• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns 2020 COLT PYTHON

salks

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2019
Colt is brining back the python. 4.25" and 6" model. There are already you tube vids and some reviews of people that shot them. They claim the trigger is better than the original and they have beefed up the frame. I'll definitely be wanting the 6".

• Love
Reactions: Bender
I just brought in a king cobra for a guy the other day. I’m not a colt aficionado, but it was nicely built and has a fantastic trigger.

and just when i think i dont need anything new - out comes the python and the hk Sp5 -- both completely unexpected from these mfgs and within 2 weeks of each other. got a nice python ss elite in the safe, will get a 4" and a 6" . Curious how they will compare to a Nighthawk korth

Reactions: The Durk
I'm glad Colt is finding success in the DA revolver world. I don't have any but the Cobras and King Cobras I've fondled sure were nice and their size makes them THE perfect carry revolver.

But Colt needs to seriously innovate in the semi auto pistol space. I hope they can use some of the revenue from wheelgun sales to reinvest in the business.

and just when i think i dont need anything new - out comes the python and the hk Sp5 -- both completely unexpected from these mfgs and within 2 weeks of each other. got a nice python ss elite in the safe, will get a 4" and a 6" . Curious how they will compare to a Nighthawk korth
How did I miss that news?! And since when is CL the go to for HK sales?
D0D8FD1F-1BC6-4C30-BF84-001F76D1BCB3.png

• Haha
Reactions: SD Carpenter
I'm glad Colt is finding success in the DA revolver world. I don't have any but the Cobras and King Cobras I've fondled sure were nice and their size makes them THE perfect carry revolver.

But Colt needs to seriously innovate in the semi auto pistol space. I hope they can use some of the revenue from wheelgun sales to reinvest in the business.
tell colt "stick to what your good at"...dont let them wast money on a new semi that they will screw up

i use SAGE X3 as my manufacturing ERP software..lol

Looks nice. I’d have to make a better looking set of grips though.

Nice, put me in for one. I lost a nice 6" Python 15 years ago in a divorce. I paid $650 for it brand new circa 1995. Now Colt wants $1500? The quality better be there for that kind of money.

Do these have real barrels?

The appearance of the other revolvers seems to indicate they are "jacketed".

Maybe I'm just seeing the target crown on side view and it looks like a sleeved barrel.

Couldn't believe when my 8" used Anaconda w/ no box/papers/etc went for $2k on GB last year. Probably regret it someday.

Do these have real barrels?

The appearance of the other revolvers seems to indicate they are "jacketed".

Maybe I'm just seeing the target crown on side view and it looks like a sleeved barrel.

One piece barrels. YES!

So a few years back, i ran into a guy that had a python he wanted to trade me. Short version is, i made the trade.

I was pretty excited because ever since being a kid, and hearing how fine the pythons were. It was a 6 inch blued gun. Very pretty. But i made the mistake of shooting it side by side with my 586, 4 inch barrel. That s&w beat that python in every way. I still have the 586. I cashed out on the python. From my experience, the smith is twice the gun the python ever was. They sure are pretty, but they fall short where the rubber meets the road.

Who knows....maybe colt did something and the new ones might be something. But i wont be on the bandwagon begging to buy one.

Maybe someday i’ll pony up for a korth to see if they can outdo the smith.

Reactions: Mr.Kirk and Bender
One piece barrels. YES!

The same people who want all these cost inefficient manufacturing methods are the same ones who'll bitch up a storm at the price.

I prefer S&Ws with sleeved barrels. They are much more consistent in both barrel thread torque and front sight alignment.

Reactions: myronman3
How many of you have dry fired (or lived fired) a new Colt DA revolver?

Well one thing for sure they will probably be heavily scrutinized in price and quality. Maybe that's why colt been waiting to make sure they get it right. S&W and Ruger still make really nice revolvers for well under $1500. I know I'll be giving a 6" python a try.

My understanding is all thier "craftsman" retired when they stopped the python production and custom shops. The pythons and like were all hand fitted and now thier could never be the quality of originals if they ever brought them back.

My understanding is all thier "craftsman" retired when they stopped the python production and custom shops. The pythons and like were all hand fitted and now thier could never be the quality of originals if they ever brought them back.

Craftsman at that time were just men that had years of experience working on what was than a boring commodity product.

Im thinking now that a person working at Colt is a person that desires to be in an industry that is now manufacturing products for a more discerning clientele.

They have access to better more precise machines.

The finess to stone a sear will have to be learned just as their predecessors had to learn it.

Word is Colts current production of 1911s is about as good, perhaps better, than even during really good times in the 1920s, early 30s, 50's and 60s commercial production.

It will have to be seen how these end up being finished but there is more to suggest they will be just fine rather than crap.

Last edited:
From what I can tell through most moments in time other than incredible deals python prices stayed around 1100-1300 dollars when adjusting for current inflation.

these will sell for 1300$

pricing is a nonstory money is just worth less.

Personally a 6” blued OG as artwork and a 4.25” stainless new one as a hunting carry sounds like a perfect pair.

So a few years back, i ran into a guy that had a python he wanted to trade me. Short version is, i made the trade.

I was pretty excited because ever since being a kid, and hearing how fine the pythons were. It was a 6 inch blued gun. Very pretty. But i made the mistake of shooting it side by side with my 586, 4 inch barrel. That s&w beat that python in every way. I still have the 586. I cashed out on the python. From my experience, the smith is twice the gun the python ever was. They sure are pretty, but they fall short where the rubber meets the road.

Who knows....maybe colt did something and the new ones might be something. But i wont be on the bandwagon begging to buy one.

