• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

2019 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019)

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
2019 SHOT Show (ELR-Specific): Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 22, 2019):

As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products (and products that span the topic but are not ELR-specific per se - like reloading gear), so, typically, no info on other products. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts – I will add them to my News page when I get home (tentatively they will be added on Saturday, Jan 26, late PM).

"NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing new or nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates - search my News page using your browser's on-page "find" feature, much better than my site's search feature (News is at https://www.elr-resources.com/page16.html). [If you think I missed something that you feel is ELR-related and new "at SHOT", please e-mail me to let me know what you think I missed. Please be VERY specific - my call on whether ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. BTW, I only consider 338 LM and higher-performing chamberings/products as ELR. Finally, seems the trend to pre-announce products was in full view this year with several majors putting out press releases weeks, even months, ahead of SHOT. Also a lot of "new (since last) SHOT" pronouncements rather than new in or around that actual show dates.]

So here goes, in alpha order (after NN).

1. NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) - Accu-Mag, Alliant, Barrett, Bullet Central, Cadex, Cutting Edge Bullets/CEB, Defiance Machine, Elfmann Tactical, H&P Manufacturing (their very impressive 338 LM-class, 3D-printed, suppressor is ready for mass production, direct end-user price: $1500), Desert Tech, Federal Premium, Fort Scott Munitions, Geissele, GRS Riflestocks, Hodgdon, Kahles, KRG, LabRadar, Magpul, Masterpiece Arms, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks (but I will provide pics of Paul Phillips 6000 yard rifle - was in their booth - pics include specs on that rifle, missing was that the CEB bullets used were Lazers), Oehler Research (the model 89 should be shipping in the next 90 days), Pacific Tool and Gauge/PTG, Patroit Valley Arms/PVA, RCBS, Ruger, Safety Harbor, Savage, Sierra Bullets, SIG Sauer (confirmed that the BDX3000 BLRF's laser wave length is 905 nm), Sniper Extreme (the designated booth was MIA), Steel Core, Steiner, Stiller, Strategic Armory Corps (Armalite, Surgeon), Swarovski, Warner Tool Company/WTC, XLR.

2. Accuracy International - was showing their AXSR multi-caliber rifle, to be available in Q3 in .338 LM and 338 NM. There will be a limited run of the associated kits mid-year. Features include AR-style pistol grip, ambi 2-stage safety, T-slots in place of the sample's M-Lok, unique mags to accommodate the various cartridge lengths (rather than inserts and standard mags), and throw levers rather than knobs for the buttstock adjustments. Pics coming. The timing of the new multi-caliber AX50 is still TBD.

3. American Rifle Company/ARC - was showing their new Archimedes action (a scaled-up ELR version is coming in early 2020 with 338 LM and CT bolt face options). Has a very unique primary case extraction mechanism - the normal rotation of the bolt, on raising the bolt handle, only clears the bolt lugs from the recesses in the front of the action, the case extraction is done using a front-to-rear PIVOTING of the bolt handle - visually almost like working a toggle switch. The result is that the case rim is now the actioned party in removing the case from the chamber. They were showing the Archimedes action in their Xylo (pron. c-low) chassis. Rifles are on the horizon - in ELR chamberings is TBD. Pics coming.

4. Applied Ballistics Weapons Division/ABWD - I asked them about the 338 and 375 EnABELR casings they have been working on with Peterson Brass. As suspected these are more than casings, there are cartridges and there will be ammo. Rather than me possibly messing up the info translation, see https://appliedballisticsweaponsdivi...lr-cartridges/ Bryan said the reamer drawing will to released into the public domain very soon. Manson will be doing the reamers; brass availability TBD as to whether they will come from Peterson or ABWD. I also asked Bryan about the ELR Expo shown on the ELRC website for many months. He advised that they had been unable to put together a stand-alone expo (insufficient "industry" interest/support) but that they may piggy-back onto a PRS event (this year) that has ELR segments.

5. Bushnell - was showing a new spotting scope, the LMSS 2, an 8-40x60 model with an MSRP of $1499 - available "later this year". They were also showing a new Forge scope model, the 3-24x56 with 34mm tube. No specs or pics of either.

6. Kestrel - two new items, press release and details here, https://kestrelinstruments.com/kestr...nters-shooters

7. Manners Composite Stocks - Tom Manners advised they are working on their ELR 2.0 stock, currently in fixturing. It will have a 5" longer forearm but will still be the same weight as their current ELR stock - thanks to removal of the side bulges in the forearm and removal and simplification of parts of the adjustable buttstock (to have fixed LoP - order the length you need), more of an F-class appearance. Expected to be available starting in April (not on display).

