• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018)

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
2018 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 23, 2018):

As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products, so typically no info on other products. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts – I add them to my News page when I get home. "NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates. [Please check recent weekly updates if you think I missed something that you felt was new "at SHOT". And, since I am certainly fallible, please e-mail me to let me know that I actually did miss something new and ELR-related - my call on whether to conclude as ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at [email protected].] So here goes, in alpha order.

NN - We'll start out with NN/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - Accuracy International, Ashbury Precision Operations/APO, B&T AG, Capstone (Lapua and VihtaVuori, excluding Berger), Christensen Arms, Cutting Edge Bullets, Desert Tech, Fort Scott Munitions (and X-Treme Bullets), GA Precision, Kahles, Kelbly, Krieger, Leica Sport Optics, Lilja, March Optics, MPA, Newcon Optik, Nightforce, Pacific Tool & Gauge, Safety Harbor, SIG Electro-Optics, Stiller, Strategic Armory Corps/SAC (all brands - ArmaLite, AWC, McMillan Firearms, Nexus, and Surgeon), Swarovski, US Optics, Vortex, and XLR.

1. American Rifle Company/ARC - the recently introduced Nucleus long action will undergo very high press testing in .338 LM this quarter, that noted, appears, for other reasons, it will never see the light of day, at least in the current Nucleus configuration (ask Ted); for those that have been hoping for a single-shot version of the Mausingfield, its probably time to move on, super low interest in spending time on that project.

2. Barrett - NN but I was able to find out that the new .416 Barrett super ammo uses CCI primers (IMO, a missed opportunity to go with RWS, since the case is produced by Raug).

3. Berger - the Applied Ballistics Munitions/ABM branded ammo is gone, same ammo, now in yellow-box Berger packaging, is currently being phased in.

4. Bighorn - the 2017 SHOT Show, ".338 LM-capable, command-to-design" action has morphed into the 2018 concept of a multi-caliber action, .338 LM and CheyTac-capable. Possibly available in both repeater and single-shot, we'll wait and see if this actually sees the light of its commercially-available day.

5. Bullet Central - was showing a prototype of a Bix 'n Andy trigger for Barnard actions (pics to follow; amazingly, this model was developed in response to requests from down-under shooters); expected to be available in April at an MSRP of $450.

6. Cadex - technically NN but I missed the new CT bottom metal/DBM and mags (pages 56-57, 2018 catalog) in my recent News Update; also, those hoping for single-shot action offerings in their recently-announced, stand-alone-available actions line...sorry, not happening.

7. Defiance Machine - a CheyTac-capable action is again back in the thought process (last prototyped in 2012).

8. Gunwerks - added three new stocks, which, come Summer, will be available stand alone (ClymR, Magnus (Gen II), and Verdict).

9. Manners Customs Stock/MCS - an "LTR+" model will be shipping by early May (5" longer forearm and the barrel and action areas will be molded in as part of the processing, rather than being added in; cosmetics (optional glossy and metallic finishes across the board for their carbon fiber stocks).

10. McMillan Fiberglass Stocks - was showing (under the table but already taking order for) the "Beast 2" (pics to follow), with a substantially reconfigured buttstock, raising the shooter's head much higher up (so much so that the current iteration requires that the barreled action be removed to clean the barrel).

11. Noreen Firearms - was showing the "#2 Noreen", a new iteration of an older Peter Norren action design; patterned after (a reproduction of) the pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action, they expect to build 10-20 units this year, in four lengths (the longest supporting up to the .460 Weatherby, max .590 bolt face) at a price of $10K each, including bottom metal, magazine box, and customer's choice of trigger. There are no castings in this design.

12. Peterson Brass - .338 Norma Magnum is in development; expected to be available in 3-4 months.

13. Ritter & Stark - will be adding (this Summer) the .338 NM as another cartridge option for their SX-1 MTR rifle.

14. Serbu - Hot news! Coming your way in the fairly near future, the "Serbu .338 LM RN-50" - the RN-50 (modified break action) "rifle" in .338 LM. In fact, they are also getting close to a quick-change/multi-caliber RN-50. The .338 LM RN-50's MSPR is $1050, SHOT Show special (thru the end of Feb) is $850. Note, the .338 LM RN-50 does NOT include a muzzle brake - depending on which buttstock you use (e.g., the Safety Harbor SHF Steel or Mono) you may not need one...and they have yet to finalize the muzzle thread. The RN-50 is also on show special for $950 (.50 BMG and .50 DTC). Actually, all their rifles and shotguns are on show special (call).

15. Vigilance Rifles - after introducing the "Windrunner M18" rifle very recently, it was great to see the prototype in the THOR Global Defense booth; beyond that prior write-up, I can say that the workmanship looks excellent; also, seems a Huber trigger may become a (substantial) added-cost option.

16. Warner Tool Company/WTC - was in MPA's booth showing a 400 gr, .375 Flatline bullet (looks great); also an example of their "micrometer-adjustable, wildcat, seating die" - which integrates with their sizing die (pic here - https://warner-tool.com/collections/reloading-dies).

Last edited:
Any word on the availability of the multical capable version of the AX50?

I was waiting to see if you were attending this year, very informative, thanks for posting for those of us who can’t be there.

Spent some time at the AI booth and they are still making sure every thing is perfect on the new AX 50. I also asked about .375CT/ 408CT bolt. He said they heard customers loud and clear they will have .375/408 option. He said later in the year but it will happen. This is just my personal take from the conversation we had. It is most likely we won't see anything until 4 quarter of this year at the earliest. Like S&B and SIG it take a long time to get something prototype to the sales floor .Trust me if they has one ready go the order would be placed today!!

GIX - I'll go with your take, I rarely get the same response if I ask more than one rep - seems no "official" message. But why put a CT chambering in that very heavy AX 50 structure? Just my take.

From what he said it goes with the thought that you can run .308 or any Creedmoor on the long AXMC action so with that in mind you have the AX 50 that can run any smaller cartridge on the same chassis. The feeling I got in talking to them they aren't to interested in make a separate system because of the R&D and manufacturing cost if it were two chassis. If they did do a second smaller chassis like the short action AXMC then the R&D time would be well over a year. Case in point, the AX 50 was shown last year at Shot and yet still none are for sale.