Maybe someday i’ll pony up for a korth to see if they can outdo the smith.
I have many of both, but in my experience it takes $500 to a competent smith to make a S&W as smooth as a Python. If you’re super sensitive to a trigger that doesn’t stack you might prefer a Smiff, but even then it’s about comparable to the Colt .357, but still not the Python. My father and I were buying them over the counter for $700 back in the day.

From what I can tell through most moments in time other than incredible deals python prices stayed around 1100-1300 dollars when adjusting for current inflation.

pricing is a nonstory money is just worth less.

Personally a 6” blued OG as artwork and a 4.25” stainless new one as a hunting carry sounds like a perfect pair.

Right after getting out of the service in 1991 friend and I went to the local gun store.

I bought a brand new in the box 1991A1 version 1911. It was basically a GI 1911 with FP safety and an ugly roll mark. They even carried forward from the WWII serial numbers.

I paid $400.

My friend bought a used 6 inch Python that was in the case.

He paid $400.

Wish I had of bought the Python.

These Pythons won't be the same exact lockwork as the old ones and modern manufacturing methods (whether you believe it or not) have eliminated the need to hand fit every single part.

The new Python will be every bit as good, and likely better, than the originals even if the Colt collector retards will never admit it

OBTW, it's not "if" the Pythons come back. They're already here.

Once the ‘new’ wears off, I’ll be looking to buy one.

I own several Pythons from different years, and I own multiple S&W revolvers from different years. To me, the top 357 will always be the S&W 357 magnum ( pre-27) and the early 27’s.

Once the ‘new’ wears off, I’ll be looking to buy one.

I own several Pythons from different years, and I own multiple S&W revolvers from different years. To me, the top 357 will always be the S&W 357 magnum ( pre-27) and the early 27’s.

I have a 27-2, pinned and recessed, if Colt can exceed that level of sweetness than they have certainly achieved something special.

I have a 27-2, pinned and recessed, if Colt can exceed that level of sweetness than they have certainly achieved something special.

for me, the model 27 has been more consistent throughout the time periods Of manufacturing that I own.

2 of my pythons are equal to the 27 when it comes to smoothness of action. 2 of my pythons Are nowhere close. The finishes are superb on all of them.

Reactions: pmclaine
I hope they are every bit as good, cause I'd like to have a python. Also, I want a blued model, and I hope they can achieve that legendary blue of old.
I guess time will tell.

The reviews, so far, are very positive... with special attention to the trigger. They're saying the trigger is GREAT, much better than the original.

I MUST have one! They look gorgeous! But, please... bring back the "Royal Blue." I could see myself having two... a 4.25-inch in stainless, and a 6-inch in Royal Blue.

The same people who want all these cost inefficient manufacturing methods are the same ones who'll bitch up a storm at the price.

I prefer S&Ws with sleeved barrels. They are much more consistent in both barrel thread torque and front sight alignment.

i would really love to see smith go the the dan wesson barrel system. pretty much what they did, from my understanding. it’d be nice if they modified it so the owner could do the barrel changes.

I have many of both, but in my experience it takes $500 to a competent smith to make a S&W as smooth as a Python. If you’re super sensitive to a trigger that doesn’t stack you might prefer a Smiff, but even then it’s about comparable to the Colt .357, but still not the Python. My father and I were buying them over the counter for $700 back in the day.

Jerry Miculek disagrees with you. I have a lot of experience, and i am assuming you do as well. I dont think either of us would disagree that Jerry has more than both of us combined have....and then some. Jerry has commented on the pythons, and the smiths, and his comments reflect my experiences with the one i had.
I also shoot freedoms arms revolvers. And i dont play favorites. The smiths i have are as good as any revolver i’ve ever shot. And i think the korth is the only one i can think of that i havent fired....yet.

There was nothing special about the bluing they used. It has that dark luster and shine because the barrel and frame were hand polished on a series of polishing wheels to the point of being a mirror before they put the bluing on.

I should add, that i am happy colt is selling pythons again. I think revolvers are vastly underrated and will make a come back as more people realize the benefits they offer.

Recommend them often only to get looks of derision in response.

Model 36 on my hip right now is plenty of security and comfort.

The vast majority of people i have taught to shoot prefer revolvers over autoloaders. I try really hard to not lead anyone to a predetermined outcome. I just lay it out, them them try stuff. Whatever works for them and what they like is entirely up to them. I think one person prefered the autoloaders.

My noisy cricket is always on me....unless i am in the shower.

The originals are something special. Cant wait to see the 2020 models in person

Yes they were. I had one I bought at Bailey Spencer Hardware in Lynchburg Virginia for $275, circa 1975. Walked in, put the money on the counter, got a no name BOS and walked out. One of my great regrets is ever letting go of that. The trigger was scary smooth. I just got on the list for a 4".

I'm hoping that the release of these new models kind of keeps the rising prices of the originals stagnant for a year or so...all of my 2020 gun money is going into semi auto rifles for other reasons.

2021 will see me going after an original Diamondback in .22LR, and probably another SAA. I wanted an original King Cobra for quite a while, but nobody can convince me that a revolver that is really no better than a Pre-MIM/Pre-lock 686 is worth 2.5 times the price.

I do have a 1986 (crappy era) Python that belonged to my dad. It is LNIB with a total of 250 rounds through it. I also have a 1991 Anaconda in .44 Mag. I love those revolvers.

Python pic just because I can...

IMG_5471.JPG

$1300 would not be worth the dealer's time. Until the stock gets out there, if this isn't a limited run, they will be selling for a lot more.