8. March - was showing a compact version of the Genesis scope, 4-40x52 with 300 MOA elevation (250 up, 50 down) with FMA-MT ELR reticle. They were also showing the March-FX, wide-angle (large eye box), High Master FFP scope, the 5-42x56 HM with 140 MOA elevation. The new Genesis also has the wide-angle feature. No pics - data sheets too dark to reproduce.

9. Peterson Brass - as previously reported, they are adding a loaded ammo line. 338 LM and 338 MN offerings expected within a couple months. "Wild Tubes" (straight-wall, "basic" brass casings) in .338 LM and CT rim dimensions expected within 3-4 months.

10. RCC Brass - I questioned them about their CNC-produced casings. They are available in ODs up to 13 (thirteen) inches, to customer spec - with the same 6-8 week lead time as their very wide range of the casings that they currently produce. They claim consistent case capacity down to .001 cm3 (they do not measure using H2O) and neck wall thickness held to 2 tenths (.0002). Their engineer made it clear that the customer needs to be VERY specific as to what tolerances they require and they will produce casings accordingly. As you might expect, not cheap.

11. Proof Research - was showing a new version of their TAC line rifle, the "TAC III". To be available in up to 338 LM using Defiance actions and their own chassis. "Months off" on the chassis, thus the rifles.

12. Schmidt & Bender - no new scopes, just more features, including a Multi-Turn III elevation turret and the GR2ID reticle. Unclear to me that that reticle is actually new since the brochure has (I believe) been on their website for a while - see https://www.schmidtundbender.de/phoc...Seiter_WEB.pdf

13. Serbu - I was told that a quick-change barrel option is coming to the RL-50; also that the RL-50 has a new, cleaned-up, aluminum lower coming - to consolidate bits and pieces in the current design into one machined unit.

14. U.S. Arms - a new player in the muzzle brake world. They were displaying a .50 cal version that they claim provides more recoil reduction than the (IMO) industry-leading AR-50 brake. Shipping now as custom orders, pics to follow. [I was shown a cell phone pic of their proprietary interior design - "turbine-looking" (their words), sort of.] Pics coming. Possibly more details.

15. US Optics - was showing their new model SK scope, 5-30x56, 34mm tube, Horus and their JDRC plus standard mil/mil reticles; moved the parallax adjustment into the windage knob. Pics coming.

Last edited:
Actually, seemed more ELR recognition and products than any year so far. No one was stumbling over "ELR".
Yeah I guess my comment was more general than ELR. I just wasn’t wowed by anything. There are things I’ve liked for sure, just nothing felt revolutionary.

Yeah I guess my comment was more general than ELR. I just wasn’t wowed by anything. There are things I’ve liked for sure, just nothing felt revolutionary.
I found lots of cool stuff you just have to take the time to look every year new stuff is out and I find it. it again was a great show and 2019 is going to be an amazing year for elr advancements development and research

thanks Oscar for all your hard work . lots of guys don't get to go to the show so its nice that someone forwards the information that others don't get to see. My feet still hurt . I did notice that lost of normal companies were not there . what amazed me the most is I was expecting to see a major reduction in black gun companies sence the market is falling apart on the ar-15 stuff but again more new ones around every corner I just don't understand that ????

I should point out an inaccuracy here. Oscar was going to come back to our booth for more details, but we never got back together. A New introduction at Shot was our 285gr 338 bullet. No other 338 bullet on the market has ballistics anywhere close to it. We also unveiled our 505gr 416 and 489gr 408 bullets.
20190122_111929.jpg

BA Gunworks - the two companies that I definitely noticed, which stopped coming this year (not worth their time and money for the "results) were Kelblys and Krieger. Non-ELR-wise, I noticed that Daniel Defense had an entire section dedicated to their new (first?) bolt gun - AR folks adding bolt guns to expand their appeal. Interesting that "matches" beat them to it by adding gas-gun competitions.

I should point out an inaccuracy here. Oscar was going to come back to our booth for more details, but we never got back together. A New introduction at Shot was our 285gr 338 bullet. No other 338 bullet on the market has ballistics anywhere close to it. We also unveiled our 505gr 416 and 489gr 408 bullets.

Dan - you missed checking my site/News page (and inclusion criteria stated at the start of Day 1 coverage) - all those bullets were listed and a link to PVA's FB page for pics were posted on 1/19.

Dan - you missed checking my site/News page (and inclusion criteria stated at the start of Day 1 coverage) - all those bullets were listed and a link to PVA's FB page for pics were posted on 1/19.
Yah, its been a long week. But it wasn't posted here, hence my announcement.