s,) etc. To compete with any chance of placing you pretty much are limited to the ARs. Perhaps the Modern Military should have sub categories also.

But this is just rambling on my part. I'm just an old has-been that happens to like vintage military rifles. I shoot for ME. An example, I refuse to go to the M1903A1s. I'm Army not a Marine so I shoot my "A4, and we all know its hard for a 2.5X scope to compete with 8X glass. But thats my choice. If I cared, I would move up.

But I'm content with what I have, picking up a few badges. Heck I even luck out and pick up a Grand Senior Award once and again.

carbine.jpg

Reactions: D_TROS and Vargmat
I'd think the K31/43 and M41b could hold their own, along with some of the K98 sniper variants. Maybe there just aint many out there.

I'd think the K31/43 and M41b could hold their own, along with some of the K98 sniper variants. Maybe there just aint many out there.

It isn’t that... 90% of the rifles at CMP Vintage Sniper matches have 2.5-3.5x scope. The 10% that don’t are the 1941a1’s topped with 8x scopes. At 300 meters the lower powered scopes can compete against the 1941a1. At 600 meters the 8x scope will almost always win. It’s really a bullshit competition anymore and is heavily biased towards the Springfield rifles in general and the 1941a1 specifically.

People have been calling for years to separate the low power scoped rifles and the 1941a1 into separate categories but the CMP refuses. Probably because you’d find the 1903a4 wouldn’t come out on top every time.